Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#102772 Thu Jan 06 2005 12:33 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F

My favorite piece of Phillips memorabilia. Federal Electric embossed porcelain sign with neon.

In 1903, Frank Phillips and his brother L.E. became aware of the oil boom in the Bartlesville OK area and formed Anchor Oil and Gas company. They raised enough money to drill four wildcat wells....the first three failed...but the fourth(known as "Anna Anderson #1") was a gusher and saved the day!
Phillips Petroleum company incorporated in 1917 with 27 employees and a million dollars in capitol---by 1924, their assets were $103 million, and grew to $266 million by 1926! Phillips opened their first refinery in Texas in 1927 to service their 200+ producing wells.At that time, Phillips Petroleum was also the largest producer of natural gas liquids. Very successful to say the least.
The Phillips company was also successful in the retail arena with their gasoline and related products, and by 1949, there were over 12,000 independent stations in 27 states. An agressive marketing campaign that began with their move into Florida in 1953 swept them eventually into every state in the union. Phillips survives today(I believe technically as a part of Conoco?) even after all the mergers/buyouts that have all but wiped out the proud company names that most of us grew up with.
I'm sure most of you have read somehwere or heard the stories of how their gasoline became "66" --I"ve read several....like the specific gravity of the formula was 66....or 66 was chosen to play off US Hwy 66...but the best and most accepted story goes like this---
In 1927, an automobile sped along Hwy 66 somewhere near Tulsa on a road test of the "new" gasoline refined by Phillips. The car's passenger, a company executive, was impressed by the fuel's performance and commented to the driver "This car goes like 60 on our new gasoline". The driver looked at the speedometer and replied "60 NOTHING!--we're doing 66!!" True? Who knows for sure, but it makes a good story.
Although the advertising (early logos, black/orange shield, red/white shield)stayed pretty simple and consistant, Phillips sold so MANY different products that a serious collector would nearly need a warehouse to display one of everything!
I know many of you have wonderful Phillips-related things, so this thread should go for several pages. I'll save what little I have to fill in.
Cans, signs, pumps, globes, posters, station photos---let's SEE what ya got! If you have difficulties posting pics(like I USED to), Doc or Lastgas or Oldgas..or even I will be happy to help you get them up here for all to see.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GREAT REPORT, MIKE! SHORT AND RIGHT TO THE "PERNT" AS ED NORTON WOULD SAY! PREFER A SHORT STORY WHEN READING FROM THE MONITOR...SAVES MY EYES!
ANYWAY, THANKS FOR GETTING IT DONE EVEN THOUGH A LITTLE LATE.....BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!

I KNOW I HAVE SOME STUFF TO ADD HERE AS WELL. HOPE EVERYBODY HAVING A PIECE OF PHILLIPS 66 HISTORY CAN CHIME IN AS WELL!
I KNOW THIS WILL BE A GREAT MONTH!

THANKS AGAIN, MIKE!
------------------------------------------------------
DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Aumman Auctions has been a great supporter of our Showcase features along with many collectors and dealers. THANKS to ALL those that furnish images for these features!

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 01-07-2005).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 01-08-2005).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Single side cardboard, part of a larger cardboard sign. Was held on by short pcs. of cord [for motion]. Background piece is sky, fields,and town at bottom.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well, it's not quite a classic yet, but it's the only 66 thing I've got. It should clean up nice though.

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 01-08-2005).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY THUNDER....THERE ARE SOME ITEMS THAT SHOULD BE TOSSED IN THE GARBAGE OR POSSIBLE DISPLAYED IN AN ART FORM!
JUST KIDDING...HA-HA! GOOD LUCK WITH THE CLEAN-UP (TRY GASOLINE)!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES~!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Well, since Thunder is taking things down a notch from those awesome globes here are some of my rustic contributions.

Farm fresh Wayne 70 originally Calso Chevron (Green/Green) painted over to Phillips 66 in front of my little 66 sign.

Grease is the word, is the word...

C Cragg
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
delete

------------------
Ron Bettin
740-774-OHIO(6446)
bettin@bright.net

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
OUCH!!!! You guys are harsh!!!!! LOL I'm new to this Petro stuff, but I'm tryin..... Gas to clean that can? Should I also try a match?I need to get to a gas bash. Hey Scootdog, whats the plan? I need some real stuff!Thanks for the laughs.....

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 01-08-2005).]

C
CJ Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
IMG]http://img138.exs.cx/img138/544/phillips9ew.jpg[/IMG]
HAVE THE FRAME/HANGER THAT SILHOUETTES THIS SIGN ALSO

GUYS, SUPER PHILLIPS STUFF YOU'RE SHOWING.....CJ

C
CJ Offline
Petro Enthusiast