Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37180 Thu Sep 20 2007 06:04 AM
T
Thurman Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm still learning in this field so--I've noticed that some pumps for sale on this site and E-bay have had their guts removed and some have not. Other than making the pump lighter, or a person's personal choice, is there any good reason to remove the internals from a pump. My preference would be to clean them up and leave them in.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#37181 Thu Sep 20 2007 06:08 AM
S
S
I removed the "guts" os my pump to make it lighter. Stuff I removed was easily 100 pounds.
I also didn't want any old gasoline leaking out of it while I was moving it, or when it was in my garage. Good thing, too, there was at least a couple of quarts left in it, even some in the hose.

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.
#37182 Thu Sep 20 2007 08:00 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Over the years I restored many pumps & sold them to restaurants,for other people's gamerooms etc. I always gutted them, steam cleaned, sandblasted all parts, & used all new bolts. That way there was NEVER the hint of the smell of old gasoline. I did them this way even for my own restoration. Never know when someone someday wants to buy it from you for their "special place". Sam

#37183 Thu Sep 20 2007 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gut em!!! No sense dealing with the weight or the hazards of the old gas in them. They sometimes leak on me after buying them before I get them gutted and it is a possible fire hazard.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#37184 Thu Sep 20 2007 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I collect pumps for me to enjoy, but also to preserve for future generations. IMHO, to remove the guts on a pump is like stealing it's soul. But that's just me.........

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

#37185 Thu Sep 20 2007 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can appreciate Pogo's stance. However, I gut them for all of the reasons listed above. I don't think they will ever be reused. If you are leaving it outside, the extra weight from not gutting them will help deter thieves. Besides, gutting a pump and taking the material to your recycler will get you some $$$. I just did three pumps and got $55.00. Not a lot, but put fuel in the tank for pump hunting.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#37186 Thu Sep 20 2007 09:07 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
It does depend on the pump.in Pogo,s case I would leave them intact.

But on more common pumps like Tokheim 36 and Wayne 60, and all pumps cheaper than those, I would not worry about it..

#37187 Thu Sep 20 2007 12:25 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
My .02 is guts = PITA. Pumps were my first love in all this stuff and ungutted pumps is why I now collect quarts.

#37188 Thu Sep 20 2007 12:52 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The pumps I have restored have all had the guts removed. I have them in my basement,definitely don't need any gas vapors down there! The pumps I have done are all from the 40's and 50's and all still had a small amount of gas left in the pump, even after all those years. As you already know by now, a few drops of that old varnished gas can sure go along way!!! Not quite as potent as "Thunders" skunks but surely a close second.(lol). If you are storing your pumps in a well ventilated area, I guess it would be your choice...just hope you don't have to move them often!!!
Kurt

#37189 Thu Sep 20 2007 01:55 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I've bought and sold literally hundreds of gas pumps over the years, to customers all over the United States and Canada...from the run-of-the-mill to the super-rare. I've only ever had ONE person tell me they wanted the guts left in them. Don't know if that means anything or not, but thought I'd chime in.

#37190 Thu Sep 20 2007 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guts can hold gas that could be varnished ....stinks BAD and most likely contain LEAD...LIQUID LEAD...poison!!!!Ok for outside not so good in the house.
Even if you drain them with the plugs, they usually will still hold gas.
The last pump I sold, the guy wanted the guts intact so he could use it to fill his Bi-Plane...you never know what request you will run into down the road.
There is a downside to gut removal....some of the parts that are in the cabinets are still needed at times, and they get sent to the scrapyard. I rebuilt some Wayne 60 METERS for a guy in Alaska. He had Weights & Measures approve the use of dispensing gas from two Wayne 60's. I had to use 6 cores to build 2 good ones....he wanted 4 meters. I could not find more cores at the time.
Wayne 60/70 Meter.

Gears off the tops of G&B meters will work with some modification to fix the gears on the stepdown mech for the reset on Wayne 866. I used gears from an Erie meter to build a few clocks. Right now I need 1or2 gears from a Wayne 2pm3 meter.

Actually after you gut it, all you have is a CABINET with a computer in it.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#37191 Thu Sep 20 2007 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i agree with dodo,on somethin common,remove em.with the pumps that pogos got i would keep every little peice.anything thats real rare or uncommon.course i save all the guts for some reason,buti haven;t figured out why yet!!someday it will come to me!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#37192 Thu Sep 20 2007 02:56 PM
J
J
I guess I'm crazy for I would keep the everything intact. In fact I only look at pumps that still have their pump and motor.

Why?

Well for me, I have my former service station that still has its two pump islands. The pipes are have been removed and the underground storage tanks are filled and sealed. But the UST removal company that did the site work in 1990 left all the electrical conduits and wiring in place. I have live wire back to the circuit breaker box.

So since I put the pumps outside, bolted to the pump island and hard wired and conduited to the island, like they were when they were in service, I elect to keep the guts. I figure, if someone wants to steal my pumps, they:

A. Have a very heavy item

B. Have to break the conduit connections

C. Clip LIVE wiring.....

For me the guts are an anti-theft device.

Jim
#37193 Thu Sep 20 2007 03:13 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
The great thing about this site is, ask advice, and you will recieve it. I probably go over board in favor of leaving the pump just like it was when it was new. When I finish one it even has to be able to pump fuel, it will probably never be used again, however if the next owner wants to gut it, ok.And I treat visible and electric the same, they gotta be a complete pump. Norm.

Norm Huff
#37194 Thu Sep 20 2007 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most visibles need the pump mech. to hold the handle. Some clockface pumps need the measuring mech. to support the clock mech.

Like you said Personal Preferance.
db

------------------
** NEED A LID ? **
FREE MINOR DENT REMOVAL, CAN DO
W/ 4oz., 1 qt., Imp. qt, 6 5/8" dia.Gallon & 5qt Re-lidding. Solid or slotted bank lids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved