Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Just bought two Kanotex lenses that I want to display in two seperate globes mounted with lights. My plan was to put them in Capco bodies with a frosted lens on the back of each one. Problem is they are too small to fit the Capco bodies, they are only 13 1/4 in diameter instead of 13 1/2.

Supposedly these only work with original Gill bodies? Where can I find those and what other options might I have?

image.jpg image.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
I have a gill lens on display at my cabin. I put it on a glass body and used a little clear silicone on the edges at 12-3-6 and 9 o'clock.

Its not right, but is a easy way to display a lens that is designed for a gill body without spending the $$ for a gill or ripple..

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can install 13 1/4" lenses in a capco body but you'll need to take a belt sander to the mating surfaces of the body. You'll also need to cut the locating tabs out of the body.
If you modify a capco to hold 13 1/4" lenses you'll need 13 1/4" frosted lenses.
A better solution would be to caulk the lenses to a glass body like Ryan mentioned. Lay the body on it's side. Set the lens on the body. Caulk around the lens (four 1" beads spaced as Ryan mentioned). Do not set the lens in the caulk! Caulk around the lens. Leave the globe on it's side overnight so the caulk can set up. Then it should be ok to display.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob is correct. Cut both bottoms and half of each side on top. You will end up with about 1/16" of material left from face to back where screw sets.
I don't have any in my collection as I put them on gill bodies or I could post a pic.

The glass body and silicone works also.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you search long enough, you'll find a gill body. They are around and usually run $400 to $500 for a real nice one.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry for the dumb question but where do I buy glass bodies??

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
And if I decide to cut down th Capco body where do I find 13 1/4" frosted lens? Have never seen those either.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I myself;
I would sand down a reproduction Capco body until it holds the lenses. I would not worry about a lens for the backside. Put it up on a shelf with a light bulb to light it up and enjoy!

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
You can also find a broken gill lense to use as a back lens.

Bill Fortune
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
For the backside of the "trimmed down" CAPCO frame, go to your local Hobby store, get a piece of poster size foam board or heavy poster board, trace the outline of the lens onto the poster board, and then cut out the circle from the poster board. Now you have a back side "lense" to keep the light from shining out the back side of the CAPCO frame.

I had an issue with an oversized 15" lense. I mounted the lense to the front side of my globe body with clear silicone. I cut out and mounted heavy poster board in the backside of the globe frame. Worked great for me.

Good luck! Greg

Greg
On the lookout for Marland Oil / Conoco Globes
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
You could also use one of the aluminum wall displays designed for one lens. not sure if the snap ring would take up the slack. can use silicone in this situation also. Ron Lease-Collector. ;;;;;;;;

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used one of those metal wall bodies worked fine

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T

I am with Bryce on this one lol! Nice!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hmm... I have a wall mount metal body. Will give it a try. If it works, why wouldn't the two sided metal body work also?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved