Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe it is me... Maybe I am misunderstanding the question and Ed's answer?

I took Ed's answer to mean that all the Oilzum Oswald "Pie shape" signs to be fantasy.... I took down such signs in the 60s and 70s... And was told, I am wrong, that Oilzum made no such signs....

So I supplied examples of the "Oilzum Oswald Pie shaped" ads...

I supplied a thread that has a "Oilzum Oswald pie shaped sign in the background" behind the display case.

And I pointed out that Bagley and White most definitely DID produce signs with the "pie shape" to advertise their "new logo and products"....

Like I said, we all have our own opinions! And maybe I am not understanding, that happens more and more as I get older....

Last edited by Bob Richards; Wed Oct 23 2013 05:22 PM. Reason: Added my long winded response

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Of course they did, those signs from that era are extremely plentiful. I know Ed was referring only to the sign originally posted

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, what throws me off is the use of the word "fantasy" instead of the sign being a possible "repop"....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a can with the pie wedge logo. The second pic is a repop sign as you stated bob ( pre aged ) the one under it is real. Now that I look at the sign in question and my can yes they are the same new logo.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The originally posted sign has the consistent "double" left jaw line (on your right if you are facing the sign) that the fake sign does not have. The rest of the face on the fake is quite simple and plain. I'd bet that signs #1 and #3 are authentic. The print ads are not large enough to judge other facial features.

That's my .02 with an explanation.

I don't have any ties, alliances, or even disagreements with any one on this site, so I'm just going to proffer another opinion- if this continues to be a place where people are always "jumping on" other people for whatever reason, this site will dry up as people begin to avoid it. I, for one, do NOT want that to happen. I think too many people have put too much work in this endeavor for us to treat it this way. I spend my days in a Middle School-I have a full quotient of drama at the end of each day. I come here to learn and relax and enjoy. Please don't take that away from all those who do the same.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Amen!

Steve
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
It's real. Jaw lines and all that other stuff, it's real.Over the course of time in this hobby and I've been around it since about 84 it has changed tremendously. When I started signs were worth very little then. Matter of fact all petro stuff was cheap, very cheap. Well now, it's changed and we all know why. It is no longer a working man's hobby and many guys that collected dropped out or built up a collection and then sold out, recouping their investment and profiting from the ever rising prices. Then came the fake everything brought on by what.....you answer that. It has never been mentioned that could it be possible that some of these signs that look old and aren't exactly right are not fake,or repops. There has been mention of factory mistakes and they still make it out to the public. Is making signs such an exacting science that the public will go bonkers over one misplaced line? I doubt it. Hell guys even our US mints make mistakes on occassion and what happens then, they are worth more. I'm thinking here that too many questionable signs are being trashed by too few. There was no venom in my post yesterday just fact and like the man said, everyone has an opinion. It is real.

I really don't have the experience to form a serious opinion on this sign. But the "take-away" from controversies like this is that this sign is now tainted. Even collectors more experienced with these don't all agree, so that means I have no business putting my hard earned money down on a sign like this. Mark one more down on my list of signs, real or not, to stay away from.

One more lesson about how unmarked reproduction and fantasy items are hurting this hobby.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
I have five different Oilzum signs in my collection that are dated from 1953 to 1980. Each sign is clearly marked by the maker A-M signs. If the sign is from this almost thirty year period I would think it should have some kind of makers marking on it.

Todd

W
W
Its the real deal folks!!! Have one just like it that was passed on from my grandfather to me. No dates or sign maker and same dimensions. Cant stand this everything is a repop stuff!!! its getting as bad as playboy centerfolds are they real or fake???? Consensus is fake so signs must take after that hahahahah just because

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wipumpman
Its the real deal folks!!! Have one just like it that was passed on from my grandfather to me. No dates or sign maker and same dimensions. Cant stand this everything is a repop stuff!!! its getting as bad as playboy centerfolds are they real or fake???? Consensus is fake so signs must take after that hahahahah just because

HHhhmmmmm? Could we see a picture of your sign?

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
W
W
New to this bbb stuff. will get one up when I figure it out. It says my images are to big

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The sign is a phony. Anyone who gets out and fondles, touches, molests, kisses, hugs and gawks at advertising will tell you its fake. Get out from behind the computer and go out and touch a sign this weekend. Pick it up ask questions, compare and learn. It doesn't happen overnight or even in 5 years. It is easy for the veterans to tell.

See you at maple grove, pa on Saturday or cow town, Nj sunday

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can not tell you for sure what is real or not but by looking at the signs and different adds shown the way the letters are leaning and space between them you should be able to tell real from fake.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
wipumpman,
please keep trying to post picture of your sign,its easy once you figure it out.

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved