Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Never one to shy away from a topic...So...
I have been thinking about this new For Sale For Offers Forum and I can't help think...Really? It is amazing how many new categories there are since I joined oldgas. I imagine someone complained about a Coke sign for sale here so now we have Non-petro 4 sale. Even though most of us probably have non-petro stuff in our collections. And I guess it's not enough that it's for sale. Now someone needs to know if it's got a price or not! Really? Well here is a category I think should be added. "Showcase and Stories Accepting Offers".
Somewhere along the line this offended someone. That someone wanted something they had and offered to buy it. Really? If you don't want to sell it tell them "no". I still get offers to buy stuff from oldgas and it doesn't bother me at all. And I have taken note of some of those offers and contacted those members even years later and they bought the item!
So if we need a "for sale without a price" I think we need a "showcase make an offer" forum!
And maybe a "Value Question, Might Be For Sale" category. Because I know some people who ask even though they aren't supposed to. Doesn't bother me but it must bother someone that think they are more important than they are. And I'd bet I have offers to buy something from them! Just sayin'.
chris

Last edited by RARIN TO GO; Thu Aug 22 2013 08:14 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
No matter what you do, you can't make everyone happy.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
I agree and love this forum Jim! Thanks for hosting it! But don't you think it's starting to get a bit silly? A few of the people I talk to think it is kind of getting micro-managed to the point where they don't know where or how to post something. And I agree. And if they post in the wrong place their post gets moved and they can't find it or they get crucified by the "regulars" and don't bother coming back! I love oldgas but it gets harder to comply with all the rules every week!

The vast majority of people have said:

* They want For Sale items to have prices
* They don't like the drama with some people offering to sell items they don't own

So we make some changes to address the issues.

* Most people don't like change
* Most people want rules to apply to others, but not to them

We have made prices mandatory in the For Sale Petroliana forum
We have made ownership a prerequisite for selling
We have kept the possibility of offering for sale without a price in certain special situations

The increase in problems has pushed us into having more rules. Regrettable, but I think most people have noticed that the hobby has changed in recent years.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
And based on the behind the scenes pm's and emails I am getting it seems that many agree with me but won't post that opinion here for some reason! Wonder why?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Silent Majority same as in every day life.
Don't run for office, don't vote for those that do, BUT Bitch about who wins & what they would do if elected!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I like the new forum...judging by how little it's been used, it seems to have either (1) cut back on the number of 'make an offer' posts, or (2) magically given folks the information they need to actually price their stuff...

...and the 'must own the item before they actually sell it' rule: that should be obvious to anyone - but since it apparently isn't, we needed the new rule...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i appreciate the new setup. straight forward and clear.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes I appreciate it as well... I'm a frequent buyer and the new categories make it easier for me to ignore the unpriced items.

M
M
Great changes!

I can not see any reason that anybody but the seller be able to post in the their for sale post.

Is it really necessary to tell somebody 'nice sign'
Or any other comment?

Think about it, how many for sale post get hijacked and before you know it a sign for sale turns into aunt sally's sick dog!

Own something, post a pic, with price
If somebody wants to buy it, they contact you by email,phone, or pm
If somebody has a question, they contact you, if you feel YOU need to update your ad, then do it

Where else do you ever post anything for sale and people get to post all kinds of comments?

Its for sale---if you dont like it or the price then dont contact seller
SIMPLE!!!!

Yes its against the rules to post non-pertinent or derogatory comments, BUT IT HAPPENS ON ALMOST EVERY POST

It would eliminate alot if petty bickering and save mods alot of time

Originally Posted By: rbonitz
the new categories make it easier for me to ignore the unpriced items.

Having separate categories for different things allows buyers to look through gas station items for sale without seeing unrelated stuff that wastes their time.

People who don't like unpriced items don't have to look at the new Unpriced forum.

Collectors who don't like all the "What's this worth?" requests don't have to see those posts mixed in with what they want to see.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would like to say thanks again to Jim for running this site. I myself would probably not have the patients to put up with all the complaining. And I would probably not put out as much effort to try to please everyone.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jim, Most of us appreciate your efforts. This is a great site. End of story.

M
M
Great site

Like new changes

Not complaining, just commenting

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim does a great job with this site I know I couldn't do it either. I will make a comment about all of this some may agree some may not but oh we'll here goes. I think a lot of what is going on is a generation thing. There are some anomalies to this but for the most part from what I see the younger generation wants you to impart all your knowledge for free and then complain when it's not what they wanted to hear. They want you to change for them because they do not want to be inconvienced in the least. I have noticed this more and more everyday where I work and its now hitting this site. I work as a fireman and we are a paramilitary organization and when I was hired I never dreamed of asking my capt to change for me or say I don't want to do that. Now fast forward 13 years and I'm the capt and these new guys want you to change for them and they tell you when they don't feel like doing something. Needless to say I have had to reprogram many new guys into are way of thinking. If they don't like it there are about a hundred guys who want there job. I have said all that to basically say maybe that's what we have to do here. This is the rules if you don't like it start your own website and let your mom coddle you some more before you step into the real world.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved