Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
hi all..
I've wanted to do a motorcycle themed pump for some time now and I've seen so many harley davidson capco globes on eBay etc. and was questioning whether they actually sold gas?? Is it just companies creating some capco version globe so to join the list of non-petrol station items or actually because H.D. petrol stations actually existed.

If H.D. actually did sell gas, anyone have any pics? would love to see how there colours & pumps were?

thanks a lot

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have been around this hobby for almost 30 years and I belive I have the largets collection of service station litterature ever accumulated.

So..I do not have one piece of literature indicating H-D ever sold anything other than motorcycles and oil. No doubt the oil they sold was was supplied to them by a company that packaged private label oil in qt. cans. No way would H-D build a refinery just to make their motorcycle oil.

H-D always had a hard time of it, just read their history, I don't belive they ever had the resorces to open a petro station to sell a H-D branded gasoline.

These globes you see for sale were all made without the permission of H-D, nor were 100s of other items being sold with their logo on them. In the early years they tried to enforce copyright infringement viloations, but I belive it just go out of hand and they quit.

Nobody today bothers to get permission to use the H-D (Coka-Cola, Pepsi) logs so be very careful about what you are purchasing.

As to your situation, as long as you are not trying to start a business selling H-D gas pumps, have fun with you pumps. Build a H-D service station, pretend you have the first and only H-D station ever built.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Thanks Jack... once again your a wealth of knowledge... It will be a one off once I eventually get around to convert a pump into it..
cheers
Martin

Online Cool
I've seen a working gas pump at the side entrance of a Harley dealership. I suppose it was for the use of the sales & service departments. It did not appear to be a public retail gas station.

I have always heard that Harley Davidson sold a newly-made vintage-looking pump as a decor piece with H-D logos on the pump and globe.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
I've seen a working gas pump at the side entrance of a Harley dealership. I suppose it was for the use of the sales & service departments. It did not appear to be a public retail gas station.

I have always heard that Harley Davidson sold a newly-made vintage-looking pump as a decor piece with H-D logos on the pump and globe.

Jim
thats interesting... i had a pic from a ford service department with the same setup and thats what got me doing a ford version last year.
Cheers

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim

These globes you see for sale were all made without the permission of H-D, nor were 100s of other items being sold with their logo on them. In the early years they tried to enforce copyright infringement viloations, but I belive it just go out of hand and they quit.
Nobody today bothers to get permission to use the H-D (Coka-Cola, Pepsi) logs so be very careful about what you are purchasing.
Jack Sim

Actually things got out of hand in the 70's during the chopper craze and by 1982 when Willie G. Davidson, Vaughn Beals and the rest of the investment group bought Harley-Davidson back from AMF they then decided enough was enough, too much revenue was being lost and had the company lawyers go after anyone making a buck off the H-D name without company permission. They shut down damn near everyone with court action, farmed out the items to anyone who got licensed by H-D to produce them and made millions in the process.
Ken
PS. Harley-Davidson is still very protective of their name & image, with a place on the company website dedicated solely to reporting copyright infringment.

Last edited by kwilal; Fri Apr 19 2013 07:06 PM. Reason: additon
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Originally Posted By: Oldgas

Here's a few in the H-D lineup.
Ken

http://www.harley-davidson-gear.com/Harley-Davidson-Nostalgic-Vintage-Replica-Gas-Pump.html

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved