Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think so.. cool

RANDY
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Things have been a little slow here in this section that I thought I would have a little fun.

That is a picture taken from a Tokheim sales bulletin.

In 1985 I was buying pumps that were made in 1960 (300s etc), they were 25 years old. This pump was introduced in 1980 it is almost 35 years old. Something to think about.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
What if you had it in a collection of old to new.Its still a Tokheim.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Every time I fill up the tank I look at these and wonder, will someone collect a pump like this? Not me, but I can see it in a history row of pumps.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The transition in pump design from 1960 to 1985 was dramatically different and made the older ones stand out significantly.
The transition in pumps made from 1985 to 2013 is not as much.

Which all means gas pumps of today are due for a new facelift..i.e. electric charging stations.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you have PLENTY of room. Just for historical value-there is no real attraction. We spend very little time at a "gas station" today, so we have formed no relationships with any part of them, and in fact have probably not even noticed enough to recall any specific features of any part of them two minutes after we depart from one. In contrast, many of us spent many hours in or around service stations and service station people growing up, thus our affinity towards them and the various parts and pieces that comprised them. In our fast paced, disposable world, I don't see that repeating itself.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No at least not within the next 50 years.

Braden Splichal

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
A little off the subject but in line with a few of the comments, but as I'm pumping gas I always try to find the manufacturer of the pumps. I'm happy and surprised to see that I only find manufacturers from decades, almost a century ago. No Chinese or other foreign manufacurers popping up along the way, but IDK who actually owns these companies now.

Last edited by bppierce; Sun Nov 17 2013 02:05 PM.
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
As far as I know, Gilbarco, Wayne and Bennett are stilling making pumps. I believe Bennett's market is mostly Europe. When you can find a ID tag it is usually Gilbarco.

Joe or somebody can probably help out with this information.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No on the one pictured at the beginning of the thread , at present, but things change.

I bought this pump a few years ago because it was in good shape, I liked it, it was cheap, and it reminds me of ET. I bought one of these pumps fifteen or so years ago at an auction for 15 bucks. It ended up on someone else's truck by mistake. Rather then unload it I told the guy to just give me the 15 bucks. I did not really care. Too new for me at the time.

I can remember waving down a junk man and giving him a Gasboy I had paid 15 bucks for, just to get the piece of junk out of my storage. I have bought a dozen since them to make a few bucks on. I still have no interest in keeping one. That might change someday ?

113.JPG
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I have a few notes on this topic.
-The pump in the first picture is a tokhiem 333 series. These were made in the early 80s. I would not want it in my collection because I hate working on them. They are junk and are very hard to work on. A few are still in service, but it's still over 30 years old and obsolete for a modern station.
-The Gilbarco is an old Highline, with high voltage display. It's mid 80s, and is obsolete because it won't interface with the new Passport register systems. It was replaced by the Legacy series. They look the same but are totally different electronically.
What I'm getting at is that this "modern" equipment is already a dinosaur. Those pumps are useless at a modern station. This is the reality for a modern station. As soon as it's on the island, it's out of date. Us techs are constantly racing to update the electronics in pumps to keep up with credit card companies requirements.
I thought about what the future will hold for gas pump collecting, and I think that in the future there will be VERY FEW of these pumps around because once they are taken off the island, there is no more use for them. Years ago, an old pump retired from a service station was still a useful machine for farm service, trucking companies, industrial use, or any other low volume use. Keep in mind that modern "pumps" don't pump. The actual pumping unit is in the tank, and the thing that fills cars is a "dispenser". What use is a dispenser to anyone without the complicated pumping unit and all the other support equipment to make it work? This is why almost all modern equipment goes straight to the scrap yard after the island. It has no use after commercial service.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good point Mike! Most of the pumps that I find, have been repurposed at some time for another use, so they were in effect "saved". Of course, there are the "hoarders" that never discard anything , and that may save a few of them, but I tend to think you're probably right. They have to actually "be there", to be found in the future! LOL

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Gilbarco and Wayne are the big 2. Like Ford and GM. Gilbarco had a stranglehold on the industry from about 1990 to 2005. Wayne came out with the Ovation series which seriously undercut Gilbarco's price, and Wayne is taking over.

Tokhiem went out of business in 2003. There is still a lot of their equipment in the field, but in the last few years there has been a race to get it off the islands because parts and service for tokheim is getting to be few and far in between.

Bennett almost went out of business in the 80s or 90s. They are back with the new Pacifica dispensers. The Pacifica is a Wayne Ovation knock-off. All of it's parts are made in China, and it's assembled in Muskegon, MI. Bennett can't give these things away. No one wants them for a number of reasons. They use a third party's card reader, and they don't interface with most cash registers' operating systems just to name a few reasons.

J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
First of all, I posted this because I wanted to see what the reaction would be. Since there is some consideration of me writing a third edition of the Gas Pump book I wanted to get a feel of how far I should go in years. The first two books cut off at about 1965, I was just trying to get a feel of what you might like in the book.

Mike618b:

Your comments do not make sense. None of us are restoring pumps with the idea we are going to make them work. Just because they are pieces of junk doesn't mean someone in the future isn't going to restore one of them, they will care less. Also you state that "modern pumps" do not pump gas. When did "modern" begin? Are you aware that the first remote pumps were introduced around 1917? Also that just about every Mae West is a remote pump, era 1917. The Tokheim 199/200 (1920) was a remote pump. In the 1950s just about every pump company was selling remote pumps.

Your comments are a good history of the pump business after 1980, but have nothing to do with the original theme of this post.

Jack Sim

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved