Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
scar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Im trying to decide what theme to do my American and my Rush visible pumps in. I wanted a Polly Gas, but i found out that they were on the west coast. I'd like to do them in
the companies that would have been in the
western KY area back in the mid 20's.
Does anyone know?

I found a Fry Mae West 117!
Now I need orig. parts!
Base doors, cyl. rods, skin & base bolts,
reg. fingers, conduit pipe, light arms & shades, & more
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Scar:

If you look in the back of the 'Globe Books', you can see all the write-ups for the various gas companies. If the author's knew, they listed the cities the companies were located in. That would give you information on the brands that were available in your local area.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com
Always buying Ethyl Globes, Ethyl Single Lenses & Misc Ethyl Items.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scar, KYSO was stanard oil of Ky based in Ky and Stoll that was based in KY. Now are you wanting a company based in Ky or ones that were used in Ky because you had many other that were used in Ky.

Ever get to Evansville, In e-mail first as i am just a few minutes from Evansville.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
S
scar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Im looking for companies that would have had a pump at a station in the western KY area. They don't have to be based from here, just sold gas here. I know that there was a shell station, and a gulf station here, because i have seen pictures and i have the pumps from the pictures. I've just started collecting pumps, so i don't yet have any collector guides,globe guides, etc.

I found a Fry Mae West 117!
Now I need orig. parts!
Base doors, cyl. rods, skin & base bolts,
reg. fingers, conduit pipe, light arms & shades, & more
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scar, E-mail me at petronut@aol.com. Your only 30min or so from me. I have the globe books... you can look at them if you like. They are great books full og info.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Scar -

The first one which comes to (my) mind is Indian Refining Company. I've got some pictures of Indian stations in Louisville, if you'd like me to e-mail them.

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Scar:

If you like the thought of doing an 'Indian Refining' pump - check out the lens we have on our web site under 'Lens Images'.

This art was created directly from the only known globe in existence. The original was found in an old Texaco station in Illinois.

With any luck - we will have this lens available by the end of the year. It will be a limited edition run of only 30 sets done in 16.5" - just like the original.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
T-way -

The logo which you're showing was created by the second "Indian Refining Company". The name (along with the Lawrenceville, Illinois refinery) was sold by Texaco Refining and Marketing to a subsidiary of a Pennsylvania company in 1988. It was in operation until 1995, when it went bankrupt. (Why one of these lenses was even created and why it would have wound up in a TEXACO station I have no idea, as the second "Indian" was never involved in "downstream" and such lenses would never have actually been used.) This logo (and the second "Indian") had nothing to do with the real INDIAN REFINING COMPANY, Incorporated (control of which The Texas Company acquired in 1931 and which was liquidated in 1943). The first globe used by the "old Indian" was the running Indian with "INDIAN" arched above and "GASOLINE" arched below. The second (and more widely known) is the white globe with the red ball in the center, "INDIAN" arched above and "GAS" arched below.

Scar -

Let me know if you'd like for me to e-mail you pictures.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

[This message has been edited by indianrefining1931 (edited 06-30-2006).]

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Jim:

Thanks for the information. If you have any further info on this globe image - I'd sure appreciate it. I was (obviously) missinformed by the person that loaned me the lens and I'd like to have all the correct info.

Do you have any other visual info that shows 'my' image in usage elsewhere?

Thanks again for setting the record straight.

Later . . .

Jim

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
T-way -

The first place I ever saw the logo used was on a sticker which was sent to me by a friend who worked at Lawrenceville during the days of the "second Indian". I also saw it on a belt buckle one time on eBay. As I said, I can't figure out why they would have put it on a globe lens unless it was just as a novelty item of some sort. The only thing they (the second Indian) produced was gasoline, fuel oil and kerosine, and it was all sold on the open market or to Mobil. They had no marketing of their own.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Jim:

Here are a set of the Indian Refining lenses in the Bonenburger's Collection. These collections are shown in the current (July) PCM.

I still don't know if they are real or repro - but I think it's a kewl logo non-the-less.

Photo courtesy of Ron Bettin

Later . . .

Jim

I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
T-way -

I guess they are "original", but only in the sense that there was nothing for them to have been reproductions OF. As I said, though, I have no idea why they were ever made (unless as a novelty) since the "second" Indian Refining Company was never involved in any retail marketing.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved