Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#416186 Wed May 15 2013 05:13 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Lost another old timer, Wendell Groff. I think it is sad to tell someone what they mean to you after they are gone. So with that in mind I want to say I really appreciate all of you "old" guys who are still here and willing to share your wisdom and knowledge. I did not know Wendell and I am sad that is true. I will turn 51 this year and hope to meet alot of you guys at the future shows. I can't make too many of them but will be at Iowa gas on Thursday and Friday. Wish I could get there sooner and may do it if things work out right. God bless the family of Mr. Groff. But God bless you guys who can still read this. Dick, Jim, John, Jack, Bob, Butch and countless others, thanks for loving this hobby and growing up the next generation with patience. I love this hobby and never get tired of logging in here at Oldgas to read the latest. I am going to copy this to a new topic as well because I know alot of people on here agree with me. As a side note, we have a lot of younger guys who are a real asset as well so a shout out to them as well. People like Scott B and Lonnie H.have helped me more than I can ever repay. I call them friends along with so many others. This is a great site and it is okay to say that often in my opinion....Happy hunting! Mike Haggard - Oklahoma

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said and I agree. I also want to acknowledge thanks to Randy (advertologist), Kevin (K W Frith), Dan (Mattgas) as they have proven to be an asset to the hobby and have helped me in the past. Very much appreciated guys!! Thank you

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Yep agreed. there is just no way i can list them all, so the rest of you guys chime in like SUPER SPORT just did. Thanks

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Maurice Campbell (souperhigh) has been like a father to me and a great friend. I am proud to know him and to be able to call him a friend.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Well said, the members here with the answers is what makes Oldgas special and the best petro site. Many has showed interest in me and thanks go out as you know who you are.
What upsets me is the newbie who thinks the veterans are required to answer questions.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will add a few to the list Aaron Hopp, Maurice, John Jarvis,Bill Fortune, and Scott Shipers I consider all of these guys my friends and all have a wealth of knowledge and each will impart the knowledge if you ask. If I would not have met these guys earlier on I wouldn't have stayed with it. These guys make it fun and will help you with your collections in anyway they can.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to thank all of you that contribute on Oldgas and The Pitstop!...

I've been "around the block" a few times in regards to the Hobby... But, the highlight most days for me, is coming to the 2 websites...

Most everyday, I see and/or learn something either new or someone will re-enforce a question I have with a definitive answer... Starting in the Hobby, long before the 'web, before the Shows, before the magazines and Collector's Guides and long before sites like Oldgas and The 'stop... I never realized how little I really knew!!!!

I've made a number of friends here and at Cheese's... And I've "rubbed more than my fair share of Members wrong, while here.

I've seen a "ton" of items that never made it too my side of the Mississippi in there "hey days".... So my Thanks to All of You, for helping me enjoy the Hobby, more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have attended the CTO convention every year but the first one, IG, every year except the first one and the last one. When DB said he was not going to IG last year I decided not to go.

Will turn 78 between CTO and IG, but I intend to go to both this year, so if you see a guy with a Korean Veteran hat, that's me, please say hello.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great thread!!! Too many of members to list here and just want to go along with this thread and say many thanks for all the help over the years.
I'm 55 and have been collecting most my life and have been going to Iowa Gas for the past 11 years. I have talked, traded and bought from many of you.

I know a number of faces and some names and only have one request for all those members that read this thread.......

PLEASE PLEASE wear your name tags at the shows so the newer ones to this hobby can put a face to the name. I know some of you do but others don't and it's funny how later I look at spot that I saw something and forgot to go back and see that it's someone I have spoken to a number times and now have a face.

Special thanks to one we lost this past year Mike Rhein who pointed me in so many directions in the Hobby that I lost count. Ron Scobie who still helps with every restoration and if he doesn't have it he points me the right way.
Darryl Tilden (ROAD RELICS) for the friendship from the start.
And way too many more to list!!!

Thank you all and I promise to Pay it forward in this hobby as often as I can for many years to come.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
You'd be Easier to spot & be COOLER if you wear your KILT! laugh laugh laugh

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thanks Jack - I'll be looking for that hat and looking forward to meeting one of the greats in the Hobby. Thanks Again.
Mike

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
DB - when I think of you, I think of black pug with a cigarette. If you are going to the shows bring the dog so we know who you are. LOL. God bless you. Thanks.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL--Be careful trying to find db at Iowa Gas. The first time I met him, he was standing a couple feet away on purpose. Told me that he had been within 2 feet of me several times during the day and wondered why I didn't say HI! LOL-I had no idea what he looked like until Mick pointed him out. He doesn't go incognito, but he blends in well, unless he's riding his electric scooter!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: cig31
Maurice Campbell (souperhigh) has been like a father to me and a great friend. I am proud to know him and to be able to call him a friend.

I spoke to Maurice on the phone last night for almost a good hour about our collections and Skelly memorbilia. Super nice guy and would love to meet him and tour his collection the next time im down that way.

-Brian
Originally Posted By: LSx
Originally Posted By: cig31

I spoke to Maurice on the phone last night for almost a good hour about our collections and Skelly memorbilia. Super nice guy and would love to meet him and tour his collection the next time im down that way.

Maurice is a great guy all around and my wife and I are privileged to call him our friend! He really helped us get into this hobby and is just one the nicest guys you'll ever have the opportunity to meet. He may be an old timer grin but he has the heart of a kid (especially now that it's all fixed-up)!

Looking for Tulsa Oil Globes, any Tulsa-based cans, Troco anything, Bosch signs and clocks, original VW dealership stuff and original white capcos!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved