Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There were differences in the torches throughout the years. The only difference in the torches between the affiliates that I've seen is some of the Pan Am signs from the late 40's or early 50's were white with red details....reversed from the more familiar Standard signs.
The flame pictured on your signs is from after the switch to American from Pan Am, Utoco, Amoco in the early 1960's.
The LDO can pictured on the sign is from around 1962.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
O
O
The 1946 Torch & oval design had a more detailed torch"handle" for Amoco,Standard,Pan-Am,& Utoco
The newer sign was more stylize, leaving the detail out and just using the colors red white and Blue this can be seen in the American signs.
By the way, Amoco didn't use the T&O in the South until much later

Check your tires?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These Standard and Pan Am pump plates are from roughly the same era. Pan Am later changed their flame to match that of the other Standard affiliates.

Like Oldmanridge said...Amoco didn't use the torch and oval logo in the south until later. I'm not sure of the year without looking it up, but sometime around 1956 Pan Am stations were rebranded Amoco.
Thats when these signs went up in the south.

They were replaced by American signs in the early 60's.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
OK, it has been a while .....I have owned
all those but the Amoco, Now I do recall the Pan Am oval was fatter and the torch on the hat looks more like the American.
Anyone have an Idea what Mr.HINU HEAD might be worth????
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
O
O
That's a good name, Mr hindu Head.
I must have been in my early teens when we stopped at a Pan-Am "station" to get gas I spied the credit card sign with the map and exchang companies on it. I asked my dad for $5.00 and ask the man if he would sell it. I don't know where it went but I sure wish i still had it. I was hooked on this gas stuff from then on, mostly maps .

Check your tires?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved