Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Old Gas Guys,

When I saw this picture in Jack Sims book, I really liked the idea of coupling the glass Erie tops (or repro!) with the cut-out letters shown in the picture below. I've come up with a design for making letters float like this and am quoting out having them made in polished stainless steel (rather than brass).

Couple of questions for everyone, first of all do you like the idea?

Second I'm working on the following phrases "ETHYL", "PREMIUM", "MOTOR", and "SHELL". Good ones? Something else jump to mind?

Third, if anyone has a picture of an actual Erie pump with this lettering, that would be really useful to me!

When I have more particulars, like the price per set, I'll post back here.

Thanks!

Paul

erie letter.jpg

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
probably too many letters - but seeing a 'KOOLMOTOR' one would be really neat!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Would be interested in ETHYL or Richfield.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Who needs a pump-that looks cool! I would be interested. While it probably would be contextually wrong, ROCO would look great on a Erie top.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'm having issues with longer words, the letters get kind of narrow or short. Anything over 7 letters probably too long although I agree both Richfield and koolmotor would be cool. I'm not familiar with ROCO, what does that refer to?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Richfield Oil COmpany...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark Winnipeg had a small oil company that sold products in Manitoba until 1978 (bought out by Husky Oil) that also went by ROCO but was in long form called Radio Oil COmpany. That's why I thought it would be wrong to have ROCO (MB brand) on an Erie top. Richfield did market ROCO products as well and that leads to some mix ups between the two.

Last edited by Gasman84470; Fri Oct 03 2014 10:03 AM.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
This looks like a neat idea! From the looks of MOTOR in the photo, I'm surprised you can even fit PREMIUM or other 7 letter words? Does anyone know were they original raw brass? polished? painted? Guessing there aren't many of these around to take photos//notes from! Look forward to seeing the results (and then finding a pump to put some on).

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Gasman thanks for explaining I was curious, didnt know about roco!

Signs, yeah premium seems to fit ok, probably the longest length, but still looks good. I can always reduce the height a little to compensate too. I would love to see an original! All I have to go on is the picture.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Everything going well so far with cut-out letters for Erie tops. Have decided to drop the stainless steel polished finish, didnt look as good as prototypes in black or some other color against the lit white Erie Top. Will most likely powdercoat the letters. So far I have the following cut-out words plus two additional brands not shown.

for old gas copy.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Finally found a company to laser cut the letters for me at a reasonable cost, was starting to wonder! I added an eight style, Sinclair, too. Probably be a three weeks minimum before i get them. This is one of those projects that's mostly outsourced so I'm at the whim of suppliers unfortunately. I think they will be pretty cool, anxious to get them!

A
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
A
Paul,I think its a great idea you have,i may be interested in two pair all though my pumps don't have the milk glass top they have the pylon lites not sure if letters would be a right look for my pumps.can't wait to see yours done,Thanks.Al

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
paul --next project is making a stainless kit for the tops seems they are missing a piece or 2-- ruben

looking for spanish gas signs
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ALS, be interesting to see how they would look on that top, I think it would look good, could always try it!

Ruben, I think Ron Scobie makes those already:

http://www.gaspump.com/Other_Parts.html

Erie 70, 71, 80, 81, 90G, 91G "Guardsman" - Faces - 10 1/4" x 12 1/4" white painted face for early computer pump. Large rectangular openings for gallons and sale. $50/set. Stainless steel upper bar trim $10 each. Stainless steel site glass trim $5 each (long) or $4 each (short). Replacement site glass (not plastic!) $45. ID tag $10. Reset crank $20. Parts breakdown $3. Erie decal 4" $4 or 7" $7.

Thanks for the feedback! Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No offense to Ron, but his are just solid pieces of Stainless. That's not the way they were made originally - and it just doesn't look right.

I used to sell them, but I apparently ordered too many originally as my tooling/stamping guy tossed the tooling 'cuz I hadn't ordered in so long. So now I don't carry them anymore.

Later . . .

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved