Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
66phillips #452778 Sun Aug 04 2013 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I Agree w/ Butch,
"If you're going to be serious about this hobby, take your vacation the week of Iowa Gas." [Or enough time to attend]
Although I have never been to Columbus. With the exception of 2 years I have been attending IG since 1994 & always drive.
The Holiday Inn parking lot IS too small for this event. Years ago it was split & held at H.I. & the Best Western on Army Post Rd [to the south], then a couple of times in the Airport long term parking lot just across the street [south].

Dick Bennett #452784 Sun Aug 04 2013 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I've said it for years: you have to have a hard and fast date for the start of a show...the promoters have to put their foot down, and stick to the schedule as advertised...I think they got it right at Columbus this year...

...I don't think anyone who drove two days to get there, would be happy if they arrived only to find everyone else was already packing up...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #452808 Sun Aug 04 2013 12:15 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I like the show in the middle of the week. This is my vacation every year. I left Colorado on Friday morning.
I agree with DB. "As I said before, Weddings, Funerals, Graduations & Vacations that YOU WANT to attend, YOU MAKE PLANS."
And Butch. "If you're going to be serious about this hobby, take your vacation the week of Iowa Gas."
Champlinman and I arrived Monday night for the first time this year. Not to get early sales. But because we usually drive in Tuesday afternoon and don't have time to make stops we want to make because we know there will be some early sales.
This year we made some stops to visit some people on the way there. And when we got to Des Moines we stopped at Zombie burger for an awesome meal. If we had come Tuesday we never would have done that because we don't leave the hotel once we get there. Too much going on!
The only thing I'd change is limit the swap to one day. We didn't have much left to sell by Thursday morning. What was left was cheaper cans and signs, things that are a hard sell at a place like Iowa Gas! I was packed up and on the road back to Colorado at noon Thursday. But I'm not a serious seller. I actually hate selling. Just ask Champlinman. The place I was least likely to be found...selling my stuff in spaces 10 and 11.
And I like having the weekend when I get home to unload, shine up, and find places to display my newly purchased items and ease back into the next week.
For me Iowa Gas is more than just a show where they open the gates and you rush in and buy stuff and then leave. It's more like a convention for those who are serious and established in the hobby. It's about meeting and spending time with the people you have got to know in the hobby over the years. And buy some nice stuff while doing it! Just look at that picture of all the oldgas members from this year. That's what I think Iowa Gas is all about. It's more than just a swap meet! Thanks to Ron and John for putting on a great show!

RARIN TO GO #452814 Sun Aug 04 2013 12:45 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R

RARIN TO GO #453114 Mon Aug 05 2013 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: RARIN TO GO
I agree with DB. "As I said before, Weddings, Funerals, Graduations & Vacations that YOU WANT to attend, YOU MAKE PLANS."
And Butch. "If you're going to be serious about this hobby, take your vacation the week of Iowa Gas."

...I guess there's two issues here, that are being confused for some reason...

...some people want the show to be scheduled at a different time of the week...

...some people want the show to happen at the advertised time, and not two days before...

...I can't imagine someone holding a funeral, wedding, graduation, etc., and starting and ending it early because a bunch of people showed up early...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #453123 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't say the show ended early. A lot of people may have packed up early but my brother and I were still set up out in the parking lot at about 5pm on Thursday afternoon. I got one of the best items in my whole collection late Thursday afternoon sitting out in the shade. We sold some stuff that afternoon and I bought a lens I was looking for in one of the rooms also. Yes, I would have been upset if I showed up at 3pm and only a few vendors were open but a lot of vendors travel long distance, have a lot of time and $$ invested and after sitting out in the parking lot for three days were ready to pack up and get ready for the auction. Same points are brought up every year.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes Maxwell #453126 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:47 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I think we need to take a look at the show from a buyer or new comer's perspective here- for all intents and purposes - it was "over" by lunchtime Wednesday. I do agree Wes no one wants to sit in the sun for 3 days. However, WEDNESDAY is the day it was advertised to start! Anyone who showed up Wednesday did not get a true look at the show, and Thursday was very sparse outside according to friends who stayed. If this is what these new comers see, do you really think they will be back? I arrived at noon Tuesday and I was late!! Gulfiend is right, there are two issues here. The days scheduled is a matter of personal preference - some like OkOil and myself prefer end of week/weekend. Some like VMC44 prefer the midweek. That is something that you can't please everyone on - but you all must admit that an end of week or weekend schedule allows more people the possibility of attending since as a general rule most people work M-F. Adhering to the advertised schedule is a different thing altogether and one that Iowa could take a lesson from Columbus on IMO. On that note, exploring new convention facilities with more amenities (restaurant/bar, ample parking, more rooms, etc) would be great and would help the show grow. I will be back regardless, but I think everything has room for improvement. I'm simply trying to put out constructive criticism and offer suggestions for consideration. Thanks

Wes Maxwell #453129 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I got one of the best items in my whole collection late Thursday afternoon sitting out in the shade.
I also bought several great items on Thursday afternoon. Some vendors left, but MANY didn't leave until late Thursday.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
okoil1 #453135 Mon Aug 05 2013 11:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have been a regular attendee, but not a vendor, since 1995. I was there early on the "advertised" opening day and once again was disappointed to hear of all the buying/selling taking place on Tuesday (and even Monday). While there is some activity on Thursday, I think it's kinda over by Wed afternoon. A vendor friend of mine said that he did most of his selling on Tue.

If the folks that make the rules allow the show to open at the vendors' will, it makes no difference what the official opening day might be as it will always start at least a day early. Before long it will back itself up into the previous week and on its way to the first week of July rather than August.

It's still a great show and guess I will go on Tue/Wed next year.

Dave

Dave
nebrgas #453138 Mon Aug 05 2013 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i can't complain about anything to do with this show....I can understand some of these complaints however i talk to people before the show and adjust my plans accordingly....if that means leaving a day early, so be it........I did hear several times that all the spaces were sold out, the hotel was sold out and i thought the crowd was very strong.....we stayed until thursday afternoon also....

roadrelics #453232 Mon Aug 05 2013 06:43 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I think this was my 9th year of going to Iowa Gas and I've been a member of the oldgas forum for about the same amount of time and I think this topic has come up every year. Here is what I will say to those who think they (Iowa Gas) should do things differently...just start your own show if you don't like how this one is run! This was the TWENTY SEVENTH Iowa Gas. 27th!!! I think maybe they are doing something right! Start your own show with all your strict rules about when you can show up, when you can sell, when you can leave, what you can or can't drink in the parking lot or the hotel, when you can invite people into your room to sell them your items and when you can't. And if caught breaking a rule, then what? I can't sell my stuff? You go ahead and do that! I will be at Iowa Gas!!!

RARIN TO GO #453238 Mon Aug 05 2013 07:08 PM
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Being a newb myself, I would of been pretty disapointed if I would of drove the 3 or so hours and most everyone would of been already packed up and home.

But, with that said im not saying "it needs to be this or that way" im just glad I kinda stood back and seen how all this works. My first show was in Columbia, MO and was shocked that most had already packed up and headed out by the time I got there. Before I heard that, I thought there was quite a bit of things there but then I heard that and thought to myself...damn just imagine the stuff that I missed!

Looks like if I want to get serious about a show I need to plan vacation time to see the good stuff

-Brian
blacktee #453258 Mon Aug 05 2013 07:48 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
It all boils down to keeping up with the times. Period.

blacktee #453260 Mon Aug 05 2013 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This has to stop..... For all of you who are ***** and moaning about everyone gone on Wednesday.... you are so wrong. I got there Tuesday evening and picked up a pole and a few other items that were brought there for me. I never went to the swap meet or the hotel. Wednesday morning my wife and I headed over about 9am and the place was packed with people, sellers and lots of great items and the swappers were there throughout the day and if you look at my stuff in the BOTW, I can tell you that I got most of it on Thursday and Friday, So either show up and see for yourself because you have no right complaining about all the good stuff being gone!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #453556 Wed Aug 07 2013 05:11 AM
M
M
I would also like to put a final comment to this thread, Iowa Gas is a must for the serious collector. I am there all week and after 24 years I have never been disappointed and have purchased many great items over the years. One point that has not been mentioned is that Matthews Auctions had an auction the Saturday before Iowa Gas in Wichita, KS and several of the Iowa Gas vendors were in attendance at that auction. They choose to go straight to Iowa rather than return home and drive the extra miles, hence why some of the vendors were setup and selling early.

Iowa Gas has set strict rules in the past and the show took a serious negative hit because of it. Sellers & buyers at Iowa Gas are always eager to get started. There is and always will be something for every level of buyer at the show whether its Wednesday or Thursday.

For those who did not or have never been to Iowa Gas, attend, you will not be disappointed. Take a week of vacation and enjoy this event and stop listening to the whiners & complainers (many of which do not attend the show).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved