Next Thread
Print Thread
S
strnge Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I did a very large loop of the United States this summer and noticed the prices for Gas Stuff was extremely high. I figured I while being in some small town in the middle of nowhere, I would find good prices. Boy was I wrong.

Here are a few examples:

$1000 each Gulf sign below. $400 for the broken one.

$175 for shell water can below

$379 for a metal sign below so rusted it was as thin a paper and brittle.

Last edited by strnge; Fri Dec 14 2012 10:28 PM.

Mike
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Yep, the cost has gone up, sometimes much more than some like. However there are still good buys out there and wholesale sellers who have lots for sale rather than just a couple of pieces.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds about right to me. Very difficult to buy common items for a fair price. I have found that its easier to buy rare items. If you cant look it up on the internet and find a comparable sale.......then the antique dummies and pickers dont have the knowledge to buy and flip.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Maybe the shop owners don't want to sell those items...rather keep them around for conversation pieces.

Last edited by porcelain-neon; Sat Dec 15 2012 07:41 AM.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I always felt that many of these gas related items are overpriced for a couple reasons. First, people are attracted to the store. If they see it on the road, maybe they will stop and there is a chance they will buy something else. Most of the time if you go to a retail store expect to pay retail or more. Most of these high priced items are off condition and at the current high asking price they are waiting for an uneducated buyer or will sit with the item forever. I cant say that all
Anqitue shops are high as I have picked up some fantastic items at rock bottom prices. It all depends on location and if the owners/consigners want to move the stuff or begin creating a museum. I cant tell you the amout of time i have watched items sit at a store for over 2 yrs and do not sell. Some people will not come down on price.....thats the time to walk away.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Supply & demand determine value. Let's not forget to factor into this equation; greed and the fact that everyone is an expert on determining price and rarity.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I'll be posting some antique store picks from this afternoon for sale a bit later. It's a place where there are some definitely expensive signs, but now and again I find some pieces there with some meat on the bone.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
C
C
My grandpa was from the era of the original pickers he passed it on to my dad and he passed it to me. SOMETHING IS ONLY WORTH WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT! This hobby is expensive because there is not a lot of it around and what is around everybody wants. I have no problem overpaying for something I get to leave it all to my kids

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello Mike,

Yes you are right stuff out there even off the farm is much higher than ever before. I sometimes find the better deals at shows! Do you have any other pictures of stuff found to share?? Did you find any pumps?

Rob

S
strnge Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I found some pumps too. I don't have any pics though. I will have to look for more photos of stuff I found.

I have always found good deals at shows, but then I have found extremely high prices at shows too. I just laugh out loud and walk away.

I have and will never pay for something at full retail or above retail price. I can wait till I find the same thing later at a better price. There is nothing in the world I need that badly.

As far as places I look for items, I look everywhere.....friends, friends of friends, farms, stores, buildings...etc... I am always on the hunt. I go to the antique stores with my wife because she loves to go there to look for her items. I tag along to look for mine with a good price. I buy to keep, not for resale, but maybe I should to make some additional cash. It seems like everyone on here is doing that.

Last edited by strnge; Sun Dec 16 2012 04:54 PM.

Mike
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I went to Texas once thinking I would find alot of gas and oil and deals, was rudely surprised,very little to find and what I did was higher then at home

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: strnge
I found some pumps too. I don't have any pics though. I will have to look for more photos of stuff I found.

I have always found good deals at shows, but then I have found extremely high prices at shows too. I just laugh out loud and walk away.

I have and will never pay for something at full retail or above retail price. I can wait till I find the same thing later at a better price. There is nothing in the world I need that badly.

As far as places I look for items, I look everywhere.....friends, friends of friends, farms, stores, buildings...etc... I am always on the hunt. I go to the antique stores with my wife because she loves to go there to look for her items. I tag along to look for mine with a good price. I buy to keep, not for resale, but maybe I should to make some additional cash. It seems like everyone on here is doing that.

Next buying trip out of state , Throw mud on lic. plate to hide where your from! Everyone thinks Calif. is the Golden State.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved