Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#594116 Sat Jan 24 2015 08:32 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Just got this 9 foot by 12 inch "skelly oil company" porcelain sign. Previously was used with a bunch of the same as a ceiling panels and they had cut the end off and nailed to the rafters to make it fit. The man I go it from had some other pieces of a similar sign "skelly oil products" that I got the end piece of as well, to try and salvage the "s" from and repair the large sign. Any suggestions on cutting the end with the S off of the small piece and trying to blend back in to the large sign? I would also like to touch up the rest of the chip outs as well, wont be perfect but I think it could turn out nice. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tom

skelly4 (240x135).jpg skelly3 (240x135).jpg skelly1 (2) (640x361) (250x141) (240x135) (205x115) (200x112).jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It will never look right with the upside down S.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #594165 Sun Jan 25 2015 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO, a few ways you could probably do this.

If you are going to touch up the rest of the sign then get some paint color matched and make the missing portion (out of metal or wood and then paint the missing text onto it.

Secondly, you could take the existing piece and have cut down size using the services of a water jet cutter to minimize edge chipping of the porcelain. I would cut out the "S" in a rectangle shape and then invert it and place it back in place.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the replies, the second option was kind of what I was thinking to do but was worried about chipping when cutting with a dotco cutoff wheel, but had not thought about water jet. I do understand the s would not look right upside down and that is why cutting the s out of the border and rotating, then splicing back in then the hole piece back on, seems like it would work out. now to find someone with water jet close to Wichita. I don't think this sign ever saw the outside so the gloss is really nice.
Thanks for the idea.
Tom

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
diamond cut of wheel will work and you can tack weld from back side. try tack welding a bad piece first then proceed. good luck.

PETRO NUT #594379 Mon Jan 26 2015 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why tack weld when you can buy body panel adhesives that are stronger then welding??

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What a waste. Hate to see a sign like that cut up

-Brian
LSx #594508 Mon Jan 26 2015 05:30 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: LSx
not sure I understand the waste if it puts the sign back to more like it should read " skelly vs Kelly" and the spare piece doesn't have much use with just "ucts"

LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: full-o-gas
Originally Posted By: LSx
not sure I understand the waste if it puts the sign back to more like it should read " skelly vs Kelly" and the spare piece doesn't have much use with just "ucts"

It sucks to see signs cut up like that. I know its common, but still hard to see

-Brian

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved