Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Got two of these tire holders from my brothers junk yard when i was 12 years old. That was 24 years ago and I still have them.
Ryan, Gotta love the Mileage!

phpz0qtSSPM.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I had always been into dirt bikes and street cars and never had much interest in stock or antique items until this car. It is a 1928 Model A my Great-great-uncle traded a team of mules and a wagon to the dealer for, in Oklahoma, in 1928. My great uncle used to take me for rides in it when I was young. It has never been out of the family and I dreamed of it for years. Once I began taking care of the car, and began to appreciate items from this period, one old thing led to another!

photo.JPG
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
It would be hard for me to pinpoint the very first petro related item I collected, but I believe it would be a Mobilgas WW2 atlas I saved when I was helping my grandparents clean out a farmhouse they got with the purchase of farmland when I was probably 10 years old, around 1986. I still have it. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have saved almost everything we burned!
The item that REALLY piqued my interest in collecting, and my reason for joining this site in Sept of 2007 is my Red Crown thermometer. I bought it September 15, 2007 from a family member of the original owner who owned the Standard station in a very small local town. To know it has been in Hillsdale County for all these years is pretty neat. It's something I'll never get rid of! My brother found it for me. He called and said he found this thermometer, which I assumed right away was one of those 12" give away types. When he said "NO! It's like 6 feet tall and it's porcelain!" I knew I better take a look. My pen was smoking as I wrote the check but being it was my first "real" sign, I had no idea what it was really worth. All I will say is I got a heck of a deal on it. It's still one of my prized items, always will be!
Darin
The first pic is as found, the second after it was cleaned and framed. The sign is not touched up or even waxed in the picture and has beautiful gloss.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin, that Red Crown thermometer is KILLER !!

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have to say I have been into auto related stuff since I was much younger. I was always turned away from the gas and oil hobby due to the cost of the items. Finding great deals on items is what sparked my interest. Buying items I like is the most important thing...but spending big money was just not going to work for me. This was my first big sign purchase out of a local barn. I am glad I got into the hobby after staying away for a long time. Met some great people and found some great items.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Started with cars as so many of us...saw a little facade like this in paper on a swap meet and was intrigued by the gas station "theme". When a guy brought a similar facade but full size to a car show to show his 56 Sunliner I decided to get some pumps and start...
Called a person who was looking for gas items and asked "do you have any pumps", the answer was "oh yes, about 75"! Then I knew this could be addictive ;-)
Soon after this a person advertised pumps for sale and I got one, and soon enough two more...they were already sand blasted and primered - easy...the ball was rolling.

Found ebay, tested how it worked by buying a Mobil map and then got my first can - a Mobiloil qt bought by Scott Shiper. One of those in the pyramid.

The guy with 75 pumps passed by my home and left some stuff...possibly this Gargoyle flange that may have been my first sign.

//Claes

IMAG0276.jpg
Paper facade

Star Mix 1958.jpg
First pump...

IMAG0274.jpg
First porcelain sign - Gargoyle flange.

Mobiloil Pyramid x.jpg
Mobiloils

P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
I wish I had a picture, it was a Tokheim 300 and then it was on. Great thread here.

Thanks, Phil
C
C
pegasus My dad gave this to me in about 2000 when a guy kept pestering him to buy it,so he told him he didn't own it!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
That is a very nice looking Pegasus chevrolet!

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Standard Oil LDO sign and the Gift House Stamps signs were behind a neighborhood gas station where I filled up my Rupp Enduro mini bike. the owner told me I could have them and that started my addiction at a very early age. Many years outside has taken it's toll on the LDO sign so being my first, it now lives indoors.

103_2214.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I'm not a collector just a plain ole picker. This was my first pick for $100 sold it on Ebay for $600. Kinda wish I still had it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Cool pumps and great stories. Still love that Red Head rack too Don. You did your dad proud on that little corner. smile

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
this was the 1st thing that got me started

Sarcasm Is Just One More Free Service I Offer !
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
No pic and its really not a item but a person, my father as he introduced me to antiques,as he bought and sold to make ends meet. We hit ever junk store, antique shop ,estate sale,flee markets,or just out looking through the back hills of our state.
Yes I know you want a 1st item, all this built up to me buying a Tok 39. From there it just growed to full blown petro addiction as I refer to my desire to collect .Funny back years ago how much petro we walked over,passed on etc.,as my father didn't see a market for it.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Wed Nov 07 2012 03:44 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Last edited by Cold Pizza; Wed Nov 07 2012 03:55 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved