Click here for Project Car auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't be silly Paul, no chip here, is that what you think when someone corrects you? You were wrong, happens to all of us, don't let ego get in the way of common sense. I've been in the HCCA for 30 years and collecting for 40 plus, I have some knowledge about this stuff. There may be some nominal value, never said there wasn't. Ads are great for some collectors, I have some too. My point was that these are not anything mysterious and certainly have nothing to do with an agreement between car companies for a uniform size for display, think about it, there have been over 5000 different American car companies, all fiercely competitive, again use common sense to figure it out. You should buy them and frame them, sounds like you know the market and that's a good thing.

Last edited by Neil Gerrard; Thu Dec 26 2013 08:00 PM.
R
reinat Offline OP
OP Offline
R
i will look them up

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Neil... I suggest you re-read the posts

You state "...The premise supposed by the OP that these were somehow distributed and placed in a frame is far fetched to say the least. Multiple car companies working together to get someone to put a tiny ad in their window? I don't think so. I guess it's been long enough since the 60's and 70's that people think the repo stuff from then is real. Someone mentioned Clymer, he was reproducing stuff since the 40's. They may be something special to someone but I doubt it and "picker's postulation" (patent pending) doesn't change that"

First, OP(original post) made no mention of use but was asking about them!

Second, no where was it stated car companies were working together. Rather I was speaking of an Ad company creating a unified size for advertising purposes.

Third, like so many things what one person finds special someone else may not but you take the opportunity to decry the nature of a pickers role in finding something of value in an item.

I love the term "nominal" you use, it is meaningless.

I also like your phrase "these are not anything mysterious and certainly have nothing to do with an agreement between car companies for a uniform size for display"

Apparently the OP had questions about these, so to he and his friend they can be mysterious.

And as already said, you seem to jump the gun to think a statement was made there was some agreement among car companies for standardization when no such statement was made. Merely the insight that these are on cardstock/board and not simply cut-n-paste magazine ads, which lends them to being put in a frame where they could be changed out at interval. By the way, that technique has been employed by many businesses for most of the 20th century in varying media.

Since I already have some framed I don't have the need at the moment for more and yes I'm very happy to know the market... thanks.

I hope reinat's friend frames them up and enjoys them.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Someone wholeheatedly agrees with himself.

I agree with Neil.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My mistake Paul, I give you full credit for that idea. It was an ad company that came up with the idea for framed ads, lets go back and see how that might have worked.

Johnny had an idea, interchangeable framed ads, he forms Johnny's Framed Advertising and makes an appointment with Mr Schlotsky, advertising manager for the ABC Auto Company.

Johnny: Good morning Mr Schlotsky, thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you with selling your fine cars

Schlotsky: Ok Johnny my boy, dazzle me!

Johnny: All I need from you is a 10 by 14 ad mounted on stiff paper, I will supply the frame.

Schlotsky Sounds fine Johnny, how much will it cost and where will my ad be displayed?

Johnny: A mere $20 to $50. We will distribute dealer ad packets to put in windows/on counters and they could be put in a standardized frame that allowed ads to be switched out

Schlotsky: So my ad could be switched out at any time?

Johnny: Yes isn't it brilliant!!??

Schlotsky thought long and hard about this, Johnny knew he'd become the king of switchable framed advertising, Schlotsky finally drew a breath and replied.

Schlotsky: Johnny my boy, you're an *****, get out of my office and don't come back. Why would anyone pay you to float their ad?? Ridiculous!

Johnny left crestfallen with moisture threatening to drip down
his cheek, if only he had been a vampire and lived until 2013 he could see his theory proved out, thousands of framed advertisements listed for sale on internet auction sites with a staggering 2 to 3% in sales. Empires were built, fortunes amassed all born from a humble idea.
The end

Nominal: A very small amount.
That is according to Webster, I bow to their superior knowledge

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Schlotsky; So Johnny, what keeps MY adv in the frame when Mr. Ford wants his adv in the window frame?

Johnny; Well sir, if you pay the higher rate I'll make sure your adv is on permanent display. OH, by the way here is all the other adv's I was paid to display that you can do w/ as you please
[Mr Schlotsky filed them in his attic to be found 80+yrs later].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nailed it!
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Schlotsky; So Johnny, what keeps MY adv in the frame when Mr. Ford wants his adv in the window frame?

Johnny; Well sir, if you pay the higher rate I'll make sure your adv is on permanent display. OH, by the way here is all the other adv's I was paid to display that you can do w/ as you please
[Mr Schlotsky filed them in his attic to be found 80+yrs later].

R
reinat Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Any ways , Mr Dick im sorry someone was mean to you growning , up .. let it go , lifes good ..... I have a lot more stuff to post , we got old car manuls oops , all kinds of odds and ends , cleaning out a storge ill post them as soon as I can k

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved