Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looking for a few answers on a Wayne visible pump that at this time I want to leave it as found (just power washing/clean up) when I pulled it off a farm about a dozen years ago.

I picked up a Midland globe from Lonnie Hop to complete the look but want to clean it up first.

What is the cast bracket (it's broken) for that's right below the bottom cylinder base?

What would the correct hose nozzle be for this pump?

The Cylinder is broken around the bottom from a BB shot, has anyone taken one apart and got it back together after cleaning it? Or is it possible to reach inside after removing the upper safety glass to clean it good?

What is the best cleaner to use to remove the old gas film?

Thanks for any help guys as I have yet to restore a visible.

Funny thing is after the power washing of the skins I can see it had 2 Standard decals with another unknown square one behind those...if it could only talk!

wayne7.jpg wayne1.jpg wayne4.jpg wayne6.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Crack at bottom of cylinder is caused by water then freezing. BB's will leave a small cone shape, small on outside & 10-20x larger on inside.

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
"What is the cast bracket (it's broken) for that's right below the bottom cylinder base?"

That would be the nozzle hanger:
http://www.gaspumpheaven.com/shop/home.php?cat=269&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=3

Last edited by kwilal; Wed Aug 07 2013 11:45 PM.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I believe the broken piece you show is for the nozzle hanger. It would have had two curved hooks coming out of the areas where yours is broken.

Ryan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Definitely the nozzle hanger that is broken!
You can do a lot of cleaning from the top but the gallon markers will be in the way and frustrate you.
Don't remove the cylinder with thoughts of re installing the same cylinder. Get a replacement cylinder or leave the old one in place. You can fill the cylinder with a combination of hilex and CLR, and it will do a pretty good job of cleaning up the stains! That is---if it will hold water???? Maybe use a long handled brush in combination with the cleaner?
Replacement clear cylinders can be found in the $400 range.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have had good results with automatic dishwashing detergent in removing serious crud. You might try this on a small area before trying to fill it up with a solution to soak.It has also been my experience that once they break all the way around one end...they are prone to do it on the other end if "disturbed"...just a forewarning. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
JGD Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Mike,

Was nice to meet you at the Iowa show.
I'm about to attempt cleaning a cylinder from the top clean-out, it's a tall 10 cylinder though. I'll probably rig up a brush/rag on the end of a long stick or something so that i can reach the bottom. I've had good luck on glass in the past with baking soda and vinegar mixed into a paste. I'll let you know how it goes if I figure out any tricks! Good luck!

Jon
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"What is the best cleaner to use to remove the old gas film?"
Oven cleaner.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks to everyone for the help and tips.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I picked up a visi guage for my Wayne 851 at Iowa Gas, and the film on the 2 small cylinders was so bad you couldn't see the spinners in there!
Last night I poured in some straight Hilex bleach and let it soak in for about an hour before rinsing. I wasn't satisfied, although it did help, so I filled it with a product called CLR (calcium-lime-rust) and let that sit overnight! When I rinsed it this morning, it was nice and shiny clean like it had been scrubbed all week long!
Sure worked in this instance!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved