Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well Jeff now you have not read and understood what Bryce said and missed my whole point. Yes you may ask questions so that you learn but please don't question the answer before you take a moment and figure out what he trying to tell you. Think about what he said so he doesn't have to say it again. The problem is everyone want's to know how to tell what's real and what isn't ASAP and that's not possible. I've been at this most of my life and I'm still asking and learning.....The best thing you can have in this hobby is the patience to listen and learn.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There have been several of these signs around here with the important information missing. I just saw another one on Wed.
at an auction. I thought it was a repro and stayed clear of it.
It sold for $350. I am glad to know my gut feeling was right.

Last edited by Recycle68; Thu Sep 04 2014 02:56 PM.

Gas Pumps, Farmall tractors and 1968 Chevrolet Impalas
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
The way you know that sign is reproduction is to go out and see the real thing. If you have been in it for a while, its easy to see. If you haven't you have to do a little more research. Buy some books and compare. Get some of the repo catalogues and see that they offer this sign for less than 30.00 shipped. Most of the time, the size will give it away immediately. Other times its harder. Ask more questions and be informed. I believe that same sign has been discussed here before.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Maybe scalptrader bought it Wednesday at Shipshewana,he has been there before.. just a thought

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is the fact this guys goes by the name scalptrader seem ironic. I mean, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. It's that good.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
My question is Where is scalptrader now, have not heard thank you for the information or anything on this.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jbrooks
For one its a little too coincidental where the damage is along the bottom...just happens to be missing the important markings plus the size is a give away.

I see these "signs" listed, but never follow the auctions. Just looked at completed auctions and found several of them. All are advertised as original, none advertised as new. All have damage in the corner. Even the top dog "NICEST ORIGINAL ON HERE NOW OR EVER"...

$1,580.00

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Amazing how they can have damage all around the grommets, but the grommets look untouched!! C'mon...........

......John
fanfan75601@yahoo.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Whoever the damage "artist" was on scalptrader's sign, didn't like feet... if the intent was to convey this was once used for target practice. To make an accurate fake, you need shots to either the head, chest or balls.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Last Online | Display Name | Status Total Posts Location Occupation
scalptrader (Member #12370)
User
Registered On: Sun Jan 30 2011 01:23 PM
69 Chicago

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here is a similar one on ebay "conveniently chipped" LOL

Aged Hood REPO

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Tons of fake stuff in completed sales.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow $405 and $1580 for a $32 repop. E-bayer DOWNATTHEBUILDING should be in jail for fraud.

I am by no means an expert (nor do I claim to be), but for new guys, you can find clues sometimes. Like those before me said, do your homework, sometimes it's very easy to locate the same repop for sale on other websites (even check google images, and click on the image to see if it is a brand new sign from a repop dealer).

Also if they are on e-bay, look at all the other items the person has for sale. Do they have a lot? Do others items look fake? Guy has 10 signs for sale and the date is chipped off every one of them!!!

E-bayer DOWNATTHEBUILDING conveniently has close ups of nearly every part of the sign, except the most important corner (lower right). I also like how he puts it on an old rusty rig to try to validate it's age.

Also when you locate a couple of the same signs, like Bryce and Tom did above. Compare them. E-bayer MAYLA0624 and MTUMEY are both from Chattanooga, TN. They also both joined ebay one month apart in 2011. Same person???? Bought a bunch of Hood signs and selling beat up repops as originals under two different names????? I could be wrong, as their other items for sale are a little different from each other, but I would put a little money on it.

I'm not saying any one of these individual clues means it's fake but sometimes when you ad them up, it helps.

Again I could be wrong, but I am pessimistic. I think 75% of things on e-bay are fake... LOL. And as a joke, that my be the pipe lying on the floor in the background, used by MTUMEY to beat up his sign. LOL

Again, I'm not an expert, but if this helps somebody from getting ripped off, then that's a good thing.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never looked at these to closely, these are hidious!...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-4-FT-HOOD-...=item4ac59a3f75

From the infamous lacie51... http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-STYLE-18-HOO...=item25937444bc

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Speedracer
Wow $405 and $1580 for a $32 repop.

$530... also has the bottom right corner conveniently chipped away.

This is what the "real" fake sign bottom reads...

hood.jpg

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved