Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101165 Sun Dec 19 2004 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Guys, it has been fun. Thanks for all of the support and contributions over the past several weeks. Hope some of you have ventured out to other areas because of something you saw on this thread and thought that was cool (I have). Thanks to the oldgas board to trust in me to do the job.

Now for the last week we will do something fun. We will do your favorite item in your collection and a little story behind why it is.

Thanks again for all of the support.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED Phillips 44 Items
Kansas City, Missouri 64151

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
That's a tough one !
To me they are ALL favorites, and each has a story of when found/bought/traded.
Dick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
You've been a great host of Collectible Of The Week. It's been a very interesting feature for sure. The down side is it made me realize all the cool stuff I'm missing out on by collecting only globes. It inspired me to add other items to my collection.
Thank you very much for all you've done for the site.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thank you Scott for your time and for taking over this thread, you did great. love ya.

------------------
Dwaine. pca-west.org
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/Items_for_Sale.html
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/misc_.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Picking a favorite item from my collection would be nearly impossible.
I thought:
Should I choose an item that I searched a long time for?
Should I choose a rare item that I stumbled across?
Should I choose the most desireable item in my collection?
Nope, none of the above.
I picked the item that means the most to me. Its certainly not valuable to anyone but me.
Here's the can:

Here's why its so important to me.
I'm not sure when we actually started collecting petroliana. We would attend auctions to buy items for resale at flea markets and antique shows. We also had an automotive literature business. Somewhere along the line the petro bug bit me. It got to my boys too. It wasn't long until we heard about Iowa Gas. We had to go! We had been to many automotive swap meets but never a petro show. We had no idea what would be in store for us at Des Moines in August of '95. I managed to save up $300 (big money to me at the time)and took the Friday off so we could go to the show. Gas, meals and hotel expenses had to come out of that money. I was hoping to find a few things to add to my Standard (Ind) can collection. Jeff (13)and Darrel (11)had earned some money by cleaning up some of our work sites so they could buy items for their collections. We couldn't believe our eyes when we got to the show! The boys and I were going crazy! We couldn't have imagined that the show would be anything like what we saw. Darrel and I met Shell collector and nice guy Al Schoenbach and talked to him for quite awhile. Karen and Jeff got tired of waiting and went on ahead. We met up a short time later. After all these years I could still point out the spot in the north lot of the Holiday Inn where Jeff walked up with a big grin on his face and said "Hey Pops, I got you a birthday present". He started to pull the can out of the bag, then told me I'd have to wait until my birthday. He couldn't wait. He reached in the bag and pulled out the can and handed it to me.
After all these years it's still a $3 can....to everyone but me. To me it's priceless because when I look at the can, I can see Jeff reach in the bag and hear him say "Hey Pops, I got you a birthday present".

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Scott for the great job. Here is my first pump I ever did and it is my favorite because it all started with this one pump I was going to do. Yes common pump and common brand but it is dedicated to my father who owned Texaco gas stations when I grew up. He never got to know that I got hooked on this hobby so this one is special to me. Thanks Ted

------------------
Ted Roach
Stuck in Lodi CA.
pca-west.org

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/ethancarman/mypumps/veltex[/img]

[This message has been edited by cans and stuff (edited 12-19-2004).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
My item is a special gift to me for Christmas a few years back from my mom and dad. Here is how the story goes:

This is my favorite item because of the story behind it. When me and my brother first started collecting quart oil cans my mom and dad went to the local Imperial Refineries guy who used to run the station and asked him if he had any oil cans to sell so they could give to us for Christmas. He said that he didn't but he told them where he had dumped everything from the station that closed in the 80's. They went to the dump and dug up and cleaned these cans for us and gave them to us for Christmas around the year 2000. We were amazed when we opened our presents that Christmas day. Me and my dad and brother went back to the dump that next spring and dug a whole day to salvage all of the cans we could. Out of all of the Imperial cans this one is my favorite. We also found broken A-38 ad glass and another globe that had been tossed. It is hard to believe that any of these cans survived for that many years near a creek where they were dumped and that area had been flooded several times. Hope the EPA isn’t reading this.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc38b3127cceab9c14b10d020000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED Phillips 44 Items

Scott Shipers
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Scott, Thanks for a Terrific Feature! This one has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience for me.

As most of you know, I have only been collecting for a short time. Last fall (2003) I built a fantasy Texaco station in my backyard as a patio cover outside the gameroom in our barn.

I accidently came across this site while searching for information and signs for my station and started watching the posts.

This led me to Roy Reed Gas Bash earlier this year where I met GasPumpRob, Aquaelvis and Dick Bennett. They helped me find what I needed for my station. Then I got hooked on the hobby.

Since then I have been scouring garage sales, estate sales and swap meets in search of cheap finds for what has now become "The Poor Man's Museum".

In November I placed a little ad in our local weekly throw away paper hoping to find more stuff. The results were suprising and I have found myself driving up and down the Central Coast meeting new people that are interested in this hobby and buying great things for my growing collection.

My favorite find and current favorite item is My Tokheim 39 pump in original Flying A green. This pump has been my good luck charm. It was one of the first things I bought from an ad call. Shortly after the call about the pump a guy called me to say he had some original Flying A plates to sell. When he told me what he thought they were worth I was a bit blown away, but after consulting some of the Petro experts I found out they were worth several times more than what he wanted. I bought the plates. Last week while picking cans to buy out of a collection I came across two original Flying A ad glasses that fit the pump. I bought those too.

In a month and a half I have been able to put together an all original Flying A pump for less than 500. bucks and it's my favorite (of course I'm new to this so I'm sure that favorites come and go).

I have not doubt that sooner or later that original Flying A globe is going to find me too!

C Cragg
D
D

Found in my home town from an older lady whose father had run a filing station in northern oklahoma

[This message has been edited by dsmith (edited 12-19-2004).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You gotta love those ripple body globes!That could easily be my favorite too.

Scott, That's a great story and an awesome can.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 12-19-2004).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ted,
Great story behind that pump. I think its cool that you got Jason hooked on the hobby too. Nothing is more important than family!
Bob

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the kind words guys...........

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED Phillips 44 Items

Scott Shipers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY, EVERYBODY....I HAVE TO AGREE WITH DICK. WHEN A COLLECTOR LIKE MYSELF HAS SO MANY NEAT ITEMS AND STORIES THAT GO WITH THEM, IT'S DIFFICULT TO NARROW IT DOWN TO JUST ONE ITEM.
GREAT SUBJECT SCOTT! THE WHOLE YEAR WAS PACKED FULL OF INTERESTING COTW'S. GLAD I COULD ADD TO SOME OF THEM IN MY FIELDS OF EXPERTISE! (REMEMBER THE OUTBOARD MARINE COTW!)

DOC @ TAG/WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T

this is one of my favorites. wayne 60 showcase right off the farm. ive told the story.
first pic is where she lived on the farm. his son gave it a fresh coat of paint a few months prior to me stopping. infact he painted EVERYTHING around that farm! his wife layed some plastic flowers in the showcase area for decoration. his son maybe felt bad for shooting the heck out of the 60 when he was a kid with his new B-B gun. the sunburst is peppered. (i polished it anyway & left it in there) then the son got a .22 cal. & took a couple pot shots at the pump.
(holes still in it but not bad)

the farmer bought the farm 40 some years ago & the 60 came with the deal. (what a deal) see the pipes sticking up in the yard?
now you see them in the second pic laying in the back of the truck. (i could buy the pump if i removed those pipes.) man did i work up a sweat on the first (tall pipe) i wiggled it back & forth, round & round, dug awhile & finally got her out.
the short pipe was much easier, i hooked a chain to the truck & slowly jerked it loose. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

this pump sat on a dead end road, infact if you kept going on the road you would run right into it!
it took a couple trips out to visit the guy to buy the pump. i was so happy & surprised to see a showcase out in the wild i made him a $500.00 cash offer thinking i would own it right then & there. NO-WAY! but i ended up paying the 500 clams & it could have been bought for MUCH LESS! (one never knows?!) they invited me in & we sat at the table BS.ing. his wife had gearhead brothers that worked on cars when they were young & set her up in a 33 ford coupe with a rumble seat for her first car. someone backed into her 33 at the store & bent the rear wheel & axle something terrible. so her brothers turned that into a hot rod & got her a great deal on a 37 packard convertible.
the farmer remembered thats what she was driving when they met but couldnt remember what they ever did with the car?! - i was hoping that was hid-out in a shed somewhere to!

i guess this would have been a good (collector story of the month) BUT i have 11 more 60s. 11 more stories- plus!!! LOL!!!!!!!

You can see B-B gun dents in the sunburst.
.22 cal dent to the right of the face in the frame. another hole top left. those are EZ fix but theres a .22 hole right above the sunburst on the edge that will be a tough fix! - i think ill leave this pump 'as is' awhile anyway. i like looking at it the way it is!

oh hey now i look at the bottom picture i can see my magnetic sheet stuck to the garage door behind the pump!
paint PCA pollution control agency on it, cut it to size, slap one on each door of your truck, give the farmers a small fine to pay & remove their pump for them before you test the soil!!! LOL! --- id never do it! BUT i bet one could sure buy those pumps that 'cant be bought out in the wild!'

1957 ford rearend in the truck too. bought that another place for 50.00. i sandblasted it before i was to take it apart BUT when i turned it over to finish blasting 90W gear lube was seeeeeping out teeny tiny pitted holes! shes shot! i didnt care though. i was just happy to get that 60!!!

[This message has been edited by tom 2 tone (edited 12-20-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved