Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jwood7 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
So I purchased this Sunoco box that I posted in BOTW and when I got it the guy showed me that the areas on it that look like they are sun faded are what he believed to be a bad clear coat job.

Long story short I am trying to remove the clear coat using stripper. First I tried the strongest paint stripper I could find. It did not help, now I am trying Aircraft stripper and seeing will work but so far the results do not look promising.

Now I have shown pictures of two different areas on the box one where the previous owner was successful at removing some of the clear and the gloss is great and another to show what it looks like.

My question is has anyone ever had this much trouble removing clear coat. I have never had this much trouble before in my life with getting paint off of a sign so I am not sure why this is so resistant to all these types of treatments. Could this instead be a very bad wax job someone did out in the sun and if so should I be using a different technique to get it off?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P1010937.JPG P1010936.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
It is very possible that it is unevenly faded like that from leaving everyone's new favorite porcelain cleaner on it to long in the sun. Some acid cleaners WILL dull and remove the top fired surface of porcelain. If you are unsure if clear is present...just try a razor in a small section...it it strips its paint..if not, someone poorly cleaned that with the acid treatment.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with man cave, use a sharp razor if it cleans off its probably old wax. Sometimes a challenge to remove. Elbow grease and keeping a sharp blade in the holder and perseverance. if your blade is sharp and in a holder you don't need heavy pressure just repetition. I just ran into this with a double sided six footer and it took a couple of days to get it off. Not one remover did squat. I tried everything I had.

jwood7 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I just got done with the aircraft stripper on one side and it looks like it is cleaning one layer off of the stuff but it is not helping much. I then tried the razor blade and it is flaking some of the stuff off, very slowly.

I guess the razor blade is going to be the best way to clean it for the time being then maybe some rubbing compound.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Try lacquer thinner on it. Will not hurt the porcelain but will cut through wax, clear coat, etc. Just hope that there is not touch up underneath.

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved