Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've known Diane and Dick Kinsey for more than 20 years and they were dealing in vintage advertising long before I met them. You could not find 2 nicer nor more knowledgeable people in this hobby. Diane is obviously passionate about this and has brought it to the forefront more than any of us have just by shear volume. She I believe, has put a dent in the problem and gotten people to act. I don't think insulting her by calling her whiny, controlling and condescending is productive at all and telling her to start her own website counters your claim to respect what she's doing.
Originally Posted By: JimT
I believe the vast majority of the collectors and dealers that peruse Oldgas would agree that they are grateful for your efforts. I personally think you are shooting yourself in the foot by coming across as controlling and whiny and condescending in your rant. I think Mark meant Jim P. in the above post. If you dont like what Jim (or any moderators) do with your posts, just start your own web sight, then you can put them where ever you want. If you hang around this sight long enough you will find that he is more than a fair moderator. And a truly good human being. You are not the only knowledgeable collector on this sight that can spot a repop. Many of our collections are affected by this scourge. Again,I, personally, respect your efforts and the energy you are putting forth but IMO this thread is having a retroactive effect on your crusade.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Sorry, I mean Jim instead of Jack.
Thanks for the notification Dick

Working together can accomplish way more than pulling in different directions.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: ddkinsey
...the devastating effect the forgery/fake items are having on the hobby in general. Hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not to mention the sour taste the poor new collector has when he finds out he just spent thousands on what he thought were original "rare" pump signs. Or wonderful ice cream collectables. Maybe he got burned on fake license plate toppers.

...I definitely agree with the above quote, pulled from Diane's reply - but I also agree that the 'Known & Suspected Unmarked Petro Reproductions' and the 'Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Petro Photo Album' are the best places to 'file' the posts pertaining to the counterfeits...

...could the 'Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Petro Photo Album' be set up differently? perhaps...maybe if the posts were in alphabetical order, they'd be easier to search...as there aren't that many posts (yet) that isn't a problem at the moment...

...I would also suggest that members (myself included) who take the time to post in another forum about a fake on eBay, etc, should also take the time to post in the 'Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Petro Photo Album', and to post with a title such as 'Texaco flange sign' that will be useful when searching...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
One thing I have noticed here is that people only list the ebay listing number about a fake sign.

This is useless!

You need to post the photos from the listing. The listings expire after a couple of months and then there is nothing to "see for reference."

Diane, you are a great help to those of us who hate the fake/repo stuff and sellers that go with them. Please don't stop posting. I too find ones and list them or ask questions about them.

Mike
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I understand Dianes anger over these repros and fakes. especially the crooks that AGE them and sell as originals..But there is literally dozens of them on Ebay every day..If all were posted in the FAKE topic section, it would be overflowing in a short while.. As far as the sellers, most know this stuff is wrong, but could care less. Just make a buck..
We can rant all we want, on this forum, but I would bet 90% of the buyers doesnt know we exsist..I dont have an answer,,,RD

R D
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Caveat Emptor

Appreciate your enthusiasm but when novice buyers get burned its an education of sorts... And education is rarely cheap.

There is no putting the genie back in the bottle as far as the proliferation of fake signs.

Jim has his way to deal with it (repro forum) and I think we should honor that.

Last edited by DCpate; Sat May 25 2013 03:40 PM.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
W
W
Posting a couple of pictures in Known & Suspected Reproductions Gallery does little good with out size & what is not obivous to someone that has never had the real item.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Watchdog7
Posting a couple of pictures in Known & Suspected Reproductions Gallery does little good with out size & what is not obivous to someone that has never had the real item.

Well presented young man !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Well said Watchdog7

OK, let's see a brave person to show us a good format to represent an ORIGINAL sign vs that of the COPY.

IMO, it should be presented next to each other + 1024 x 1024 as minimum resolution.

We can start with the famous SOCONY AIRCRAFT.

Thanks!

"Hen"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK, I'll Bite.
Just posted this in Known & Suspect Gallery.
[All pictures there are click-able for a larger image]

HancockGas-Repop vs Original.jpg
Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sat May 25 2013 07:35 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
good job

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Now, we are talking!

Awesome work, db!

THANK YOU!

Also, many THANKS to Diane for starting this thread!

Last edited by henlovestoys; Sat May 25 2013 07:55 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
this isn't a fake but this puny picture is the only size I can seem to post.
Dick yours looks very professional a big thumbs up for that.

002 (640x474) (150x111).jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks.
I use Photo Shop & have learned how to Tweek images, either by Resolution &/or Image size. Also by Saving As either a Large or Small File [size].

[Diane has seen/used my Decals]

Wolf's Head.jpg
Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sat May 25 2013 09:00 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved