Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe it's all in my mind. But, when I cut ad glass it seems to snap a lot different then normal plate glass. It usually breaks off in smaller pieces.

I'm not saying that it gets fully tempered like safety glass. But, enough to change it's properties slightly.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave, Lick the wheel before using the Glass Cutter, it'll cut cleaner.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A long time ago I use to make lamps from 1 liter/quart pop bottles. I would drill a hole in the bottom for the wire and a small piece of tubing to mount it to a wooden block.
I had moderate success with using a "glass bit" and often it would leave small chips around the hole.

An old timer that worked with glass told me to use a piece of copper tubing in the drill with a polishing compound. It worked slower, but made nice clean holes with no chipping. I don't recall the polishing compound I used, just that it was very fine powder.

Chuck

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I put 39 years in & retired from a plant where we made nothing but glass cutting / drilling equipment. Of course our drilling machinery used diamond drills which were just like a hole saw for wood. One drill on the bottom & one on the top would drill through the glass & meet in the middle, thus producing a slug. The grinding solution was pumice. If you don't need a perfect hole in the glass, a simple way to do it, is to glue a rubber grommet to the glass & slowly sandblast the inside of the grommet. It will work!

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I have a dremel with a glass cutting tool and lubricating oil. It works very slick. To help stop the walking that was described, I put down two to three layers of masking tape. Mark the spot where I want my hole then take a little bit of the tape off where the hole will be. Its usually just enough to get the hole started. Once it's started, it doesn't walk. I've only cracked glass after I've drill a hole, never while drilling.

Last edited by DasFast1; Sat Mar 16 2013 07:43 AM.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Lots of great ideas, will let you know how it goes. Thanks to all in the Forum!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Might try some of the glass etching acid. I believe it is "flormetric acid" or close..
I put some in a glass bottle once, and in about 6 hours it ate the bottle in two at the top of the acid line. RD

R D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Glass drill bits are the best way, and tape the area with masking tape, helps with vibrations.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved