Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Today was a good day for me! I finally have my first clock face pump. I found this pump about five years ago but was unable to get anyone to answer the door to ask about it. A little old lady did look out the window but would not answer the door. At the time I felt like I had frightened her somewhat. I stopped again to ask about it sometime after that but again could not get anyone to answer the door. I asked a neighbor and was told the owner did not live there and I was not given the correct info as to the owner. I was pretty discouraged at this point and I really gave up on it. I am not the type of person that likes to bother people and I really was just afraid I would be told to stay away. A fellow old gas member (Mike) and friend recently got an 866 for himself and it just fueled the fire again for me to go after this pump. I stopped again last Friday and talked with another neighbor who happened to be a family member and gave me the info I needed to find the owner. I went to see the owner and met his wife (very nice lady) who gave me his number and said to give him a call later that day which I did. He was very nice also and the first time we spoke he told me he wanted to restore the pump and not sell it. He asked if I would restore it for him. I told him I was working on a couple of pumps at this time for myself but I did not think I was the right person for the job. We talked awhile longer and I asked him if I could make him an offer on it. I told him I would like to make him a fair offer on it. He seemed to like my offer (I did not try to low ball him) and said he would think about it and I could call back in a week. Let me just say that was a long week for sure! Last night I did not sleep to well and I was up at 6 am today thinking about it. Can you tell I was excited? Today when I called him he was very nice again and told me the pump was mine and he would be glad to meet me at the farm and help me load it up. I showed up this morning and he and his brother had the pump already disconnected and helped me load it up. He told me that his family had bought the property in 1926 and that pump came from a Shell station just down the road on the corner of main street in town. We talked awhile longer and I told him thank you for selling it to me. I took my rusty trophy by Mike's house to show it off. He has been collecting a lot longer than I have and has just about picked this county dry. I could not believe he did not know about this pump with it only being a few miles from his house. Hey Mike I finally got one up on ya! I think he was happy for me but I just had to rub it in a little. It just goes to show that they are still out in wild and that it really is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Finding the pump still on the farm after all these years is so much more satisfying than just buying it from another collector. I wonder how many of you remember your first clock face find and if you were as excited as I was?

Got it home and gutted it, pressure washed all the dirt/mold off of it, and put the side panel back on it. Tomorrow I need to move some pumps around and make room for the new addition to the family (which seems to keep growing). If I decided to restore this one it will stay Shell for sure. I could only find a little yellow paint left on this pump and I believe it was never anything but a Shell pump.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's an awesome pump Kevin! Thanks for dropping by and rubbing it in! I am happy for you but man I must be slipping! I never knew that was there but very seldom did I travel that road. Way to go Kev! Always better to make a good offer on a hard to find pump! Cannot wait to see that baby back in yellow and red with a nice clamshell globe! Enjoy!

Last edited by Mike Smith; Sat Nov 10 2012 06:21 PM.

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story and great pump! Perseverance pays!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice! Way to go……….

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I know the feeling you got from that find, its really fun when it works. congrats to you. And you even gave me a smile too. Thanks.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Oh Oh, you'll have to be careful. Expect a call from Oldgas member, St. Rod Larry from Colorado. He's been posting & looking for a face from a pump like yours!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is a great find! Sam is right I am on the hunt for a face. To get that pump and for it to have the ornate globe mount is a real plus. Not that many came with them. Keep us up to date on that beauty wink

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice find!

Great story!! On a great pump!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
leave that pump alone.do not restore!!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That pump is awesome. Nice find.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Kevin,
Thanks for posting and sharing your story.
You know as well as I Mike has found his share of pumps!!!!!!!
Bob in the Carolina's

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: towbizz33
leave that pump alone.do not restore!!!!!

Come on now, I like an original pump probably more than most people but let's be real. That baby needs restoration! Sorry, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. Having a great place like old gas where we can all share and talk about the hobby is priceless! St.Rod Larry I can't tell you how happy I was to see an original globe holder on this pump! Besides it being a clock face pump thats one of the 1st things that caught my attention.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great find, an awesome pump!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved