Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48494 Mon Aug 05 2002 10:50 AM
G
gasguy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
How about posting your opinion on how you liked or disliked Iowa Gas this year. What were some of the highlights and were prices high or low?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#48495 Mon Aug 05 2002 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thought the meet was WAY down in size. Traffic on Thursday morning was very slow. Sales were good for me but substantially less than last year. I noticed lots of empty spaces. The guy next to me had mostly bikes a couple of lawn mowers and a small assortment of oil cans and a Conoco light base... He was not a preregistered vendor. Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
#48496 Mon Aug 05 2002 06:09 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I felt the numbers were NOT there either this year. I am not sure just why. Stock market jitters? People losing jobs? Or perhaps the market is saturated. After all, there are just so many folks with the petroliana interest and when you throw in the prices this stuff brings they have to think to themselves 'Enough is enough.'I have a good friend that is happy with just a few repro items and he says he is finished. I only prefer original stuff, but if you want that Polly Gas globe and you are not Bill Gates you'd better be happy with reproduction.....

#48497 Mon Aug 05 2002 06:19 PM
B
B
My First show as a vendor so it's hard for me to comment on traffic count, HOT HOT HOT on thurs. Super day on Fri. I sold a lot of stuff but had good deals. Could have made more $$$$$ but purchasers walked away happy. Talked to a ton of Great People. I had a blast. Looking forward to next year. Only comments on improving show.... Maybe locate outside vending off the BLACKTOP ? I know that may sound strange but tough to sit all day on that pressure cooker. Have the Vendor hours from Noon - 8 PM to allow locals to attend after their work
day. ???

#48498 Mon Aug 05 2002 07:57 PM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I have attended 11 Iowa Gas shows and have vended at 6 and would agree that there was fewer vendors this year. Traffic also appeared to be down a bit also. With that said I sold as good or better than in all the previous years. But as we all know sales
depend significantly on the merchandise you have to offer. Quality items will always sell. I was also able to add several pieces to my collection. I did not stay for the auctions so I can't offer any perspective on how they went. I believe that internet sales
have hurt shows in general but there will always be a place for the chance to feel the merchandise and do that face to face bargaining.

Bill Fortune
#48499 Wed Aug 07 2002 05:34 AM
R
R
I have been at the swap meets ever since that have come to Des Moines. Yes, I have also been a vendor and last year took the cake. You had to pay either $5 or $10 to get into the south lot. I know I talked to a lot of vendors and they weren't happy about having customers cough up the extra money to get in. I heard a lot of them say they wouldn't be back for next years (2002) meet. Also heard a lot of customers complaining about the extra admintence fee. Said they wouldn't come back. I'm glad to see this year that they waived the fee! Hopefully on that note, the vendors and customers will be back next year, if they again waive the fee!

#48500 Sun Aug 11 2002 08:26 PM
Online Cool
Here's a link to some pictures I took at Iowa Gas 2002 .

I found several nice things for my collection and talked with a bunch of you guys. I had a good time and saw some great stuff.
I seriously doubt that they will reinstate the buyer admission fee. Go to the Iowa Gas Web site and send John and Ron a message with your suggestions on how things could be improved.

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#48501 Sun Aug 11 2002 09:24 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
My complaint is that the meet is located in Iowa, a 3600 mile round trip from my home!
Thanks Oldgas for the images to let me know what I'm missing.
Anyone that can find fault with Iowa Gas is just spoiled. Try being out here on the west coast where there's next to nothing.

#48502 Mon Aug 12 2002 11:18 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
jim photos look great. by you posting them it should help the show for next year. still the place to go to find nice stuff. hope they keep the cost down for the vendors & public next year like they did this year.nice show.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved