Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31393 Fri Jan 10 2003 08:56 AM
57Chev Offline OP
OP Offline
Just discovered this forum this morning, looks like a good place for info. My neighbor gave me a Red Crown globe the other day. What is it worth? It is in good shape other than having a piece cracked off at the base. The piece is approx. an inch high from the bottom of the globe and maybe 3-4 inches wide. I think you could still have enough of the base lip to mount it if you positioned it correctly. The reason I am asking is because I want to give him a little something for it. Also, when I was in Iowa this last fall hunting pheasant, I came across a pile (probabloy 25-30) old pumps. There were approx. 12 Tokheims, 10 Waynes, and some others that were a little newer (like 60'2 type). I stopped and looked at them and the problem was they were all either missing the doors, or the insides, or whatever. None of them were complete. It looks like they have been ravaged over the years for parts. I was able to contact the owner and he said he would sell them to me for $100.00 a piece. Is that a deal or are they not worth anything because they are missing the parts? I also saw a couple lubesters and an old grease unit. Are those worth anything? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#31394 Fri Jan 10 2003 11:43 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
First, I would do a search of this bulletin board using the hot link near upper right of each page. Key words being "Red Crown" or "red crown globe". There has been a good bit of discussion that could help you determine origniality and value. If you have more questions, then post them specifically and you'll get lots of help I'm sure.

Regarding the pumps, most would only be able to speculate on the value and worthiness of the $100.00 pumps if the model numbers were identified. All "old" Waynes or Tokheims are not created equally... some are worth $100 or much more for a carcus alone, and some are not. The man selling the pumps may know what he's got and priced them appropriately, or he may not.

Completeness is another key factor, and while repop parts are increasingly available, rebuilding pumps from repops in rarely economical or even viable. Check out the websites of a few of the ususal suppliers for prices on doors and bezels and such. Mentally add the prices of the needed parts to one of the pumps you recall seeing.

Then look in Jack Sim's book or equivalent (I will not debate if there is an equivalent book or where to buy it, so do even try to go there) and find the estimated value of the pump. The difference between the two numbers will give you an indication whether $100 is a splurge or a steal or a good investment.

This, of course, is just my two cents...

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Harris (edited 01-10-2003).]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved