Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Aluminum versions are Mexican made repops...

Originals are only concrete and cast iron. Both original versions are HEAVY

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Cast iron versions have the stair stepped base with 3 holes

Concrete versions have a less elaborate, flat base that the eagle sits on

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Ever see an original aluminum Case Eagle? I think, that answers the question at hand.

No, Only repro'd Case Eagles in Alum, but recently they are also repo'd in Cast Iron with pretty good detail.

I have only seen concrete white eagles here in MN that I can remember, and ony about 5 in my short time collecting...I would be hesitant about any statues in alumimun without overwhelming history.

Kim

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are 2 cast iron reproductions on eBay right now.
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=111407881455

J
J
I'm the guy who bought the Portland Show eagle. The dealer sold it to me as a repro. The originals were cast iron. I think the guy who said they were made in Mexico is correct. I would guess circa 1970s. I bought it to resell and it is currently up for sale on eBay. Thanks for the info. You can always contact me on eBay and/or I'll keep checking back here to see if any new information develops. Thanks, John

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360987362686?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You bought it as Repop, BUT now your Trying to sell as Original!
That ain't gonna FLY HERE.

J
J
No deception here. Originals are cast iron. It is what it is.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I read your e-Bay listing and in my opinion it is very misleading and deceptive.

You bought it as a repop and confirm that it is repop but are trying to sling a BS story in your eBay listing that it is an original. Then you come here and post a link to your listing. Trying to rip someone off to the tune of $3200.00 isn't going to sit well here with the majority of the membership.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
J
J
I didn't come to this site to sell it. I wanted to make sure that the dealer I bought it from was not slandered and to learn more about it. The dealer had paperwork explaining the 1st castings were cast iron and that this was a later, but still old, casting. This is NOT a "repop". A repop would be cast iron. The Kansas newspaper article is there for all to read (and, apparently, for you to ignore!) and it certainly implies that the white eagle gas station historian bought his aluminum eagle believing it was from his local white eagle station (closed in 1930). ~ My guess is it's the price that is so upsetting? Would you still be whining if it was priced at $50.00? No. Not to be rude (like you!) but all I can say it "get over it! Buyers (grownups!) will do their own online research and make their offers accordingly. I'm the guy selling it and I get to decide what price I will let it go for (or keep it casaue its so cool!)1920s or 1970s, I bought it because it is a spectacular piece of art and am selling it as such.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You've got that repop sitting pretty close to the edge. Would hate for something to...

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I read the newspaper article you mentioned, one sentence written by a reporter that probably knows nothing offers no proof at all. It's second hand information. You pick the one tiny thread that says it MAY be original and hang on like it's rope. You're a profiteer looking for a rube, sad thing is you'll probably find one. I'm sure you'll laugh all the way to the bank.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those would be cool done in sidewalk crack filler(acrylic)and fine sand. They would be durable and detailed and could be made cheaply. Making a solid iron piece that weighs 70+ lbs is not cheap. I worked in a foundry for 14 years and we made a column nut once that weighed about 50-60 lbs. I had to put each one on a drill press and drill holes through the gate so the risers could be broken off with a sledge hammer without damaging the casting. What fun... lol Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
J
J
So it is the price that's upsetting you.

The originals were cast iron and the eBay listing clearly states that(more than once!) The point of this thread was to find out the history of this aluminum casting and it sounds like nobody knows. The mexican connection goes along what my hunch that the age is 1970s and I think that's currently the most likely scenario. That puts it at about 1/2century old and quite scarce. Consistant with the age it shows and the very few of these that ever show up on the market.

Last edited by jfaycook; Tue Jul 15 2014 04:01 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NO, it's the Deceptive Description of your ebay auction.

Original Cast Iron & FANTASY Alum ones are Hollow Cast, only Concrete ones were Solid.
A SOLID CAST IRON would weigh 250-300+#

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Jul 15 2014 07:52 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So I assume that they used a shell core. More expense, but less iron. How thick are they... 1/4"-1/2" ?
I was offered a pair of these back in the 80's for 600. I turned it down. lol Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved