Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great point Dave.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On that note, we have two large rooms filled with country store items. Signs, tins, seed counters, sales counters,you name it, some great stuff. Probably 90 percent of it was bought towards the late 90s-when it was quite popular and before this gas stuff really caught fire. We would justify some purchases as "Money in the bank" Most of that has softened. I would say most of the items that we paid retail for at the time would not bring what was spent on it. I still really enjoy the stuff so we'll just see if it comes back some after this Petro craze evens off some.
Also,another area that seems tough to buy @ auctions is the Farm feed and equipment advertising. Even though I'm talking out of my rear end here, all I can say is there must be pretty good money in farming.lol

Last edited by JimT; Fri Nov 29 2013 05:16 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have found that for the most part there is always another. If you don't like the price , be patient another will come at the price you like.

I like auctions, one day they can't give the stuff away, another it goes for crazy money. If you are patient you are at the auction on the day that they can't give it away.

It helps to be diverse in what you buy. I was at an auction one night and watched a fake Mobil pump plate go for a grand. The next item that came up was a Tiger Crane sign. I was the only bidder and took it home for a song. I thought these bidders must still be in shock. Too much entertainment watching the fake pump plate sell that they missed the real deal.

I have found there are always deals out there. You just have to find them. At shows you might see five of the same item. All priced different. The items that are priced right get sold. The over priced items you see again next year and the year after and after.

Always wanted a light tower for a fire box. There was a guy from NY that came to the Hershey car show every year that had one. For about ten years I saw this light pole, made a reasonable offer on it many times. I am sure he still has his museum piece. For a third more then he was asking I bought a whole pole, pole box and light tower. I bought it at an antique show for a quarter the price of the only other one at the show.

All it takes is patients and taking the time to get out there and look.

S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
All the points above are well said. Pricing has become "Whatever the person will pay for it," in many cases. I sell a lot and try to set fair prices. Many collectors, especially ones outside our hobby, just want some part of it and will pay dearly for that piece. They don't want to collect everything, just a few pieces and either price doesn't matter or they haven't taken the time to educate themselves. When I see a collector spend $800 on a piece of beat up junk and another $200 will get them a really good piece that just baffles me. But those type of people seem endless. Scott B.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's all a *****-shoot. And we'll keep on rollin' 'em.
I can't believe One cannot use the word *****

Last edited by Watchdog7; Sat Nov 30 2013 12:29 AM. Reason: Creative spelling not allowed

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
I know Dave. What the hell!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Just remember auctions are the oldest method of marketing, all the price guides on anything and everything are based on average prices paid at auctions.
I do agree, prices do many times seem to be pretty crazy. I thought Carlisle and Hershey prices were really out there this year.
But, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Prices have skyrocketed, and it is a sellers market instead of a buyers market. That means either you wait until the piece you want drops to your price or you step up and get it now rather than in a year or two. There is a finite amount to collect of the best of the best, which leaves the rest of the so-so on the market to absorb the money floating around. Much like the advise you hear about the stock market... if you're in for the long haul you'll do better than the fly-by-nite buyer.

The smart money is to stay informed on the changing market, so that rough Texaco you paid $200 for can be turned into $600 you can put toward a better piece. Even as a picker, I have a fairness philosophy that doesn't allow me to ask $1000 for a sign I don't rightly feel is worth more than $400-500. There are plenty of unscrupulous pickers who will happily dupe the newbies into buying a dog-ear SSP Gulf for $1000, I just can't do it. I don't believe it's worth my reputation with my buyers.

On the subject of auctions, don't go if you can't set and stick to a maximum for even your most desired pieces. Unless it's a "mona lisa" class item you're doing your future auction buying prospects a disservice.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Guys i went to a auction today here in nebraska and they had over 100 seed signs and a few gas signs. They all went around 4-7 times more then what you can buy them on ebay for. Oil cans, normal ones i would pay 2-5 dollars for were all going over 20 dollars a quart can
Who ever turned the switch on please turn it off

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Its called Auction Fever with Weekend warriors.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's not a switch it floodgates and they're wide open. Somebody shut em.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Has anyone else noticed that most complainers in this thread are flippers/peddlers of the stuff we collect?
ROTFLMAO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Rsljr1
Its called Auction Fever with Weekend warriors.
. Well said . Lot of them even in the rural areas .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Has anyone else noticed that most complainers in this thread are flippers/peddlers of the stuff we collect?
ROTFLMAO
. Db , I promise to complain more , if you sell me that pretty shell trio for a pickers price? Lol You could ship Monday? I like it ,I like it a lot!

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I am not a flipper, but still complain. Stuff comes and goes DB.

Craig
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved