Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well they haven't noticed that this guy has posted a sign that isn't even for sale just to call out someone who is selling fakes. I'm pretty sure that would be breaking some rule.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Bbburke #571050 Sat Sep 27 2014 10:00 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Imagine the legal issue for eBay if they did this.
How can they determine with 100% certainty every, or ANY sign that comes in question, not to mention the cost in doing so?
I would be ticked if I owned an expensive original sign that eBay publically deemed a reproduction? My $18,000 sign is now tainted and worth about $200.
It's easy for us to pick out the repops/fantasy pieces, but would we be that quick if we had to pay $20,000-$30,000 in legal fees if we couldn't convince a judge that didn't know the first thing about Texaco marine signs or a T53 it's a reproduction? Things are MUCH different in court than on a message board.

Granted, there's no doubt it would eliminate quite a bit of the reproductions on their site, but it would also make them much too vulnerable. Basically they would be putting their necks on the line just to lose their precious revenue. IMO, I think they are already overstepping their boundaries with their much too bias "buyers protection". They're good ideas that have way too many flaws.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm likely the guy the OP is referring to as I do have connections to eBay fraud dept. I posted a thread awhile back following my attempt to shut down one of the eBay fraud sellers. I was able to get him investigated, they found shill bidding through multiple accounts, and they shut him down...... temporarily. He was back up and running in no time.

This will probably end up in me taking some heat, but I'll say it anyway. I need to be clear that any reference to oldgas.com isn't specifically targeting the mods, it's the general community here. That said, here are the things I've learned in the process:

1- eBay will not apply resources to chase these issues down. It simply doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. They are WAY to big to police the issue of "fraudulent items". They have literally millions of items they would have to police. Won't happen, not now, not ever. (not to mention they still make money when these items are listed and sold.)

2- The collector community complains, but when it comes down to it they accept it. Folks will complain all over the place, but that's about the length of what they are willing to do. Nobody takes their business elsewhere. In fact, I'm beginning to think the complaints are more an opportunity to let the world know that you have the knowledge to find a fake rather than fixing the problem.

3- IF you want to fix the problem, you need to take action somehow. I did this in several ways and was very surprised to find how many collectors (on this site specifically) criticized me for my efforts. I think folks just want something to complain about. I, for one, have taken my business elsewhere. I've gone through lots of effort to avoid supporting eBay due to this problem.

My efforts to actually DO something about this problem were not very welcomed on this site. After all, this site gets paid from eBay, so why would they want people to move to an alternative?

Bottom line: It's about the $$ all the way around. eBay won't change things because it will cost them $$. The collecting community won't quit using eBay because they THINK they get top $$ when they sell. This site will likely continue to support eBay because they get paid by eBay. It's about the $$.

Reminds me of a story my grandpa would tell us: an old farmer would sit on his porch and his dog would lay next to him. His dog was always howling. One day a guy stopped and asked what the problem is with the dog. The farmer said "He's laying on a nail and it's poking him in the belly." They guy asked why the dog doesn't just get up and move over a couple inches? The farmer replied "it doesn't hurt bad enough yet."

If (or when) eBay hurts bad enough you will stop the complaints and go somewhere else. I did.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL.... Your Site has less than 20 Petro items... And you are comparing it to Ebay; with their hundreds of thousands of Petro items..... Talk about being delirious!

As to the matter of repops and fantasy... I notice that you have such items on your Site... And one has to read deep into the description to finally read that the item is fake...

So much for being different than Ebay!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Talk about being delusional....comparing grains of sand to mountains.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sun Sep 28 2014 09:10 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Would either of you two care to tell me where I ever MENTIONED my website?

Both of you have proved my point.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Bob, you are way off on every point your trying to make. Anyone can check that for themselves. My question is this: why are you (and always have been) the first to jump down my throat? What ever happened that got you so angry with me? I don't think I've posted anything on OG that you haven't responded negatively towards. What's the deal?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You alluded to your Site, in your text...When you complained about the criticism you received on Oldgas to the changes you were attempting....

All I did was actually go to your Site and compare your Site, to ebay....

Since you talked about the changes you were making and how we shouldn't spend our money with ebay.... Most rational Members would "run with your own analogy"; And compare your Site with ebay... That is what you have been writing about and expressing that the Membership should look your Site over and dump ebay for your Site...

So, I did what you suggested. I compared your Site and its less than 20 Petro items; to the hundreds of thousands of Petro items on ebay....

I will stick with ebay... Others may have a different conclusion, to their comparison?....

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Fair enough bob. So you don't "assume" I'm trying to talk members into leaving anything and going to another site, I will leave that topic alone. How about an answer to my other question?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He doesn't owe you any answers. Drop it, it's getting old!

I have never seen you contribute to a thread that provides any knowledge or assistance on gas pump history, restoration or the collecting of signs? You are another one those users of this site. You came to this site with an agenda and that was to promote your site. Others pay for their advertising, for some reason you want it for nothing.

I find it insulting and offensive when you attack the neutrality of this site and suggest that the moderators are somehow bias towards e-Bay. No one has been unfair towards you, they simply saw through you. If your site has failed to topple e-Bay, it's because you lack the finances to do it not because of the moderators.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Michael, I was just going to leave this question, unanswered... I figured you are frustrated with me and were asking a rhetorical question....

I have nothing against you personally... Hell, I've never met you and believe I've had less than a 1/2 doz PM messages with you...

When you announced your intent to setup a Site, to compete with ebay, I sent you a PM wishing you luck... I also said in my PM, I didn't think you would have much, if any success. And that more than a few Oldgas "New Member's" had made the same announcement that they were starting competing Sites to ebay and all of them pretty much disappeared within a very short period of time...

If someone berates me for spending my money with ebay or any other Site/person... And they aren't supplying me an alternative that is equal or even has more opportunities to "scratch the Petro bug"... I am going to comment...

Maybe I am being "hyper critical"? I don't believe that I am; But it is near impossible for me to judge my own actions and reactions.... Same as it has be hard for you to judge my comments and actions/reactions as they relate to you and your endeavors....

I hope you can make a go of it and ultimately compete; even if on a smaller stage than ebay...

I, like some others on Oldgas, am tied to my home/general area; because of some private problems... If you are going to raise hell with me and others on Oldgas... Make sure you have something that is a true alternative...

I usually bid on and buy, between 10 and 50 items a Month on ebay and Oldgas... I am a "Petro Junky".... And have been for 90% of my life... (while I surely can not be considered a "Spring Chicken" by more than a few, here. I am older than most on Oldgas)

I am outspoken. I am all too often considered; "a pain in the keister" (and all too often, that is true!). And at times, I act petty and very immature ( my only defense is: I am a times, very immature)....

I hope this answers your question?..... And I also, hope my reply gives an insight to those Members,that have been wondering why I am "so mean"? .... (I get those PM's, asking why I am so mean to some of the New Members, all the time...)

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Thanks for the honest answer Bob. That explains it. That's the first time I've heard you admit to being a pain, immature, petty, and basically mean. Judging from your statement that you get PM's all the time from other members, I'm not the only one that has felt that way. Sure would make things more enjoyable (for many from what it sounds like) if you simply tried to be nice. Who know's maybe you would like it too. Being known as the mean guy can't be fun. Doesn't seem like that to me anyway. But, your choice. I don't have to reply or respond to you, I can hit the ignore button, right.

From day one I have said I am NOT trying to compete with eBay. You have always put those words in my mouth time and time again. I have only stated that I'm trying to create an alternative to eBay. Another choice that would hopefully grow into something worthwhile. I'm not stupid enough to think that I can step in and create a bigger better eBay on zero budget with little skills.

That said, my site has served it's intended purpose. I sold many of my own items, all at my own efforts, and saved a significant amount of money in fees by doing so. More importantly, I've had fun doing it. I still am. I'm still going to keep the site rolling because I enjoy a challenge. It's an additional way for me to "play" in this hobby.

Dave Gill- I've intentionally ignored your last several comments since you're making ridiculous (untrue) claims and seem to be gunning to be Bob's "side kick" (or mini-me?) lol.... No use arguing over the internet with people like that. That's a losing proposition in my book.

I'll bow out (again). Have fun boys. Hopefully you find a desire to be more kind in general. I think many would appreciate that.

Fire away. I'm done with this one. Y'all can have the last word.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL.... If you ever read my posts... You would have read, me saying those things about myself, in probably close to 100 posts...

As I said, I hope your Site is successful...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved