Next Thread
Print Thread
#365190 Tue Oct 23 2012 05:04 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I recently picked up a 60s gulf stainless pump. I noticed that it was made by Southwest. I thought they were all made by Bennett. Now I think Southwest is still around, but I THOUGHT they only Re-maned pumps. I've seen it where the Re-man companies re-brand the pump, like Universal. Does anyone know if Southwest actually made these Gulf pumps?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Mike618b #365199 Tue Oct 23 2012 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They did indeed make pumps for Gulf. In fact , South West was a major supplier of equipment for Gulf over the years . Gulf simply mandated the cabinet style at it's stations ......... Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #365206 Tue Oct 23 2012 05:36 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Everybody made Gulf pumps. All of the major manufacturers during the 1930s-1970s built pumps with custom cabinets for Gulf, all very similar in design. Bennett, Tokheim, Wayne, Southwest, Erie, even a couple of Gilbarco designs, early on in the program. Gulf had its own rebuild shop (Atlanta) and would combined functional parts with cabinet parts, even ordering re-skin kits and modernizing pumps. Common practice with most majors and many pump rebuilders including Universel, Cherokee, and others. I've worked on a rebuilt pump with a Gilbarco pumping unit, Tokheim meter and air eliminator, and generic Veeder Root reset and switching. Known in the industry as "Frankenpumps" for their put-together design.
Southwest lasted into the early 1990s (I was a distributor) before selling out to Schlumberger. Schlumberger sold its pump line out to Tokheim, which has, of course, sold out to Wayne. I sourced a meter for a late Southwest electronic pump just last week.

Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Carolinatraveler #365286 Tue Oct 23 2012 08:50 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Just a little update on what happened to Tokheim.

"In 2002, Tokheim closed and filed bankruptcy. Tokheim Corporation’s international assets and subsidiaries were acquired by Tokheim S.A.S. Tokheim S.A.S. was acquired by COGNETAS, previously named Electra Partners Europe. Tokheim pumps are now made in France and Scotland. The right to make parts for existing pumps was purchased by the Dresser-Wayne Company, and Gasboy was purchased by Danaher (Gilbarco)."

This is part of my Pump Company history in my GP book.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved