Next Thread
Print Thread
#49741 Thu Oct 09 2008 11:30 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Hello old gassers. With the country finances in turmoil, how will it affect the hobby? Two weeks ago I sold a Wayne 60 that I promised myself I would never let go. With my "fixed" income going south, I succumbed to selling the 60, as a buyer shelled out a stack of greenbacks to me. Is anyone out there buying stuff up or selling at bargain prices? Sam

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couple observations - Just spend time at Carlisle and Hurshey- there were more vendors who wanted to sell- not just make money on what they recently bought- Some brought items out of their collections - many vendors are retired like me- all felt a little poorer each day as there pensions took hit after hit- Most feel as in the past it will come back- Traffic seemed a little light in both meets- Buyers were grabbing what they thought to be bargains-
I think the Hobby is alive and well- some collectors might realize that they cant collect everything and will sell off some of their other items- I for one bought more than ever at both meets- Some for myself- some on speculation- bidding on ebay has been a little light- finding some Bargains- comments welcome- either direct to me or posted-Thanks Don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[This message has been edited by 5 quart (edited 10-09-2008).]

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Online Content
Ebays prices are definatley "lighter" then they have been in the past.

Sales off my website were down this summer, but the last few months have been really strong as far as parts sales. Pumps seem to be moving along well too.

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was installing a Clear Vision pump in an auto museum about two weeks ago, and the owner and I started talking about the economy and politics. He did not like my democrat signs in my yard because he is a hardcore rePUBlican and brought this subject up on me…

I was talking about not having the money I used to have to purchase things like I did four and five years ago, and how my vending business has tanked in the last two years, my ebay business is gone because of higher cost, and now I am being forced into bankruptcy later on this month (no kidding). I explained to him that it was all linked to the cost of GAS (at least my failed wallet has been).

He, being a millionaire baulked at my comment about the economy being bad. He is still attending auctions buying up cars, gas pumps, signs, etc. and he says the prices and bidders are still there and people are shelling out money like never before.

I let this conversation end at that comment. My wife and I both know what is going on. He is rich. He has no money problems until all of his stocks crash. Because he is rich he can wait until the markets recover to pull and use his money. His house is probably paid off, along with his cars and other property. People like him will never see a bad economy, just better deals.

I too have looked at selling off everything, but the prices are down. I am just glad I sold off my Fry collection earlier this year at 1,900 a pump un-restored. Today I think I would be hard pressed to get anywhere near that much.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
My 2 cents: high quality items will always command high prices. They may level for a while as the buyer pool may experience a reduction.

Mid range to low end is and will continue to take a hit. The majority of average to advanced collectors buy low to mid range items (300-3000). These are the people who have lost 40%+ of their retirement investments and need those investments to retire comfortably. Couple that with ineviteable advances in inflation and inability to borrow money the result will be that discretionary spending will certainly tighten a great deal.

There should be opportunities in a distressed market from baby boomer collectors nearing retirement who sell to supplement their 401k losses.

My immediate philosophy is cash is king and be patient (buying and selling). Wait for potential opportunities. After the "bottom" the low end (Dino's, Apco's, rough signs, etc) may never revive in the sense that there may be a greatly reduced buyer/market for lesser value items.

[This message has been edited by okoil1 (edited 10-09-2008).]

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
ebay stuff is very light i just picked up some toy wreckers a stepside pickup a freedom can an freedom jar all of it for 200.00 bucks the two wreckers themself should of brought that prices on ebay have dropped alot im shocked

Sarcasm Is Just One More Free Service I Offer !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have never seen the "bottom fall out" of petro stuff. I have sold cheap before due to lack of cash.
I have sold stuff for Need of cash, but I can't recall ever selling stuff for less than I paid for it.

We need to keep more US dollars in the US, instead of sending it to folks that want us dead, or have missles pointed at us.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hopefully it will mean that I can finally afford some companion pumps for my one working pump. While there are none around here, probably there are some within driving distance not gutted and ready to restore. I have yet to have access to the wide range of pumps that other collectors have in more traditional areas.

Antique? It's new to me.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe hit it dead on!

Yea, this is a bit off topic.

But think, think, think!

If you buy ANYTHING, ask yourself does the money stay in the U.S.? Built here? So what!
We are in the most serious times of our lives.
It is not too late to BE AMERICAN, BUY AMERICAN!

If, what you want to buy is from a foreign company avoid it, even if its built here the money doesn't stay here. THINK!

We are in deep trouble here folks.

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
If you need the money to live on or pay important expenses... I don't think some people are in touch with the economic reality facing others who are in this hobby. I can't justify buying some petro items I would like to buy right now. I have a couple of partially retored pumps that are on the block. Cash in my hand is more important to me than having the pumps at this time. I will keep some pieces. Dave Folck

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
All I know is that if someone offers me a good deal on one or more blend-o-matic pumps I would grab them!

Antique? It's new to me.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
You cannot beat the old adage, "buy low, sell high"

I wouldn't sell right now unless I absolutely had to and it's probably a good time to buy if you have the cash.

For the most part we're just holding tight, cutting unneccary spending where we can. However, if a nice piece that I've wanted came up at a good price I would probably pull the trigger.

These things are cyclical, it will bounce back. I'm just glad I'm not retiring in the next 5 years.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
travis i agree with you 100% let him walk in your shoes for a wile ..

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
One way to see what items are bringing is the results of the SEABASH meet this weekend in Seattle, WA. This is limited to the PNW typically, but it may give a gauge as to how tight money is. For you guys who go to the meet, how about an update on the traffic and prices tomorrow evening. May shed some light on this area of the country...tks Warren

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Boy, did I blow it,,,,SEABASH is gone...I was refering to the meet in Monroe, WA. ,,,Another brain F---..Warren

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved