Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#571463 Mon Sep 29 2014 12:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
All that reporting did squat this low life is still at it.
His ***** was called out on facebook also.

# 171473505424

Last edited by ddkinsey; Mon Sep 29 2014 12:07 PM.
ddkinsey #571471 Mon Sep 29 2014 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
reported... cool

mo1.JPG

RANDY
advertologist #571479 Mon Sep 29 2014 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reported.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
advertologist #571480 Mon Sep 29 2014 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What in the world is wrong with what the Seller is doing?

The sign in question was placed up for auction with a starting bid price of $9.99 and FREE SHIPPING...

12- New to ebay Bidders have placed 45 bids for the sign... Driving the price from $10 to over $290... THE SELLER DID NOT DRIVE THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!! DUMB A** UNIFORMED BIDDERS ARE DRIVING THE INCREASE!!!!!!!!!!!

NO WHERE does the Seller say that the sign is original or old... The Seller has placed in the auction description detailed images of the sign, including size and condition...

Did I mention that the Seller STARTED THE AUCTION AT $9.99?

Diane, if no one had bid on it, would you have brought the sign to the Membership's attention?

If the Seller was making outlandish claims about the sign in question, I might understand this thread... But, no where in the Auction Header or in the description does the Seller claim that the sign is "real"... He does say that the sign is from: "This sign was found in my grandpa's estates collection of barn decor"...

Since I am not a Mindreader, I am not sure if this is true or not? I am also not sure nor do I care; if his Grandfather is alive or dead... Or even if he had a Grandfather who was a Collector?....

If the Seller doesn't claim that the sign is "real" or old"! How is he doing anything wrong?....

As to the word "vintage"? If that sign is over a few weeks/months old... It meets the definition of "vintage"....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #571484 Mon Sep 29 2014 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this right here is deceiving, in all his listings current or completed, very carefully worded:... cool

This sign was found in my grandpa's estates collection of barn decor

seems grandpa collected repo's
check out his completed listings

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Advertising-/34/...ete=1&rt=nc

RANDY
advertologist #571488 Mon Sep 29 2014 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Randy, really how do you know that Grandpa did not Collect repop and fantasy signs?

I know a Gentleman that has a rather large Car Collection... His large building is full of repop and fake signs... He would rather spend his money, restoring his cars with period correct parts... Than spend it on signage...

Maybe this Guy's Grandpa held the same mindset? (probably this is just spiel from the Seller,.... but.... what if the Seller does have a "barn full of signs?)

Most every "Used Car" Saleman added a "Story" to his spiel... I will admit, to the fact that for a couple of years... I sold Used Cars.... And I admit, that I could "spin a yarn", with the best of our Salemans....

Bob Richards #571490 Mon Sep 29 2014 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob,
wouldn't grandpa buy repo's for the $20. and display them-
all of these a ball peen hammer has been used & have been aged with rust as we have seen many times. If you were selling grandpa's stuff why wouldn't you clean it up too get the most out of it unless you were out to deceive the buyers- this seller has no credibility & there is no defense for it... cool

RANDY
advertologist #571492 Mon Sep 29 2014 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
do you condone this: 355. for a 20. sign... cool
he knows damn well what he's doing,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171473505424

RANDY
advertologist #571499 Mon Sep 29 2014 03:07 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Difference between spinning the yarn and spinning the odometer back a few thousand miles:) I actually the stories that accompany the orginal old signs....BUT these sellers are purposely aging new signs.

Many of these repops seem to be "new" to the market, and it is highly unlikely grandpa collected these 5-10 years ago (before many existed), beat them up with a hammer...threw acid on them to get that rustic look... and bequeathed them to a child/grandchild just to be sold.

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
AZ_66_Native #571520 Mon Sep 29 2014 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sad....Hammer down $355.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171473505424?

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
AZ_66_Native #571522 Mon Sep 29 2014 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Aaron, do some homework... Ande Rooney Company started making their signs in the late 1970s... By the 1980s... At least 30 different Company's were making these signs... And unless you are the Seller, you have NO IDEA who "aged" the signs!

Randy, the Seller DID NOT force the Bidders and Buyers to drive the prices up... Them being unknowledgeable is the reason... Same as the sign today...

Who cares what a Seller bought an item for! If they list it for $10 and they do not say that it is original or that it is old...

And other People are stupid enough to take it upon themselves to place a value on it, that is not there...

It IS NOT the Sellers fault that he had some dumbsh**'s bidding on his items!!!!!

Just because he says he took the sign out of a barn (maybe he has a small shed/barn where he "ages" the signs... Or maybe he buys the signs from someone who ages the signs in a barn...)

Someone ages a sign; a Used Car Lot gets a $99 Earl Scheib paint job on a beater.... Both are legal as long as neither make "promises" that are not true....

As long as the Seller doesn't claim that the sign is old and/or original... Then what have they done wrong...

If I have an item, that I am not sure of; I think it might be "fake" so I place it on ebay for $10 with a description that it it is good Barn decor and I also add images to ensure that anyone bidding is seeing exactly what they are bidding on...

And someone else decides that what I have is actually worth good money and they drive up the price to $200+ ... Am I required to say, whoa... I think you over paid for that item? - - - No! I described the item honestly, and those bidding are deciding for themselves what they want to spend THEIR Money on...

IMO, it is the same with this Seller... Those bidding were NOT told that the item was old... They were NOT told the item was original... They WERE given numerous images to look at and decide if they wanted to bid and their wallets decided how much they could afford...

I've been at this a long, long time... I've seen all kinds of tricks and seen hundreds of scams...

To me, and I am only relating what I am seeing; On this sign and this sign only (I haven't looked at any other auctions from this Seller, not important to me).... On this sign, the Seller made no claims as to age or to authenticity....

Bob Richards #571534 Mon Sep 29 2014 05:09 PM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Randy, really how do you know that Grandpa did not Collect repop and fantasy signs?

I know a Gentleman that has a rather large Car Collection... His large building is full of repop and fake signs... He would rather spend his money, restoring his cars with period correct parts... Than spend it on signage...

Even some of the rich buy fantasy and reproduction signs. I know Jay Leno has.

Bob Richards #571535 Mon Sep 29 2014 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So you auction something you think is fake and you still consider it honest just to describe it as good barn decor??? By your definition you've omitted vital information. Errors by omission is a legal phrase that is recoverable monetarily. It means the seller or party to the contract is dishonest. Yes the buyers are stupid but it doesn't absolve you or any seller of responsibility to ACCURATELY describe your item.
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Aaron, do some homework... Ande Rooney Company started making their signs in the late 1970s... By the 1980s... At least 30 different Company's were making these signs... And unless you are the Seller, you have NO IDEA who "aged" the signs!

Randy, the Seller DID NOT force the Bidders and Buyers to drive the prices up... Them being unknowledgeable is the reason... Same as the sign today...

Who cares what a Seller bought an item for! If they list it for $10 and they do not say that it is original or that it is old...

And other People are stupid enough to take it upon themselves to place a value on it, that is not there...

It IS NOT the Sellers fault that he had some dumbsh**'s bidding on his items!!!!!

Just because he says he took the sign out of a barn (maybe he has a small shed/barn where he "ages" the signs... Or maybe he buys the signs from someone who ages the signs in a barn...)

Someone ages a sign; a Used Car Lot gets a $99 Earl Scheib paint job on a beater.... Both are legal as long as neither make "promises" that are not true....

As long as the Seller doesn't claim that the sign is old and/or original... Then what have they done wrong...

If I have an item, that I am not sure of; I think it might be "fake" so I place it on ebay for $10 with a description that it it is good Barn decor and I also add images to ensure that anyone bidding is seeing exactly what they are bidding on...

And someone else decides that what I have is actually worth good money and they drive up the price to $200+ ... Am I required to say, whoa... I think you over paid for that item? - - - No! I described the item honestly, and those bidding are deciding for themselves what they want to spend THEIR Money on...

IMO, it is the same with this Seller... Those bidding were NOT told that the item was old... They were NOT told the item was original... They WERE given numerous images to look at and decide if they wanted to bid and their wallets decided how much they could afford...

I've been at this a long, long time... I've seen all kinds of tricks and seen hundreds of scams...

To me, and I am only relating what I am seeing; On this sign and this sign only (I haven't looked at any other auctions from this Seller, not important to me).... On this sign, the Seller made no claims as to age or to authenticity....

Neil Gerrard #571547 Mon Sep 29 2014 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Neil, I put forth a hypothetical scenario...

And I believe that if I didn't know for sure what the background of an item was... I would be correct by describing the item as "good barn decor".... I would not be making any assertions as to the authenticity and/or age of the item...

But, all this is moot... As I don't sell on ebay and haven't sold anything for over 10 years....

Bob Richards #571563 Mon Sep 29 2014 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I understand it was hypothetical but to quote you "I think it might be fake" so you would just list it as "good barn decor" You, under your scenario, left out a detail that probably will affect the final price. Why? to make more money.
That is exactly what this seller and others like him are doing at best. More likely they are lying, Granpa's estate my aching toe. Why give any of them the benefit of the doubt, they don't deserve it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved