Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#44509 Tue Nov 18 2008 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF a can lid was removed by a can opener [like on your kitchen counter], it leaves marks on the side of can & most were removed this way for another use.

Tin can sealing machines have been around since the rolled seam can lids. New machines are sold with a re-flange die so that cans could be re-used. All through most were sold for home canning, lots were packed into remote fishing & hunting camps [can you imagine packing in/out with glass jars in wooden crates !].

Unless you broke the sealed case of oil cans, you can't be positive that ANY can was filled & sealed @ the refinery.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#44510 Tue Nov 18 2008 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Forgot to mention one other suspicious thing about the Lion Head can I mentioned before... the bottom lid had two holes punched in to make it look like it was emptied of oil. Someone before mentioned each can has a story, if they could only talk... interested to know if someone tried to rip someone off by doing this or if it was done as a personal preference looks-wise...

For the record, I personally have no problem with a relidded can(s). As long as I can see the side can graphics as it sits on the shelf... I'm good. My can collection is small as I only collect Gilmore stuff. I prefer buying ones with GILMORE embossed on the lid with nice graphics but they can get pricey. Plus, when you live in Chicagoland and don't go to many shows- you take what you can get.

[This message has been edited by GILMORE (edited 11-18-2008).]

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
#44511 Tue Nov 18 2008 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB, plan on sending this one to you sometime to get new lids. Should be one of the easiest ones you've ever done...

#44512 Tue Nov 18 2008 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It won't qualify for the easiest but will be done with the same care as a rare high dollar cans.

------------------
** NEED A LID ? **
FREE MINOR DENT REMOVAL, I re-lid
4oz.[2 1/8"dia.], 1 qt., Imp. qt, 6 5/8" dia.Gallon & 5qt Re-lidding. I have 1qt S.A.E. 20, S.A.E. 40W, Plain or bank lids. No S.A.E.'s on 1gal. & 5qt.

#44513 Tue Nov 18 2008 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't collect cans but do want to share a thought. I think relidding a can is like buying a globe with a repop capco body. The value is in the lenses... not the body. The capco body is $15 and an original is $35-$50 and really a nice set of lenses will bring pretty much the same money in either one.

I don't see relidding a can will keep some one from buying it.

The 15 or so cans I have are empty because dropping a full can and an empty is a big difference on damage! Remember keeping full cans in your house is a NO,NO! Insurance company might not pay your claim if you have a fire! You can only keep a gallon or two in your house. Wouldn't take many quarts to make that.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#44514 Tue Nov 18 2008 05:59 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Hey Guys and Gals I have been reading this thread and was going to chime in with what Jarvis pointed out regarding having full quarts in your house or garage. A house fire is bad enough without fueling it with oil and grease. I empty and clean all my cans before I bring them into the house. Also cans that are full will start to leak over time, and that can be a different problem.I think it is fair to say that most collectors would rather have a dead mint empty can than a #8 full can. A can that has never been filled for what ever reason will display just as well as one that had oil in it. Maybe I have missed the boat and this is just my opinon, but I think a full can is no more valuable then an empty in the same condition. I hope I didn't offen anyone with my two cents.

Craig

Craig
#44515 Tue Nov 18 2008 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You guys both make good points but.... in the case of collecting Gilmore Oil cans and globes, I have to disagree with both points.

Now you have to admit, Gilmore is an exception to the case. Collecting Gilmore is a little different than other companies as it hasn't been around for long time. It is highly collected. All items are pretty much considered rare items.

Gilmore used custom embossed lids on their cans...

You could say they have character to them, not generic looking.

If three Lion Head cans were for sale, all in same condition; one full, one empty w/orig. lids, one empty w/new lids. IMO, the full can would draw the most interest and $$$, followed by the empty w/orig. lids.

If both empty cans were the same price, wouldn't you choose the one with embossed lids?

Globe lenses are a little hard to compare as I don't think an original Gilmore lens ever met a CAPCO body. From what I have read and heard, Gilmore only used 15" lenses. Did CAPCO ever make bodies for the 15"ers? I don't know for sure, I believe not.

I think the reason old CAPCO bodies aren't valued that much is because they are still easily found.

As rare as original Gilmore lenses are and for the amount they go for... couldn't imagine what marked Gilmore metal bodies would go for.

There will never be a definate answer here as its hard to compare items company to company, era to era, style to style. They are all collectibles and are worthy of being collected. I just thought I would share my thoughts on the matter.

I have only heard good things about DB and his work. Wasn't trying to devalue his work or relidded cans.

#44516 Tue Nov 18 2008 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craig,
I agree. To me, an empty can and a full can (same can, same condition) are worth the same amount of money. Actually, I'd buy the empty one so I don't have to deal with draining it!
Tara

#44517 Tue Nov 18 2008 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow... didn't know the Gilmore cans had there own lids. That makes it unique! How many other cans do that?

#44518 Tue Nov 18 2008 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When cans are shelved and displayed, unless you or someone else picks them up, how would you know if they are filled or empty, had orig. lids or new lids? I guess an upside down can would say it was full.

I buy cans to display them in my collection. Like I said before, I prefer original lids but am not bothered by relidded ones.

These cans aren't original but I'd still enjoy them and be proud to display them...

#44519 Tue Nov 18 2008 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jarvis, not sure how I should read that comment.

If you are being facetious, I am sorry I offended you. Wasn't my intention.

#44520 Tue Nov 18 2008 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quite a few companies have their name embossed on the top & some also did the bottom. Not all GILMORE tops or bottoms are embossed w/ their name.
db

#44521 Tue Nov 18 2008 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gilmore... i am not a can guy and never knew that some had there own lids.

I collect globes and gas pump salt peppers... that's enough! I don't need to add cans to my list. LOL

#44522 Tue Nov 18 2008 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good to here Jarvis. I don't post much and I would hate to offend anyone when I do.

DB, which ones aren't embossed? All the ones I have seen/owned have been. The earliest can I've ever owned is one with Purest Pennsylvania on the can. Am I correct that it was out before the Purest Premium cans? Never seen in person the original style as shown in the article I posted before.

Also, what is the story behind the small head logo? I heard it was an error and most weren't used.

#44523 Tue Nov 18 2008 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Embossed but no name.

TIDEWATER had name embossed bottom & HyVis had name on top.

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 11-18-2008).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved