Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
57Chev Offline OP
OP Offline
Was watching the Andy Griffith show this weekend on TVLand (it was the episode where Opie and another kid were playing a trick on Goober with walkie talkies, they had him thinking he had a talking dog). Anyway, there were numerous scenes in front of the station and he had 2 pumps that just said "Premium Gasoline" on the front. I was just wondering if anyone else knows what kind of pumps they were? It's funny, whenever I watch an old TV show anymore, if there is any type of scene to do with a gas station, I always looke to see what pumps/air meters/displays, etc. they have. I've always looked for old Chevy's/hotrods, etc., now my my wife thinks I am even more weird that I care what gas pumps I can find. Oh Well!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
You're not weird, I do the same thing. When I saw Pearl Harbour and there was two awesome sunray Tokheim 36's I was floored. Those were awesome!

Sorry I have not seen the Andy griffith show you are referring to...

Scott

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I saw that episode of Andy Griffith a couple days ago too. I think they are Wayne 90's. That was one of the later color episodes, and in the earlier black and white ones Goober's station had M&S/Wayne 80's.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I believe they were Martin-Schwartz/Wayne 80's. I saw it not too long ago and was watching for the pumps. I also saw an old "Outer Limits" episode the other day. Eddie Albert was in it and they drove past an old store in the desert with two visible pumps in front of it. I couldn't ID the pumps, but I always watch old shows hoping an old gas station will show up.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The movie "The grapes of wrath" has some great gas pump scenes. I find myself watching the movie just to see the gas stations.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey 57, did you ever finish your pump you were doing?? I think you wanted to do it in Signal yellow to match your car???

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
You HAVE to see "The Great Guy" with James Cagney, 1936. He is a weights-and-measures official that can't be bribed. About 20 minutes or so into the movie there is one of the neatest filling station scenes ever, and if you like antique Fords you'll go nuts over his '33 five window coupe he runs around in!!!! This movie is out on DVD for about 8 bucks or so...a must-see!!!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jim has "corrupted" me so bad that even I look for gas pumps in movies and such! We were watching the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" the other night on pay-per-view and they had two beautiful pumps on the corner of the stage behind the comedians. Throughout the show, they managed camera angles that gave some pretty good closeups. It was kinda neat.

Jodi

L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Why dont you guys ask doc for some movies he has furnished stuff for ? Did you notice the pearl harbor pumps weren't done on the backside ?
Larry

[This message has been edited by PremoPetrol (edited 08-05-2003).]

larry ivy
57Chev Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey DB:

No, I havent' restored my Wayne 100 yet to match my Prowler Yellow 57 Chev. It has been so hot, I hate thinking about sitting out on the driveway and working on it. Maybe once the weather cools off a little in the next month or so I will get started on it. My wife keeps saying she's going to go out to the garage and paint black checkers all over my 57 and then we can use it as a Taxi Cab to try and get some of the "ungodly" amounts of money back that I have thrown at it. Hey, you've got to pay to play, right?

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
The old movies are great,always on the lookout for signs ,globes and stuff.Often they get the time frame mixed up a 1963 Gulf sign in a 1950 movie or a Texaco sign at a station w/Sinclair globes on the pumps.Love this hobby.

E
EJC Offline
E
Don't miss the 3 Stooges comedy: "Violent is the Word for Curly"(1936)(available on DVD and VHS) The first 5 minutes or so is shot at a Mobil station with some great shots including a clockface pump in operation.

Was running a DVD of the Bob Hope movie "Big Broadcast of 1938" the other night and there is a gas station sequence with W.C. Fields with about 6 pumps--look like Wayne 70s.

[This message has been edited by EJC (edited 08-07-2003).]

How about the classic Twilight Zone where the guy decides to take the "scenic" route and ends up in a town where he's not to welcome. His car gets wrecked by an invisible rock and his sheep dog gets thrown out the car and killed, only later to be revived by the mysterious towns folk (aliens), all the while he is forced to stay in the town so he won't tell the rest of the world. There are some great gas station scenes with a few visible pumps in the background.

C
C
Credon, as I was sconning the thread I was just thinking of the same episode. There's a couple of Twilight Zones with street scenes and stations in the background.

Yeah, I'm guilty of watching for cars & pumps. I wouldn't watch Turner Classic Movie channel if it weren't for the obsession.

I'm trying to think of a movie I saw just recently that starts at a Tydol station in the 40's. Then there's "Con Air" with gas pumps at the abandoned fueling station that get blown up all Hollywood style as the plane flys away, dragging a Corvette through the air.

Someone posted a few years back that "Atlanic City" is an oldie that shows some (not sure but I think they said) Tokheim 850's just pinging away as the main character grabs some full service.

Say, I'm sure y'all have caught the pumps on Dukes of Hazzard in from of the Boar's Nest. They changed a couple of times. Not sure, but I think they had some Tokheim 39's and some Wayne 80s in the mix. All complete with "Hazzard Gas" pump plates. What else?

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
There was a tall tok. 39 and a gilbarco at an enco station in Easyrider.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved