Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#541302 Tue Jun 10 2014 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...I am posting to announce my intention to publish some new collector's guides - my goal is to have at LEAST one available in time for Christmas...the working titles are as follows:

The Collector's Guide to Gulf Oil Corporation Memorabilia
The Collector's Guide to Pure Oil Company Memorabilia
The Collector's Guide to American Oil Company Memorabilia
The Collector's Guide to Sun Oil Company Memorabilia

...these will NOT be price/value guides, to prevent them becoming 'dated' shortly after publication...my goal is to make these books as comprehensive as possible, to show all the little variations of what's 'out there', and hopefully give collectors a context for their collections...more accurate dating of the items, timelines to demonstrate the evolution of product design, logos, etc., and vintage photos that show the collectibles as they were used/displayed in their heyday, will also be priorities...

...the project is rather fluid at this point - as stated earlier, I'm not planning on these being price guides, nor eBooks...that said, I might break the books about the larger companies down into smaller, separate volumes; for example, for Gulf there might be one dealing with signs/globes, one dealing with cans/pumps, and one dealing with paper memorabilia...it will depend on how much material I can compile, and how extensive the project becomes...while I think a 300-page book on Gulf Oil memorabilia would be wonderful, I'm sure there are many who are less interested in Gulf ink blotters than they are cans, and vice-versa...

...it's been 15 years since Charlie Whitworth compiled his two volumes on Gulf, and the other companies have not had much, if anything, written about them...if these four books are well-received (and I don't burn myself out!) I hope to continue the series...

...I have already approached some of the more advanced 'brand collectors' for permission to include their collections in these books, and happily the response has been very encouraging...needless to say, I will require that assistance in order to make the books as definitive a source of information as possible, and those who provide information and/or access will receive credit...I wanted to make this announcement prior to Check the Oil's Annual International Petroliana Collectors’ Show in Columbus, OH, as it will provide a rare opportunity to meet and discuss my project with those whose input will help make this daunting project a success...I thank you for your time...

Sincerely,

Mark (gulfiend!)

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gulfiend! #541308 Tue Jun 10 2014 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds exciting and fun and should keep you quite busy Mark.

The only one I may be of a little help with is Pure as I have a bunch of original Pure Station photos when the stations first opened in my collection if you need me to look for something or need to use. Also quite a few signs and other Pure station stuff if you need.

Good luck and I look forward to buying, reading and learning more of this addiction of ours!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
gulfiend! #541309 Tue Jun 10 2014 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like books on the hobby, just bought Dans second one at the show in New York last weekend. I myself would like a book on Sunoco/ Sun Oil items first. I have heard it is hard to publish a book without prices/ set up as a price guide because that is what the publishers think will sell? I would also like to see another one on Sinclair. The one by Benjamin and Henderson has a Lot of good stuff in it but there is also stuff missing from it. I would buy an updated Sinclair book but would others buy enough to make it worthwhile? I probably have about 30 books on the hobby, I see it as a part of the hobby itself with all the info they contain.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Mike M. #541310 Tue Jun 10 2014 09:35 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
when they come out i will definitely buy one of each. i just bought dans new book the other day.

Always Available 973-932-2980

Joe - Iron Vise LLC
sales@ironvise.com
ironvise #541313 Tue Jun 10 2014 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking forward to the release of the books.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #541323 Tue Jun 10 2014 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good luck on your endeavor, I wish you much success!

Ohio Oil #541327 Tue Jun 10 2014 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good luck... seems like large task! first thing I would do would be to call up the other writers such as Dan, Jack, Scott, Wayne, etc and find out the little tips that will prevent you from stress during the process.

hope it goes well for you

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Wes Maxwell #541331 Tue Jun 10 2014 10:41 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I myself would like a book on Sunoco/ Sun Oil items first.

I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the project Mark. Sounds like quite an undertaking!!

BTW, if there is some known Sunoco collector that is considered the king of the brand to the veterans around here, I would appreciate anyone sending me his contact info. I would love to learn from him all that I can!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
BryceG #541355 Tue Jun 10 2014 11:48 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: BryceG
good luck... seems like large task! first thing I would do would be to call up the other writers such as Dan, Jack, Scott, Wayne, etc and find out the little tips that will prevent you from stress during the process.

Mark should know what it takes to publish a book since he done one already: http://www.gaspumps.info/servicestations2.shtml

This sounds like a great idea, having a comprehensive list with photos of what is known to exist would be a big help in locating that next key piece to ones collection. Best of luck Mark and looking forward to getting an item or two of mine in those Amoco and Sunoco books

mark_elmore.jpg

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
CircaDesigns #541356 Tue Jun 10 2014 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Damn, it never dawned on me that you are the Author of that Book, Mark. I have it in my Library and it is a great little history...

If,you ever decide to do an Associated/Tide Water/Tide Water Associated/Tidewater/Getty Flying A Book... I will help all I can!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #541357 Tue Jun 10 2014 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i retract my statements... didnt know you wrote that Mark... it should be smooth sailing for you then!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #541380 Tue Jun 10 2014 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why do I not have marks first book yet??
Where do I get one??
I want number two also.
Good luck mark

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
gulfiend! #541684 Wed Jun 11 2014 03:37 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Looking forward to these, they will be a great resource.

Lenny

theChandlers #541769 Wed Jun 11 2014 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cant wait!

Braden Splichal

bsplichal95 #542477 Sun Jun 15 2014 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...thanks for the support!

Originally Posted By: Mike M.
The only one I may be of a little help with is Pure as I have a bunch of original Pure Station photos when the stations first opened in my collection if you need me to look for something or need to use. Also quite a few signs and other Pure station stuff if you need.

...thanks, Mike - I will be in touch...

Originally Posted By: Steve C.
if there is some known Sunoco collector that is considered the king of the brand to the veterans around here, I would appreciate anyone sending me his contact info. I would love to learn from him all that I can!!!

...Steve, thanks for sending that link...I hope to enlist several 'kings' for my project, so you'll have that info in one place...

Originally Posted By: CircaDesigns
looking forward to getting an item or two of mine in those Amoco and Sunoco books

...oh, I have a feeling it'll be more than one or two, dude... wink

Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
If,you ever decide to do an Associated/Tide Water/Tide Water Associated/Tidewater/Getty Flying A Book... I will help all I can!

...thanks, Bob - it could happen...I think that would make for a great read...

Originally Posted By: hotrodfun1
Why do I not have marks first book yet??
Where do I get one??
I want number two also.
Good luck mark

...thanks, Scott...there's no Vol. 2 (yet) but you (or anyone else who wants one) can get a copy of Vol. 1 directly from me, for $25 shipped - just shoot me a PM...I'll have some at Columbus as well!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved