Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#377104 Wed Dec 12 2012 11:58 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I bought ebay item number 281036789302....the code A698 down in the right-hand corner is a different lettering/font than that of sign/item number 330799031877. Has this sign been repro'd and/or does sign 281036789302 look legit? The only apparent differences I see are the sign code fonts/lettering..... Thanks

Last edited by BBQ Chicken; Wed Dec 12 2012 12:06 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I believe that the 330799031877 that you referenced is real. Why? I don't know. However, here is an interesting thing on the bracket.
The first pic is of course of an original on a station. Unless of course the pic is a fake. The second is of your referenced sign. Note the way the larger rear curl finishes against the brkt on the original but not on the referenced bracket. Also note on the original the reinforcement comes all the way out to the end. Now of course this could have just been two different sign companies???
I've watched these signs on the Bay many many time. I doubt this thread will go far because Sunoco seems to be a brand that is difficult to get great info on. We'll see. I hope to learn something.

restroom sign on station (2).jpg sunoco bath.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Wed Dec 12 2012 01:12 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Yes this sign has been reproduced. There is a vendor in NC that sells them on eBay. My original had the longer pointed spear as in the second photo above.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure that they are both right. But any more I'm afraid to say I'm positive. They all dont have that extra set of holes on the bottom. Bill ,aren't the repops obvious-or are you thinking the first one Dave asked about is bogus? It looks good to me. No? What pointed spear? The sign bracket or the cane in the guys hand? We've had a number of these over the years but I just cant remember if the numbers were all the same or not. Seems like if they were going to repop it to fool people, they would use the same numbers as the originals had. I sure hope its not a phoney.

Last edited by JimT; Wed Dec 12 2012 04:28 PM.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Here is a link to a repop. Does not have any numbers on bottom and has extra holes at ends. I haven't seen any with the extra holes at bottom but as Jim said both could be original. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-STYLE-SUNOCO...=item2ec43db692

Last edited by wfort39663; Wed Dec 12 2012 04:54 PM.

Bill Fortune
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
First pic is the sign the original poster purchased.
Second pic is the sign he referenced.
Third is very popular and often seen repop that is sold as a repop.
The 3rd sign is not even in the same league as the first two. And it is not sold as intending to be.
Fourth pic is just another random sign that sold on ebay.

The fifth pic is a side by side of the numbers from sign 1, 2 & 4, and gives a perfect illustration of the original posters question. Is it correct that these numbers are of different fonts? Does this make one of them an imposter? Note 2 & 4 appear to be the same.

1st.jpg 2nd.jpg fake.jpg 4th  160931595659.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Thu Dec 13 2012 07:12 AM.

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Fifth pic. I could only load 4 pics per post.

Although 2 & 4 look similar, they do have different holes with (sign 2) having the two holes at the bottom.

ScreenShot004.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Thu Dec 13 2012 10:07 AM.

Steve Coppens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Both of BBQs signs in question look to be straight to me. I haven't seen any top notch repops yet, doesn't mean they're not out there though. Took a couple pics, not great ones, of my Sunoco sign for comparison.

A698.jpg sunocoRR.jpg

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Does anyone know from when these signs date?
Here's the pan back shots of the station with the sign. Dont remember where I found these picks. It was on the web though.

Sunoco 1.jpg Sunoco 2 (2).jpg

Steve Coppens
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
What program are you using to blow the photos up that much and still have them so clear?

Mike
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Not sure if you were asking me or not, but I have a program on my machine called JASC Paint Shop Photo Album 4. I believe it is a Dell product. If I remember correctly it came with a machine I bought about 10 years ago and I installed in onto my current machine. It is very handy at cropping, editing image size, enhancing...
But in the end, blowing up a picture and having it be clear is pretty much dependent on the size of the original picture. ??? x ??? pixels.

ScreenShot005.jpg
Last edited by SC62; Sat Dec 15 2012 04:41 AM.

Steve Coppens

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved