Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#572726 Sun Oct 05 2014 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I had visitors show up at my house last weekend and stay for 7 days!!
I had shown my good friend Mike Hudson, some pictures of an old grain elevator on a farm north of me that was scheduled for demolition, and he got all excited about doing some salvage on it! He rounded up someone to help him and headed north to Devils Lake with a trailer in tow.
They set to work early the next day and worked carefully so as to not damage any lumber, and worked for the next 7 days salvaging as much as they could carry on the trailer that Mike had. They were pretty well loaded, but made the trip back to Parker, Colorado in a single day.
The attached pictures show the elevator from start to finish and theres even a picture of one furry little fellow that had his house torn apart! LOL
I thought some of you might enjoy the pictures of the adventure! This first group shows the building and interior walls as they first saw it.--KEVIN

Tonys Grainery 001.JPG Tonys Grainery 003.JPG Nordin Elevator 001.JPG Nordin Elevator 003.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This group of photos shows the furry little guy that lost his home, and shows what the elevator looked like after about 5 days of stripping off the roof and interior walls.

Mouse.jpg Sale Items 009.JPG Sale Items 012.JPG Mike 1.jpg

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Heres a set of pics that Mike took when he was on top the elevator and removing the roof sheeting. The roof was fairly steep and there was a pretty good view of the surrounding country side.
I think they enjoyed the work and the price was right! The owner said they could take anything they wanted!
Best part was, there were no problems on their trip and no one got hurt! LOL

Top 1.jpg Top 2.jpg Top3.jpg

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool! Thanks for keeping us all updated Kevin!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So, weathered barn wood?

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin that reminds me of the church behind our house that was taken apart by men from a local Hutterite colony. They did the same as your friend. Including keeping most of the nails. That building had 20 men swarming over it and it was down and gone within the week all the good stuff recycled into their new buildings on the colony wherever it was.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I know from experience that is a lot of work! Enjoy the fruits of your labor, gentlemen.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Salvage material is out there.This new fast-growth lumber that is available,is not even close to the quality of material that is out there to be salavaged from old structures all over our country.Every day we see these old buildings bull-dozed,hauled off and buried.I believe in "re-cycle" this material and "re-purpose".A lot of hard work,but a sense of satisfaction!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Pretty impressive job...... need to see a picture of the loaded trailer.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
need to see what the future holds for this material... did he already have plans for re-use? Or simply selling the material?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Im sure Hotrod has a gameplan, knowing him smile
Another intriguing tale from the Frith Homestead smile

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I Went furniture shopping this week-end. The salesman said that old/recycled wood furniture is the new fad. That he sells more recycled/old wood coffee tables than ones made out of new materials. I didn't realize it was that popular and this was at a bigbox furniture store.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: dalin
I didn't realize it was that popular

reclaimed wood furniture is absolutely huge right now. just ask MDQG

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Thanks for posting the pics and sharing the story Kevin! We had a great time with Kevin and Lori, they were wonderful to share their home with us! We experienced so much in 7 days it's hard to know where to start. Kevin was kind and generous enough to allow us to deconstruct a grain elevator there at Devils Lake N.D. and reclaim the materials for reuse in commercial and residential properties. One customer is going to use the exterior siding and roofing tin for their basement that they are turning it into a Jack Daniel's theme. I will post pics of this project when finished. I have deconstructed a couple of old barns over the last two years and I have sold much of the lumber/tin to a new winery in Palisade CO., tree house project in Shawnee Mission, KS to custom homes in Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. This is pioneer work and I am always learning from each of these projects we undertake. Thanks again, Kevin and Lori!

Last edited by hotrodhudson48; Fri Oct 10 2014 08:19 PM.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved