Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#538040 Mon May 26 2014 10:15 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Basically I just bought a huge gulf dealer sign and ring. One problem though a 2 foot section of the ring is twisted. Is there a way to fix this? Also if I can put it back in order what do I use to attach the sign to the ring? Thanks for any help or ideas

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Take it to your local body shop , a good metal man can fix no problem.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a way to fix ANYTHING made of metal, but the question becomes how much time will it take and how much will it cost? Since you are asking these questions, it is obvious that you don't have the expertise to do it yourself, or you wouldn't have to ask.
Since you have provided no pictures, it is impossible to determine the type and the shape of the ring you have,---- and there are many---and that makes it impossible for anyone to even speculate as to how the sign might attach to the ring?
My best advice is to seek out an accomplished metal worker/welder that can possibly help you out once he has viewed the problem areas! Good Luck!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, post a few pic's and we'll try our best to help. If it's a steel ring you should be able to do it, especially if you have access to a hydraulic press. Aluminum is a little more difficult to work with.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We are asked to repair gates all the time, I just got back a few minutes ago from looking at one. In my opinion you can take the Rambler out and drive over it or hook it up to the tree and pull onit in one direction while mother is working the comalong in a side direction or just plain beat on it all day with a sledge hammer. But once the metal is stretched you will play heck getten it back to where you want it. In a lot of cases we have found your better off just cutting out the bad spot and making a new one and welding it in. You can also hide a lot with some good grinding and maybe a little build up in some low spots with the welder.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
This might sound crazy but taking it one step further than a body shop, find a shop that specializes in front end alignments. I had a Bowser pump that had been hit at the top of the pump and the frame needed straightened. Them boys tied chains to the top of her and the other guy had a torch on the frame, soon enough she was standing straight again! Just a thought smile

Good Luck,

Goober

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just gave this post 5 stars! Whoopie. How dumn is that feature

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I only see 3, BUT Whoopie.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
JoshuaTrent
I found a local machine shop that had an old roll bending machine.Owner kept it all these years covered in the back corner of his shop.When he bought the biz,he didn't think he'd ever need it,but held onto it anyway for sentimental reasons..Dated from the early 1900's.Amazing old machine the rolls & bends @ the same time.
I stumbled across him and he made me some 6" aluminum retaining rings for some spots I had.
If this is similar to what you have,and you think he can help you,contact me for his info today.

Here's what he did.. http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?u...true#Post502727

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: JoshuaTrent
Basically I just bought a huge gulf dealer sign and ring. One problem though a 2 foot section of the ring is twisted. Is there a way to fix this? Also if I can put it back in order what do I use to attach the sign to the ring? Thanks for any help or ideas

where are you located? if you are near nashville, i'll be glad to look at it & help you with it.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved