Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I don't know if anyone has posted this here before but a friend I golf with sent me this as, ("and I laughed as I read that he thought some Reality shows were very real") he was broken hearted that someone would fake making a living driving around the country picking!!!
AMERICAN PICKERS IS FAKE

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...awesome!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
F
F
What actually goes on when they are filming/not filming is not any of my concern... but I know for a fact (just like many of you know) that they have been buying stuff for years.. Part of it is hard to deal with such as everyone randomly being a "picker" now but in a different aspect it has drawn a lot of interest to the antique sector. Prices have went up and things have gotten harder to find, unfortunately... but in the past 3-4 years I have met more people and made more friends than ever thanks to that show and new people getting involved in the hobby... I can buy a sign, I can buy an oil can... its kinda hard to buy good friends! Be bitter if you want but just deal with it... its not going to change now

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Next you'll tell me there is no Santa Claus...

Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: FosterChild
What actually goes on when they are filming/not filming is not any of my concern... but I know for a fact (just like many of you know) that they have been buying stuff for years.. Part of it is hard to deal with such as everyone randomly being a "picker" now but in a different aspect it has drawn a lot of interest to the antique sector. Prices have went up and things have gotten harder to find, unfortunately... but in the past 3-4 years I have met more people and made more friends than ever thanks to that show and new people getting involved in the hobby... I can buy a sign, I can buy an oil can... its kinda hard to buy good friends! Be bitter if you want but just deal with it... its not going to change now

Alex I think you missed the point of the article or my post. No one ever said the show had hurt our hobby or that they don't actually buy something..... The Show is FAKE!

Thanks
Mike

M
M
what reality show isn't fake and scripted? It may be dialogued and scripted but they really do buy the items from people and resell at their shop. I have been there before and bought stuff from the show. Bottom line its a great educational show to watch. I wish they had more shows on like it. It's a great "show" for the hobby and its made all of your signs and oil can double in the last 10 years.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: moochinkebay
I have been there before and bought stuff from the show.

@ prices quoted on show what item is worth?
Keep Flying Superman!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think we all knew Pickers was fake, but it's just reality TV to laugh at. I LOL'd at the part about keeping Danni D behind the desk!

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
What? No Santa Claus?!.... Next youll tell me the Easter Bunny's not real. Whats the world coming to?

Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Again this post was not about the show being good or not for the hobby.
I thought it was funny that people still think 2 People Can Drive around in a very expensive van and make a decent living buying and selling this stuff with all the overhead costs that they don't talk about.
It wasn't about whether or not you're a fan of the show or you bought their T-shirts or coffee cups when you visited their stores I don't care and it's not what this thread was about,
it was funny to me that someone thought it was real

But it sure seems to hit the nerve of you picker wannabes!
Please just take a moment and enjoy the humor of the thread and stop being so defensive

Thanks
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
next thing you're gonna tell me is that someone else paid me for my tooth under my pillow!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
First Santa, then the Easter Bunny, tooth fairy, and now Mike & Frank?!? My whole life has been a lie.......

Oh well on with life!

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bottom line its a great educational show to watch.

No disrespect, but that's a bit of a stretch...

its made all of your signs and oil can double in the last 10 years.

Same as the housing market bubble...its gonna pop sometime. I don't care if the stuff in my collection is worth 10x more or absolutely worthless. Its a piece of history and it makes me happy. smile

Back to the topic: best advice in there (for wannabe pickers) was "don't quit your day job."

Last edited by Redfishangler; Wed Aug 20 2014 10:25 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: RFA
best advice in there (for wannabe pickers) was "don't quit your day job."

Trouble is most have & now they are asking 3-4X what items are worth [look in the For Sale Forum here & ebay, btt or re-listed till it sells].
[IMO, w/o a price reduction, items shouldn't be able to be Bumped.]

Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Their just trying to put more "meat on the bone" LOL

Thanks
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved