Next Thread
Print Thread
#392129 Wed Feb 06 2013 04:48 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
When buying add glass on ebay and not holding it in your hands, is there any accurate way to tell if fake or real?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #392132 Wed Feb 06 2013 05:17 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Depends what you're looking at. Some ad glass for Wayne's were stamped WAYNE, others had coded numbers. What are you looking at ?

blacktee #392134 Wed Feb 06 2013 06:04 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I was hoping there was some general rule but I guess that is asking a lot. I see Sky Chief, Flying A, Sunoco... all the time. I would like to get some of these, and have bought a couple Sunoco, but I just never know.
There is a nice data base of sizes on one of the pump parts suppliers websites that I use to judge size. But I'm sure there is tolerance in the making of them and depending on the sellers knowledge and ability to measure accurately, this is not an exact science.

Here's one example. 230924711294 Now this sure looks real to me but is there any way to really know for sure?

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #392179 Wed Feb 06 2013 09:23 AM
That one I believe to be real due to the NG marking. Most all re-pops have nothing on them. A lot of Flying A add glass shows up on ebay that appears to be new old stock , which can be confusing to some, because they look brand new. If it had no markings I would be suspicious. For example I just bought a Indian ad glass that has the form number 2-25155 along the edge. Definitely a real one. Also most all of my Chevron ad glass says Smith Morse CO. along the edge, even my Wayne 70 has that name on it which like blacktee said will usually say Wayne. Hope this helps.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks!! That does help. I'll be looking for the little text along the edges. I suppose it's no guarantee, but at least it's one more piece of amo in the clip when trying to ID these pieces.

Thanks again.

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #392683 Fri Feb 08 2013 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get all the Repop Catalogs ya can and study w/ what is readily available.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, the Flying A glass is real...

For me, once I owned some original glass... The differences between repop/fantasy and original glass seemed obvious...

But, maybe I'm just "fooling myself into believing I can tell the differences.... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
very easy way to tell is how the light comes thru it behind a light bulb every color should be bright also the backside should have some light shelving were the lettering or the graphics are i have also found that the backsides should almost look white washed with typically a white color, slightly covering the colors that it displays. this is the easiest way that i can tell. and of course if its numbered or signed good way but then again they are making repop of pam and telechron clocks that are signed with pam and telechron clock co logos just like originals.

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
For example I just bought a Indian ad glass that has the form number 2-25155 along the edge. Definitely a real one.

Greg you should of told me you were an oldgaser, I would have given you a discount. : )

blacktee #393974 Wed Feb 13 2013 10:49 PM
I didn't make the connection until after the fact. I will know next time. Thank you!

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Okay so here is another one. Now my gut tells me this is real and he claims it is. But is there anyway to know by just looking at this listing. I'm not saying after you have it in your hands. I don't see any text along the edges.

As was my original question, is there any sure fire way to know when the only evidence you have is the ebay listing?

$(KGrHqF,!okFD)uLKVH,BRHuopk4Rg~~60_12.jpg

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #394587 Sat Feb 16 2013 08:32 AM
Here are some pics of my ad glass. You can see how they are weathered and stained from years of use. The one on ebay could be NOS. Not all wayne glass had the wayne stamp on them, but as clean as that one is I would be skeptical. But that is just me. They have been reproduced for quite a few years now, and if he got it second hand, he can only go by what he was told.

c8.JPG c10.JPG c9.JPG
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not all original ad glass has markings for numbers or is stamped for Wayne. I can usually eyeball these now. I agree with Dick. You can sometimes look at the pictures and tell the roughness of the back. most originals i have are rough, not smooth.

Kyle DeKoning

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved