Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Excellent D.B. Thanks!!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
db,

I noticed, you added the SHELL to the section (Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Petro Photo Album).

I must admit you have spoiled us with your creative format to highlight the differences. I understand it requires knowledge about differences + photoshop work to add arrows.

Is it fair for us to send you a request per sign?

I would like to start with the "SOCONY AIRCRAFT". I learned the differences from you.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

Thanks,

"Hen"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Although it is nice to see the differences,It is a fact the problem sellers and makers of these reproductions do visit this site often. You can bet they will take this info and better their fake junk. By doing this now we are no doudt contributing to even more future problems as reproductions are perfected.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's what I was thinking !

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
OK, point well taken.

But …

IMO:

1-some of the older signs have non-computer generated FONTS, hence, it makes it
tough to match the art work to that of the ORIGINAL fonts. I know this from a great artist I know.

2- Color matching is a nightmare. This is from the experience when I had the sign business.

3- The quality of PORCELAIN sign copies (thickness + workmanship) are dead give-away.

Sing experts, please comment/correct/add to the bullets above.

Thanks,

"Hen"

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
You have a valid point. The fox is already in the henhouse. However the crooks can and do find plenty of places to upgrade the quality of whatever they make. They make so much money on this stuff they just buy originals.
I guess we have to look at the positive side. It is a great teaching tool. I no longer have access to real pump signs and over time forget the details I can use to point out the difference between the real and fake.
I believe that we have a responsibility to teach when and where we can. Books are great but the fake signs have made their way into most publications.
Dick Bennett is a wizard at this photo and posting stuff. He is a wonderful asset to this website. Maybe he would agree to post photos of pieces he does not have access to, for the members. I believe whatever we can do will only have a positive affect on the hobby.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Diane, After reading Neils post this morning, and giving it quite a bit of thought throughout the day, I have to agree that I had no business addressing you in that manner. Since I spoke that way to you on a public forum, I am going to try to apologize to you in public. I do appreciate the effort and energy you are putting forth. I'm sorry I got snappy with you.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Apology accepted thank you. I also apologize if I have stepped on any toes, I just try to do the best I can. If I fall short I will get up, dust myself off and try again. I am on your side and my motives are righteous.
Go Giants!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Diane,
Your doing a great job- keep it up!
Go A's.. cool

Last edited by Watchdog7; Mon May 27 2013 10:49 AM. Reason: Remove Non Petro Image
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are the folks that are repopping the Capcos, from the original molds, marking them with a date or ??? I have not found a "new" marking on the one that I got from Vics 66, yet, but now it's on top of the visible until a few days from now when I take it over to the Tyler grange for Tyler Daze on Sat.
I was told that Gas Pump Heaven's are marked with their name on them.
So, are there different manufactures that have copies of the original Capco molds and if they are not marking them, how do we figure out if a capco globe came from the 50s, 80s, or now???

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe
Are the folks that are repopping the Capcos, from the original molds, marking them with a date or ??? I have not found a "new" marking on the one that I got from Vics 66, yet, but now it's on top of the visible until a few days from now when I take it over to the Tyler grange for Tyler Daze on Sat.
I was told that Gas Pump Heaven's are marked with their name on them.
So, are there different manufactures that have copies of the original Capco molds and if they are not marking them, how do we figure out if a capco globe came from the 50s, 80s, or now???

New Capcos are real flexible like they are made by Rubber Maid, originals don't flex near as much. I am sure the globe guys can tell you other things to look for on them also.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Just curious ...

Doesn't this "CAPCO" question belong to a NEW thread?

W
W
Why? Very few Topics ever stay on subject!
asking the differences of original vs reproduction.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
OK. You are the Boss!

I will rest my case!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My understanding is that Time Passages bought the original Capco molds years ago thus, I suppose, the Capco name on them. Because of materials used, they are very flexible. I just purchased a quantity from them and inserted both original (used) and NOS lenses in them and everything lines up and fits very well.
After thinking about the issue for a while, I personally have no problem with the new bodies as there is a cosmetic problem of some sort with every original body that I have.

Someone has mentioned the existence of "fake" Capcos-out of new molds, and problems of fitment. Someone else will have to address that.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved