Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5497 Wed Feb 27 2008 05:44 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I recently saw a sign in one of those glorified hot dog stands with all the cool stuff. It was about 5X3' and had the newer Ethyl logo and a yellow ruler marked Golden Rule Gas for Le$$. Underneath read Bypass 66 Springfield.
Would this have come from Illinois or Missouri? Any info on Golden Rule?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#5498 Wed Feb 27 2008 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe Golden Rule is from Wichita Kansas.

------------------
Scott Shipers
www.myspace.com/quartcans

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#5499 Thu Feb 28 2008 12:53 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Just an explanation of what "Bypass 66" meant. Back when 66 went through every major city on its way to California, there was a way around the city called "Bypass 66." Here in St. Louis, the 66 enthusists claim the highway went over the "Chain of Rock Bridge." No it didn't, the "By Pass 66" went over the bridge, 66 went through St. Louis and St. Louis County on its way to Springfield, Missouri. The enthusists only use the bridge as a focal point because it is still there, they don't explain how travelers got to the bridge and where they went after they got off the bridge.
Again here in St. Louis County, there is a great deal of history (Motels, etc.) on old "By Pass 66" that is being overlook. Many of them are still there, by nobody pays any attention to them.
I can only guess at your question, and I would say it was probably from around the Springfield, Missouri area.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#5500 Thu Feb 28 2008 08:33 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
There was also a "Bypass 66" in Illinois around Springfield, but offhand, I can't remember if it was an old routing, or if it was one of the very first stretches of what became I-55.
I do remember Route 66 as a kid, and crossing the Mississippi on a toll bridge. I believe it was the Chain of Rocks, which was closed in 1968. It probably was the bypass, as I can't believe my family ever would have driven through St. Louis.
Having been in the early throes of my gas obsession, I'd think I'd've remembered a Golden Rule gas brand.
It was certainly a dead brand when I lived in Missouri in the 1980s.
Thanks for all the replies.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved