Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just because you paid for something doesn't mean you can do whatever you like with it. Because you own your car does it give you the right to drive or equip it like you want? Ownership isn't and can't be your ticket to be greedy and destructive in the pursuit of profit. A conscience is a good thing. Ownership comes with a certain amount of responsibility.(originally posted by Daves Garage)

Though I dont't agree with what was done to the sign, I don't agree with the above comment. Fortunately we live in a country where we can do whatever we like with our possessions as long as we follow the letter of the law. Chopping a top on a hot rod, to taking a sign and making a new set of floorboards for your car, to yes adding neon to a sign. It is a free country and we dont have to like what others do but we have to appreciate the fact that if it is ours we can do as we like with it.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After reading the replies and seeing that the original intent of the post has been "skewed" through the eyes of Pickers that wear Rose Colored Glasses I am going to add my two cents. The POINT was that a rare sign has been destroyed for the sake of the almighty buck; not "can you believe that the guy bought that sign and now is trying to make a killing on it". Yes it's his sign and he can do what he wants with it; but the majority of the members (wait better clarify) “collectors” on this site think what happed is a travesty. The Nay Sayers on this post are in the extreme minority; if Collectors are having a conversation regarding such matters, Pickers should pass the post on by and spend their time looking for the next quick buck. JM2C smirk

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
junkinjohn you are right, for now. The way we are losing our freedoms, that may change. Right now, it's yours, you paid for it, do what you want. Others may not like it, but that's life.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Made from 2 INCOMPLETE pumps. When I'm Gone OR I sell it, next owner can do as they like w/ it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Junknjohn, you need to read the first paragraph of my post. I covered what you state.

As I stated earlier, ownership comes with certain responsibilities. One person may buy a reproduction sign. It is now their possession and they can sell it as a real sign (haven't broken any law). It's okay for them to do it because it's their possession. Morally, ethically and as a compassionate individual I could never do that. Others, can convince themselves it's okay to do because they live in a free country.

According to you; "Fortunately we live in a country where we can do whatever we like with our possessions as long as we follow the letter of the law.".

I also live in a free country where the current economic climate hasn't made people do some of the very things we speak of (sell fake signs as originals or add neon to original signs) on a regular basis.

Freedom comes at a great cost and it should be exercised with great care and respect. Ownership is one of those freedoms that should be respected.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Fri Dec 14 2012 08:50 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
(Quote: 1937 GMC) After reading the replies and seeing that the original intent of the post has been "skewed" through the eyes of Pickers that wear Rose Colored Glasses I am going to add my two cents. The POINT was that a rare sign has been destroyed for the sake of the almighty buck; not "can you believe that the guy bought that sign and now is trying to make a killing on it". Yes it's his sign and he can do what he wants with it; but the majority of the members (wait better clarify) “collectors” on this site think what happed is a travesty. The Nay Sayers on this post are in the extreme minority; if Collectors are having a conversation regarding such matters, Pickers should pass the post on by and spend their time looking for the next quick buck. (/Quote)

1937 GMC...you hit the nail on the head. Most of these type that come on here and try to jam their unwanted and out of place money driven agenda down our throats get the idea they are not wanted or appreciated and soon move on....some it takes longer than others I guess.

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Fri Dec 14 2012 09:16 PM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
That is a sweat pump DB!! I like it!

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dave I did read your entire post before commenting. I think it would be considered fraud to buy a reproduction sign and sell it as original and that is illeagel. Yes ownership is one of those freedoms that should be respected,and again I will say that I would never deface the sign as he did.However he did buy the sign and follow through with the transaction(we all had the chance to purchase the sign) And as his sign I respect his right to do with it as he wishs. I realize that I probably see this in a different light than others,as a real estate investor I deal with properties in "historic districts" where there laws regulating what I can do with a building I "own" down to getting approval on paint colors or altering the facade or what building materials I may use, I don't think anyone wants the hobby to come to this myself included.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Quote:
This has to be the only hobby where you can take a antique collectible and destroy it and sell it for more money

Mecum auction, last weekend in KC:
Resto-mod sold for $125,000
Complete "back to factory" rotisserie restoration sold for $40,000
I feel the same way about this, but it is what it is and as long as there's buyers, there's going to be sellers.

cam-1.jpg cam-2.jpg
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams
(Quote: 1937 GMC) After reading the replies and seeing that the original intent of the post has been "skewed" through the eyes of Pickers that wear Rose Colored Glasses I am going to add my two cents. The POINT was that a rare sign has been destroyed for the sake of the almighty buck; not "can you believe that the guy bought that sign and now is trying to make a killing on it". Yes it's his sign and he can do what he wants with it; but the majority of the members (wait better clarify) “collectors” on this site think what happed is a travesty. The Nay Sayers on this post are in the extreme minority; if Collectors are having a conversation regarding such matters, Pickers should pass the post on by and spend their time looking for the next quick buck. (/Quote)

1937 GMC...you hit the nail on the head. Most of these type that come on here and try to jam their unwanted and out of place money driven agenda down our throats get the idea they are not wanted or appreciated and soon move on....some it takes longer than others I guess.

Jim

RIGHT ON YOU GUYS !!!

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
What Jarvis fails to understand is that whether he likes it or not people have to make money and people are making a living out of selling old signs. That "rare" sign was sold for around $4K, and despite Jarvis' claims wasn't obviously the one seen on eBay (which was single sided original Neon and 1ft taller as indicated by the seller not some third party.) But lets say it was, the guy probably put another $2K investment in the sign and asked $25K for it. Someone with deeper pockets than Jarvis will display that sign, most probably with a large collection of cars and other signs and will probably get seen by more people than Jarvis' collection of Salt & Peppers.

The point was stated that "greed" was bad for this hobby. However, a hobby is only as feasible as long as somebody is aware of it and willing to participate at some level, whether beginner, amateur, expert, professional. The guy who pays $25K for a neon sign most likely isn't going to hang it willy nilly, is going to have the money to maintain it, display it, etc. The guy who used the same sign perhaps as a cesspool cover didn't care about it, maybe put some chips in it, etc. So tell me, who's the better caretaker? The one who ensures the sign a new life or the one who keeps damaging it?

If it weren't for increasing values on signs, the hoards of them would have been disposed of as scrap, so my friends, "greed" in this sense is good. I suggest you examine how you are perpetuating the hobby to increase the participation in it, keeping the interest up, ensuring that history is not lost. Are you writing down and documenting the details of each sign, pump, can you own and regularly inviting people to come see them? Or are you putting them in a shed where less than 100 people see them in a year and they just gather dust and corrode away with their history forgotten? Whose greed is worse? The one who gives a new life to a sign or the one who lets that sign continue to degrade from good to average to fair to junk.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The listing says the item is no longer for sale and it doesn't show a bid so he took some offer, who knows how much lower. I sold a sign once and the guy later showed how he drilled holes into it and made a neon, he was proud but I didn't like him doing it but didn't say anything since it was his sign, I never would have done it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 1937 GMC
After reading the replies and seeing that the original intent of the post has been "skewed" through the eyes of Pickers that wear Rose Colored Glasses I am going to add my two cents. The POINT was that a rare sign has been destroyed for the sake of the almighty buck; not "can you believe that the guy bought that sign and now is trying to make a killing on it". Yes it's his sign and he can do what he wants with it; but the majority of the members (wait better clarify) “collectors” on this site think what happed is a travesty. The Nay Sayers on this post are in the extreme minority; if Collectors are having a conversation regarding such matters, Pickers should pass the post on by and spend their time looking for the next quick buck. JM2C smirk

The best post yet, To bad someone just doesn't get it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Originally Posted By: 1937 GMC

The best post yet, To bad someone just doesn't get it.

X2!! His sign, his right to do with it as he wants. With that being said I also think the guy should have his testicular development decreased for destroying a rare sign. its not like the car example which can always be reversed, there is no way to put this sign back to original condition.
It's not like DB's work, he didn't destroy two original pumps he used parts.

Jay Leeper
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Carolinaskies, I am telling you they are the same sign! The guy telling me knows the sign.

The stock camaro in mecum is an example of a restored pump to factory and then the restomod is something like dick built. Cool and many guys like it including myself. LOL
Better example of the camaro would be comparing a real yenko to a regular 6 cyl yenko clone.

This thread is about taking a nice original sign and turning it into junk. Everyone knows... "It's there signs and they can do what they want" and true and if they want to put them in the scrap yard that is fine also. LOL

This thread is like beating a dead horse. First of jan someone else can start a post of some junk some greedy person has turn original stuff into junk.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved