Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Do any forum followers have any experience buying Petroliana from Mecum Auctions? As many of you know, the upcoming auction of the Walker Sign Collection features many desirable signs.

It would be nice to hear what experience others have had directly with Mecum. On the surface, they appear to be a reputable firm, but I do not have any prior experience with their customer service and my initial contact with them has left an impression.

Thanking everyone in advance for sharing their feedback.

Chad

Last edited by Chad Haas; Mon Mar 23 2015 06:24 PM.

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Chad like other auctions, with big stuff it is best to go and pack and bring back with you. Many companies have to charge big for extra work they do and internet paying. If you are there, then you have an advantage of seeing first hand and being able to buy cheaper and shipping or bringing it back with you cheaper.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you for the advice Craig. You are right; being able to attend and see everything first-hand is the best option. Unfortunately my schedule does not allow me to be in Memphis for this particular auction, which why I have paid the registration to submit absentee bids. But trying to navigate that process without receiving customer service support from Mecum has left me with an impression. I'm not sure I can recommend to my customers that this is an auction in which we should participate.

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Chad,

As an internet bidder, you would be paying a higher final value fee. The expectation is that Mecum would provide you with more service than an attending bidder. However, I tried a few years ago to get some additional information on a classic car in one of their auctions. I called a few times and was told that someone would get back to me. Needless to say, I never received a call back.

In Mecum's defense, I'm sure they get MANY requests for additional information. The costs associated with dealing with those requests may far outweigh the extra fees they reap from internet bidding. I don't think you can fairly judge Mecum without knowing how many information requests they receive for an auction.

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
If you're talking signs here,I recall a topic on here a few years ago about a Mecum auction & it's far away bidders being surprised how much they were charged to have their winning items boxed and shipped to them.
It was not directed @ Mecum,as much as it was as the company they hired to do the crating & shipping and the fees they charged,if I recall.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
You may want to check out uShip as an option to get your items. A blanket wrap service I think would be good for your signs.
Dave

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

Put an ad on here, looking for a member who is going ? They would be able to get sign at least to their place ???

Doug

JMT Mecum should be answering "Every" question from outside bidders.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved