Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#374590 Mon Dec 03 2012 01:33 PM
lando-4 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Getting ready to attempt my first paint project -- painting my Fry 17. I'm pretty handy, so I think I'm ready to tackle the task. My only problem is having too many choices of primer and paint to choose from.

I'm almost certain I'm going with PPG paint for the basecoat as I want to paint my pump Texaco Red and have the PPG code for that.

In regards to primer, I need some advice from the veteran painters out there.

I was in Advance Autoparts picking up some oil and strolled by the auto paint section. I saw they carried DupliColor "Paint Shop" gray primer. The guys behind the counter indicated it was ready to spray -- no thinning or activators needed. That peaked my interest immediately as it sounded like it would be easy to use. Has anyone used this product before? If so would you recommend it? It was around $28/qt.

I was about to pull the trigger on ordering SPI's gray epoxy primer + their activator (http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm), but came across the Dupli-Color primer.

I've read several hot-rod forums and several people swear the SPI products are some of the best stuff they have used. Has anyone used the SPI products? A qt of primer is $34 + a qt of activator is $34.

I'm looking for a good/quality primer that won't break the bank. Any suggestions / advice? Thx! Greg

Greg
On the lookout for Marland Oil / Conoco Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
lando-4 #374593 Mon Dec 03 2012 01:42 PM
If you are going to prime over bare metal, I would recommend Omni MP170 epoxy primer. You can buy it in a quart or gallon and it is inexpensive. It is mixed with a catylist 2-1.

I have never used any of the products you mentioned above. I will say, if it is ready to spray (no catylist) DONT use it!!

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Mon Dec 03 2012 01:43 PM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For over bare metal always us a self etching primer and as Ryan says always use a primer with a catylist. Nothing out there that is marked "ready to spray" is any good as far as adheasion or lay down qualities.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #374609 Mon Dec 03 2012 02:37 PM
Online Cool
I agree with the above comments. Just make sure you don't breath any of the fumes from a catalyst product. Great for durability, but seriously bad for your health. Use a respirator designed for catalyst vapor and good exhaust ventilation.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
lando-4 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the replys guys!

Ryan, I looked up the Omni MP170 that you suggested. I see that it is a PPG product. What other products in the Omni product line do you recommend. Any recommendations for the basecoat and clear products? Thx! Greg

Greg
On the lookout for Marland Oil / Conoco Globes
lando-4 #374613 Mon Dec 03 2012 02:55 PM
Their MBP paint line is pretty good for the money. The MBC paint line does not cover real well, but is much cheaper.

Im not a huge fan of any of the Omni high build primers, Their MC270 clear is good though, but I dont use it.

I like the autobody master (auto value branded) high build primer #8443. I also like their clearcoat #8900v. Good product for the $$

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF your going to display it outside, Use Rustolium it'll get that Faded Patina look a lot faster! LOL

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Another thought that we use is Powder coat primer, and then sand and do your other primers on top of that. Seals everything and gives a heavy heavy primer.

Craig
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I'm a huge fan of Southern Polyurethanes. Compatible with just about every single brand of paint and you cannot beat their prices for the quality with their primers and clears. Ships to your door free too.

Etch primers are typically used over aluminum or in production shops where they are under the clock to get things in and out rapidly such as insurance/collision work. Epoxy is the way to go if you have the time and you will not be disappointed with it. Plus it doubles as a final sealer before your base coat with a little reduction.

Just my two cents.

fuelboy #375150 Wed Dec 05 2012 10:25 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I've just sandblasted my first pump. I'm ready to start the bodywork and need some direction. Should I first coat the bare metal with and self etching or expoy primer, then begin the process of filling the imperfections with a high build primer or bondo?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved