Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#519636 Mon Mar 10 2014 06:30 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have been noticing over the past couple years that some people have been posting "retail" price comments. Everyone has their own way of buying/selling/bartering and the book price that is usually outdated shortly after it's published only shows value. It does not show a wholesale/retail value and to me it's a gimmick some here are promoting.Until someone can convice me I'm wrong there are no wholesale/retail values on our collectible petro items. You may find someone not aware of their petro item and shoot them that line but don't try it on here. We are pretty aware of our values and that is the price we set, not the supposedly retail price.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Terry Flannery #519639 Mon Mar 10 2014 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i only speak for myself... but I recently used the term retail when posting a wanted ad for a globe. My intent in using it was to simply imply that I would give a fair price price for it (probably somewhere inline with the top price listed in Scotts guide).

So if you had the globe I wanted (in good condition) and its listed at a value of 350-550... I might give $550-$650.

But I do agree with you, that there is no retail price. The three methods to determine the supposed 'retail' value would be ebay, auctions, & shows - all 3 vary drastically IMO.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #519645 Mon Mar 10 2014 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You forgot one. Wholesale/Retail/Picker prices.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
BryceG #519648 Mon Mar 10 2014 06:50 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
IMO most auction prices are retail as an auction house/ebay is a retail business/market....If you can buy an item for 1/4 of the "going rate" I consider that to be.

A. A smokin deal
B. a wholesale price.

Paying full current market prices for items is paying retail..buying smart and paying way less then the current market value is wholesale.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #519658 Mon Mar 10 2014 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With a Live auction you Don't have 5 minutes to make a dissension or a bid retraction, you bid you bought it.
Most of ebay is a OLD FISH MARKET, selling to [UN-Educated] Suckers.
Few items posted in For Sale by Want-to-be Fool Time flippers rarely sell after a week for 3/4 of listed prices.

Dick Bennett #519684 Mon Mar 10 2014 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anyone who has ever bought anything is familiar with and has paid retail price. A retail price is simply a price paid to a retailer by a consumer. It is determined by the purchaser and the retailer.

In order for a retailer to make a profit on an item, there is a mark-up on the item being sold. Wholesale price is the price that the retailer purchased the item for originally.

In my opinion, retail price has nothing to do with value. I feel people are mistaken when they consider retail and value to mean the same.

Someone may pay a retailer $10.00 for an item. When in fact, the item may be worth less or more then $10.00.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #519701 Mon Mar 10 2014 08:38 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
For me retail is what a brick and mortar operation would price an item for browsers of their store, that includes a commensurate mark-up from purchase to cover business expenses and profit.

Auction price is not retail, whether in person or via online sales (ebay,proxibid,etc). The realized price is an inflated value including auction fees and auction frenzy or lack of frenzy.

Wholesale price is a value based on sellers acquisition price plus an amount determined by the knowledge of both Auction & Retail prices the individual is familiar with.

A good example is a recent question about an 5ft ESSO sign in the value section.

A Retail price might be $800-1200 depending on where the retail operation is setup at.

An Auction price might be $400-1500 depending on auction house and whether there is serious bidder competition.

A Wholesale price might be $450-$650 depending on where the sign is being offered and what the seller originally paid for it with a small mark-up based on their knowledge of the Retail/Auction values.

Last edited by carolinaskies; Mon Mar 10 2014 08:39 PM.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
carolinaskies #519731 Mon Mar 10 2014 11:12 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you are a "Gas Pump Heaven" and you sell $3000 worth of stuff per day you have a retail and a wholesale price. If you have one item for sale, you have a retail price.

Dave stated above that a wholesale price is what a retailer pays for a item, if it was the seller wouldn't last long in any business. A wholesale price is what a retailer can sell a quantity of items for and still make a profit.

There are no prices in a hobby, what we pay is what two people can agree on.

I recently sold two cigarette machines for less than I had in them. I had looked at them for over 10 years and they were just taking up room, regardless of price they had to go, but that same week I sold a few other items and at the end of the week I had made a profit. Having made a profit I could now buy something I wanted.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #519740 Tue Mar 11 2014 02:59 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Lots of different takes on what wholesale and retail mean, so here is my 2 cents worth -

Retail - The price charged by the seller to the ultimate consumer for goods and services

Discounted retail - A lesser price charged by the seller for volume sales. Typically smaller margin.

Wholesale - The price paid by the seller to purchase from a distributor or manufacturer.

Things get a little more convoluted when applied to the old collectibles market as there is no distributor or manufacturer or a constant stream of goods to purchase. In this case the definitions change somewhat.

Retail - remains the same

Discounted retail - Very similar to the above definition, but may be a group of items that are "bundled" together.

Wholesale - The price we would all like to pay, something below the "retail" value of the item allowing the buyer to mark it up if sold to the end user or collector. Or just a bargain !!

IMO anyway.

57CameoGuy #519935 Tue Mar 11 2014 06:44 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Mr. Simm said it right,There are no prices in a hobby, it's what two people agree on. Since the overwhelming majority of us operated this way in days gone bye it's still good for me. I understand all the rest, repro parts etc, pickers that have entered into the what used to be a hobby only here. There has always been since my first day in the hobby just a price. Period. This late coming wholesale/retail talk is way to commercial.

Terry Flannery #519938 Tue Mar 11 2014 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I overheard 2 separate conversations @ Iowa Gas once that made me chuckle..
Two guys agreeing,it's not what a person paid for it,but what he can get.
Later that day I overheard,"It's not what someone can get,but what they have in it".

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #519997 Wed Mar 12 2014 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Terry, I think what is meant by retail/wholesale is just approx. high and low values in the price range of a particular item. Kind of like if you could maybe buy item for X (wholesale)its a good deal or you should be able to sell it for/or the current value is, about Y. (Retail). Or if you are buying it for Y, (To keep for yourself) this price (Y) would be about right. Thats all-just verbage (Or garbage?)high/low values to get a point across in print. Not trying to derail here but the Wholesale,Retail concept is far less frustrating to me than trying to accept the individuals who are in our hobby for the conquest or ego trip of just getting into as many peoples pocket as possible and could really care less about the hobby. If they could flip petrified donkey ***** they'd flip petrified donkey *****.

JimT #520011 Wed Mar 12 2014 06:55 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
You guys nailed it and JimT broke the hammer handle doing it. I guess the hobby has come to the point where money and total excess rules. Maybe I'll turn into a greedy, lying, throw it into a box and send it anyway "collector", seems to be normal now.
Maple syrup season is about to start here in northern WI. Snow has to drop 2 feet before I can get to the trees first. Will start washing up equipment to be ready when the weather gets better, hope to be really busy the next month or so. Later guys.

Terry Flannery #520029 Wed Mar 12 2014 08:27 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I let my buyers determine the "retail" value based on what the item sells for or what offer is accepted. I never claim to know "retial" or "wholesale" values.

No matter what anyone says, all of this stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It is when a items sells that true value can be determined AS A BASIS ONLY. I have seen many times the same sign sell for $1200 one week and $650 the next.

You guys think too hard! Buy it if you like it and are comfortable with what you are paying, no matter what purpose you have for it once in your posession.

Terry Flannery #520034 Wed Mar 12 2014 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...a notorious flipper - who's known mainly for asking ridiculous prices for his stuff - graced Mason-Dixon with his presence this past week...he sauntered up to our table, and started fiddling with a 1910's cigar sign that a buddy of mine had for sale...he asked how much it was, and my friend told him (truthfully) '$100 - that's what I have in it'...after being told that, the flipper countered with an offer of $75...

...now, this sign had a great look to it - it wasn't mint, but I think it was easily worth $150...

...anyway, when my friend told him, 'c'mon - I told you what I had in it, the sign's worth what I'm asking,' etc., the flipper replied, 'but at $100 I can't make $25 off of it'...

...I grabbed the flipper's shoulder, and told him as calmly as I could, 'that's not HIS problem' and took a walk around the show to cool off...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved