Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51852 Sat Nov 15 2003 12:43 PM
+
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
+
Went to get the A-38 blasted today drove about 30 miles to a place that uses plastic bead so it won't warp the skins, I've used this guy before, but this time the price is five times the price it was before. I asked why so much ? he said I know what there worth now, you guys get a lot of bucks for these pumps!! can you believe that? I said see ya! Drove back and called a guy that uses sand ,he said sure ,I'll have it done in a half hour . he did a great job and the best part is I saved 250.00 .
What do you guys pay for a pump to be blasted in your part of the country anyway? is 300.00 bucks the going rate,or is 50.00 more like it

Chris Holt
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#51853 Sat Nov 15 2003 01:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I pay $100-$150 (Canuck Bucks) to have an entire pump blasted and primed. The variable is the amount of cast iron, it takes longer and is harder to handle. My guy is very good, he uses copper slag and has never warped a panel, everything always fits the same as when it came apart. I see his point though Chris, I mean all you have to do is take it apart, have it blasted, and then put it back together right, then collect Mega Bucks. I mean paint is cheap, parts, decals and globes are even cheaper, and your time isn't worth anything

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

#51854 Sat Nov 15 2003 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris, I have ran into the same thing... I first used a guy that uses the beads and it cost me $240. When I went to pick it up he was talking about how great this stuff is because he can blast the older model vettes in about 1 hour and I said heck for $100 you could blast it and that sure would beat sanding. He said they charge $500 to blast a vette even though it only takes 1 hour. I said that is robbery and he remarked he losses money on some jobs so it evens out. I had my last pump blasted and powder coated for $300. You think blasting is expensive try dipping one!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#51855 Sat Nov 15 2003 02:09 PM
Z
Z
Look around the yellow pages and find a place to have them dipped. Ask the guys that restore cars they should know someone close. It will be worth the time. I just took all the sheet metal pieces of a Wayne 60 and three 48 ford dashes to my local guy and it was $65. The guy next door that does sand blasting did the frame and base for $10 and the frame for my 48 for $20. But i also take them each one or two pumps a month at least. I am sure they are giving me a break for being a steady customer. Like i said check around and ask questions it will be worth it.

#51856 Sat Nov 15 2003 02:21 PM
L
L
Chris, I get a man in Greensboro N.C. to sandblast my pumps. He charges $40.00 for a small pump and $60.00 for a tall pump. He cuts the air back to about 90 psi at the end of the hose so there is no warping. The small stuff I do myself with my 70 lb blaster. Looks like I am getting a great deal.
Lee

------------------

#51857 Sat Nov 15 2003 02:48 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Chris,
Seems high but don't know anything about plastic bead blasting. The local sandblaster here has a $50 minimum/hour charge. but did the skins of a visible in about 10 minutes. He did a great job..no warping.
The local guy with an acid tank did my 36B panels and doors for $25. I'm not completely sold on acid so bought a sandblaster on Ebay for $85.
I haven't used it yet but since I'm 30 miles from these guys, I thought I'd try doing them myself when it fit my schedule rather than their's.
Anxious to see your A-38.
Rod
in Nebraska

------------------

#51858 Sat Nov 15 2003 03:27 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I would suggest to the first guy that you wanted it taken off, not put on and that if he thinks hes good at painting he should paint one. But of couse if he thinks he is worth 250 an hour there may not be much money in it.
Those guys piss me off, there is one down the street. I had a G&B visible base with a bout 6inch section rotted off but not the whole flange. I figured just to exercise my metal skills i would try to fix it. Just a base but it had a lot of corrosion, he says 25 bucks, I say more than its worth. What is your rate he says 75.00, or 90.00 I say that more than a machine shop, he says well we have to buy sand , I says 30.00 and hour worth and you dont reclaim it? I told him I cant afford to even work on the piece.
He sells the business and now 2 years later the new guy wants 125.00, a guy complains he says look around we all charge that..if someone will do it!! But he would give a break for cash!!

If his only concern is making a quick dollar chances are his work sucks.

Guess some of us are in the wrong business. Nothing against making money, but the gougers usually get what they deserve..no repeat or refferal business. I think there are others more reasonable or we got to do it ourselves.

Hate to see what he thinks he is worth on airplane or Helicopter parts...dodogas

#51859 Sat Nov 15 2003 03:48 PM
+
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
+
Dodo, It's funny you should say helicopter, There was a small helicopter frame setting outside of the shop ,I looked at it when I left thinking how bad some pilot was getting screwed, Rod I do all the small parts at work ,if it fits in the machine I do it myself, panels and frame are the only thing I farm out.Its nice having one at work I'm hoping to have the A-38 done before Christmas, Have you started on yours yet?

Chris Holt
#51860 Sat Nov 15 2003 04:25 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Chris, I got it back together but could use some more body work in a few places and sandblasted. I'm still looking for a door or may cut the lower half off and make a display pump.
I'll post some pics some day.
Rod

------------------

#51861 Sat Nov 15 2003 05:56 PM
G
G
AROUND HERE A GUY I KNOW CHARGES ME $40 FOR A SHORT PUMP & $50 FOR A TALL AND HE USES PLASTIC BEADS. THAT'S JUST THE SKINS,BOTH SIDES, BUT NOT THE FRAME. A GUY AT A SWAP MEET TOLD ME HE WOULD ACID DIP TANK ONE FOR $75, SKINS ONLY. THE BLASTER GUY SAID HE CAN MAKE PRETTY GOOD MONEY, EVEN AFTER BUYING THE PLASTIC BEAD. SO WHEN THEY SAY THEY HAVE TO HAVE $250, THEY'RE RIPPING YOU OFF!!

#51862 Sat Nov 15 2003 07:19 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Chris, I pay a local guy apprx. $50.00 - $75.00 to blast an entire pump (frame and all but disassembled). He is a experienced blaster and I never had any problem with warpage. Since the goal is to get the A-38 done before the holidays, I'll e-mail your my Christmas wish list (A-38 is at the top) LOL

#51863 Sat Nov 15 2003 07:27 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I do my own sandblasting but I know for a fact that there are several places in my area (Wilmington, NC) that will sandblast a short pump and visible for $40.00 and a tall pump for $50.00. If someone quotes $300.00, they are either crazy or incompetent. Doing it yourself is the ticket if you have an area to do it in. You can buy a $200.00 sandblast package, a hood for $40.00, a 5 hp. air compressor and make it happen easily. I buy "Play Box Sand" from Lowes or Home Depot, set my pressure at 75 psi and sandblast the pump just like I paint it, VERY CAREFULLY. One may argue that a 5 hp. is too small but you blast for approx 5 minutes, take a breather, look over what you've done then when the air compressor cuts off you can start back. The average pump takes me no mre than 30 minutes to complete. Whether you're restoring a pump or doing anything else for that matter, the less dependant you are on others the better off you are. I hate being at someone else's mercy in any arena. Neal

#51864 Sat Nov 15 2003 09:30 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I use a guy that dips them im my area.
I've had two done for about $115.00 each.
Sheet metal tops and bases.
---JERRY

------------------

JERRY
#51865 Sat Nov 15 2003 11:06 PM
C
C
My friend found a place that is $1/minute do it yourself. I'm going to go there instead of the $5/bag of silica. To do my Gilbarco 96, it was about $25 in sand.

But after getting my motorcycle helmet (my protection! -- dual purpose!!) full of sand, running the compressor for about 1 hour straight, cleaning up, and just dealing with clothes full of sand . . . well, it's still cheaper for me and I have a lot more sentimental value to my pumps.

Get a lot of money for them????? What? Like I intend to sell my pumps!!! Geeeez . . . I have to put up with the high dollar just to find the pumps I want to own.

#51866 Sun Nov 16 2003 03:46 PM
C
C
Hello all, got a guy here in town that does pumps for $85.00, that includes blasting all the parts that need to be blasted and priming everything. It does not matter what size the pump is, as long as it is disassembled its a flat fee. Takes him about a week from the time you drop it off, he fits it in amoung the big jobs hes doing

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved