Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Good evening everyone.
Sorry for being late, after supper chores to do.
First off, I would like to acknowledge and thank Alex Colwell for the references and history of the British American Oil Co., and his wonderfull web site.If it were not for him, this would not be possible. Also a huge thanks to Doc for the awsome banner, a wonderfull talent he has.
I will start off with some history of the B/A company, and do a section every night or so, as to not get too drawn out and boring. Along with that, I will post pictures, mostly from my collection which consists mostly items etc. from the 1940's to 1969. Anyone else who has any photos or history,please feel free to post anytime. Now that that is out of the way, here we go.
In 1906, 29 year old Albert Ellsworth, a native of Welland Ontario, founded the British American Oil Co. Previous to that, Albert spent 9 years working at Standard Oil's Acme, Buffalo Refinery.
Albert acted as the Secretary-Treasurer for the company, and a man by the name of S.R. Parson was the first President of B/A.
The name of British American Oil came about being organized with a province of Ontario Charter dated Oct.17, 1906, under the British Authority of King Edward VII, so it was a British Company as Canada was still under the British Reign. American Petroleum products were the standard measure around the world, so it was a British company, with American standards in Canada, hense the name.
I think I will stop there for now, and continue later. I will see if I can post a few pictures of some signs.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-01-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-02-2007).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Starting from the bottom going up, the bow-tie logo which was introduced in 1928, next is the green/red logo which was introduced between 1948 to 1950, next is the blue/orange logo which was introduced in 1967, last picture is the front wall of my garage.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-01-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KEN, FYI...I SENT YOU THE BANNER DAYS AGO ON A REPLY TO YOUR EMAIL SENDING ME THE PICTURE OF MR. B/A.
I ALSO RESENT YOU THE BANNER A FEW MINUTES AGO IN AN IMAGE SHACK LINK AND AN ATTACHMENT. ALSO MENTIONED HOW TO USE FULL SIZE IMAGES INSTEAD OF THUMBS LIKE YOU ASKED. HOPE YOU GET THEM.

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Thanks Doc.
I'm sorry, I didn't get your e-mail. I guess I should have gotten ahold of you earlier, I apologize. I'm thinking my wife may have deleted it before I checked the mail and she probably didn't recognize the name. I'll see if I can get things fixed up tonite as I'm just getting ready for work. See everyone later.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening everyone.
As you see, the banner is finally up, thanks again to Doc. I guess I will continue on some more history of B/A and then post a few more pictures.
In 1908, B/A built Canada's third refinery on the eastern waterfront in Toronto. The main product they refined in the day was kerosene and the gasoline was being dumped into the swamp, because at the time, it was a useless by-product, yeesh!
In 1909, B/A expanded towards the west into Quebec, a few years later in 1913, B/A expanded from 3 acres to 40 acres in Toronto and production went up to 32,000 barrels per month. It was in these years the stations started to show up and the visible gas pumps were becoming popular.
In 1914 and 1915, Never-Nox and Peerless Premium gas and Autolene motor oils were introduced.
In 1920, B/A bought out the Winnipeg Oil Co. and expanded into the prairie provinces.
In 1922, Albert Ellsworth and H.W. Knight started the first company in Canada to manufacture a visible gas pump along with other sevice station equipment, and it was called The Clear Vision Pump Co.
In 1924, B/A formed the Toronto Pipeline Co. to get into the U.S. as a producing company to gather oil from the Illinios oil field.
In 1925, the first B/A owned gas station opened in Toronto on the corner of Bloor Street and Delaware Ave. Also set up the British American Oil Producing Co. in the U.S. to develop B/A oilfields in the southern U.S.
In 1926, B/A had the second highest sales in Canada.
In 1927, President S.R. Parson died and Albert Ellsworth took over as President. The Clearvision Pump Co. was renamed Service Station Equipment Co. which in turn was renamed International Metal Industries LTD.
In 1928, B/A introduced the Bow-Tie logo.
I think I will stop there for now and continue on into the '30's next time. As for now, I will post a few more pictures.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

[img]

Here are some pictures of a few B/A stations. The bottom 2 are from Saskatoon Saskatchewan, the top one is from the cover of the B/A dealer magazine. This picture shows a great example of the B/A uniforms, as well as some of the signage.
KLB.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Ken are you going to red deeer show?

ward

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hi Ward.
Yup, I sure am. I will be there early Saturday morning and plan on staying all day. Are you going? I'm going to try and remember my camera and I'll take some pics while there.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening everyone. Instead of more history tonight, I thought I would post some pictures. I'm going to post some pictures of the smaller cans from B/A.

The first set is of outboard motor oil. I know of three other different types. Second set is of Frost cop Antifreeze. Third set is of Diesellube,and fourth set is of Auto. trans fluid.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-03-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening everyone.
I guess I will continue on with some more history, into the thirties.
1930, B/A made plans for a new refinery in Montreal to process crude oil from Texas.
1931, B/A started a fleet of 5 tanker ships, and will add to the fleet as years progress.
1933, Due to the depression, and the dirty thirties on the Prairies, B/A employees took a cut in wages, but no one was laid off.
1934, B/A built Canada's first Absorption Plant at Longview Alberta and also built a 50 mile pipeline from Cutbank Montana to the Coutts Alberta refinery.
1936, B/A had a total of 5,500 company and dealer owned service stations and 813 bulk plants.
1938, Construction was underway in Calgary Alberta for a new refinery. B/A subsidiaries in the U.S. extended down into Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas.
1941, A refinery in Clarkson Ontario which was already under construction was being modified due to the war effort to produce Aviation fuels and oils. The tanker fleet was also used to haul fuel and oil to England.
1943, The Executive Vice President of the B/A subsidiary company in the U.S., became the President of B/A as Albert Ellsworth was in poor health, and stayed on as a Chairman, which he stayed as, until his death.
1944, Of the 840 B/A employees who went off to war, all of them were hired back and those who did not, were honored by B/A. B/A bought out Union Oil Co. Of Canada on the west coast and Vancouver Isle, and becoming a Company stretching from coast to coast which was Albert Ellsworth's dream. B/A also expanded in the U.S. with 375 wells at the Steamboat Butte and Pilot Butte oil fields near Casper Wyoming. B/A was named the exclusive distributor of Fisk Tires in Canada. 1946, Right after the war, Gulf Oil bought a 20% interest in B/A
1948, The new round logo, red,green and white was introduced. The bow-tie was used for a while with the round logo for a smooth transition.
I think I will stop here for now and continue next time into the '50's. I will round up some more pictures in the meantime.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

In these pictures, the top picture was taken at an auction sale a few years ago and this bulk plant and sign was sold. This was the typical style of building on the Prairies from the '20's into the '70's.
The next picture is from the same sale and has a bow-tie, and a round style sign and beside it, the Gulf sign.
The last sign was sent to me by Rod VanPelt, Rod has a neet little story behind it, Rod, if you read this please join in and tell us your story if you can.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-04-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

In these series of pics, the top picture is a wiper blade cabinet, the second picture is a "hard to find" B/A clock, not perfect, has a crack that's been repaired and doesn't keep perfect time, but it's nice just to have one. The bottom picture is of a Bennett pump from Ralph Falvo's collection. My wife and I had the pleasure a few years ago to take a private tour of his collection, beautifull! And a very nice fellow as well. It was after that tour the wife thought that it was o.k. for me to collect this "junk".
How am I doing so far everyone? Is it too boring? If anyone has any pictures or stories or history, please feel free to post. There must be a few signs, etc make their way south of the border because I've seen a few of them in posts this last week. Some of you Canadian people please post some pictures of your "stuff".
Ken.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Ken,
Great Job with the History and collectibles of B/A. I really am enjoying reading about this company that drilled for oil here in western Nebraska in the early 50s when oil was first discovered. Although some of these wells are still producers, their volume has dropped.
This B/A lease porcelain sign, pictured above, was on my Grandpa's/Grandma's farm/ranch as B/A leased their land in the early 50s for drilling wells on their land. They found the first oil on their land and some of these wells are still producing. My cousin told me I should have the sign about 5 yrs. ago since I collected gas/oil stuff.
Anxious to see more info and collectibles of B/A.
Rod van Pelt

------------------

[This message has been edited by danceswithpumps (edited 05-05-2007).]

S
S
I remember that refinery in Clarkson well. After BA, it was Gulf, then PetroFina, then Petro Canada.
The units built to produce the high-octane component for aviation gasoline in the 40s were a Fluid Catalytic Cracker Unit, and an hydroflouric acid alkylation unit. The Alky was a nasty unit to work on because the acid is extremely hazardous to work with. Was a reaction unit, took a molecule of butylene (C4)and a molecule of iso-butane (also C4), and combined them to form one molecule of iso-octane (C8).
It was decommissioned in the 80's.

Great work on a great Canadian Company, Ken!

[This message has been edited by silent chief (edited 05-05-2007).]

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hi All.
Just got in from outside and thought I would drop a quick line. Thanks a million Rod and Silent Chief for your posts. Great stories. I should be back on track tomorrow nite as I went to a swap meet in Red Deer yesterday and was pooped out when I got back around 7:00 pm, and chores to do outside today as it was a beautifull day. I also will have some buys of the week to post tomorrow too when I get the pictures ready. Have a good nite.
Ken.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Ken

I went to the red deer swap meet too friday and saturday did not buy a lot but it is nice to meet some of the collectors that you know.

ward

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Ken

Thanks for taking the time to do this... Your doing a great job and your collection is awesome !

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Thanks everyone for the kind words, it's been a blast doing this. Ward, too bad we couldn't have met up, next time.
It's getting late but I think I will do a few years into the '50's and tomorrow nite post some more pictures maybe.
In 1950, Albert Ellsworth died on Nov.29 at the age of 74.
1951, B/A President Whiteford took a position with Gulf Oil in the U.S. and Ole Burg Jr. took over as President.
1952, a new lake tanker was built, bringing the total number of B/A Tankers to 22.
1953, one more Tanker-B/A Canada was launched.
1954, B/A introduced the first internally lighted signs for their service stations.
1955, things were starting to get big. Sales of refined products reached almost 34 million Barrels through 7,500 Dealers and Farm Distributors and 320 Branches and Agencies. B/A had 27,000 shareholders and 5,765 employees.
M.S. Beringer became President. Oil production in Canada and U.S. reached a record of 10.5 million barrels and had reserves of 113 million barrels of crude and 404 billion cubic feet of gas and total refinery output for the year was over 33 million barrels.
To be continued....
Good nite folks.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hello guys 'n gals.
Steve Quick sent me these great pictures of an awsome oil bottle rack of his, and a poster of Mr. B/A giving motorists a warning. Thanks Steve.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Hi again.
I thought I would post some pics of 3 of my pumps, well 2 0f them as the 756 now resides with Gary and Lesley Krpan of Grande Prairie, Alberta.
These pumps were all original B/A pumps, the tall 600 series pump is still original, but I touched it up with a spray bomb to make it a little more presentable, it still has the original B/A 88 decal on the door. It sits outside my garage door and it probably will stay this way for a long time other than maybe a globe for it.
The 1066 resides in my basement. Interestingly enough, and I don't have anything to back this up with other than just noticing in pictures and what I've seen is that B/A used the Bennett pumps quite a bit. They obviously used other brands, but I seem to see more Bennetts than any others. I also know of one other 600 series Bennett that I have been trying to get for a few years in Saskatchewan that was B/A 88 as well.
Ken.
Oh yeah, Brad Ralston, gasoildude, do you remember when I bought the window trim from you a few years ago? The 1066 here is the one it went on.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-08-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might want to note also for the globe collectors Ken that B/A made a bunch of different original globes but they never made one like the one on your pumps nor did they make a 15 inch steel band globe....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Thank you minuteman, that is a good point. The globe like on my pumps are a fantasy globe I do beleive. I don't think I've ever seen any other type of globe other than the bow-tie globe. Joe Kelly I think has at least one, and Lloyd Dietz had, at one time, one or two bow-tie globes.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

The pictures pretty much explain themselves.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

And a few more before retiring for the evening. Tomorrow night: more history, and probably more pictures. nighty-night.
Ken.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M

[This message has been edited by mobil100 (edited 05-09-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening folks. Tonight we will continue with some more history.
In 1956, B/A participated in forming CANSULEX, a sulpher exporting company, and increased it's ownership in Shawinigan Holdings Ltd.
Also in 1956, B/A bought out the Canadian Gulf Oil Company from the parent Gulf Company for 8.3 million common shares of B/A and the B/A Producing Company in the U.S.
Up to this point, Gulf had 25% of the B/A shares, B/A now increased it's land holdings in western Canada from 1,000,000 to 11,000,000 acres, increased it's crude reserves 10 times and B/A had the largest Natural Gas reserves in Canada.
It seems like B/A had taken over a subsidiary of a foreign company, but actually a foreign company had now control of B/A.
In 1957, M.S. Beringer retired and E.D.Brockett took over as President. Brockett was formerly the Vice President of Gulf Oil.
Velvet 98 gas was also introduced.
Mr. B/A was introduced. The Mr. B/A likeness was taken from a man by the name of Don Mark. He was working at a B/A service station in Oshawa, Ont. at the time. Apparently he is still doing well after his retirement from Gulf Oil.
I think I will stop there for now, and we can continue with the '60's next time.
Ken.

Here is a scan of Mr.B/A from the back of a map.
KLB.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-10-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

A few 5 Gallon oil pails and 25 lbs grease pails.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-10-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

A few more transitional style, a 13 gallon drum, a 10 lbs gease pail and a grease gun cartridge.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Some one and 2 gallon cans and some 5 lb grease tins.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Various one gallon tins.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening everyone.
Just posting a few pictures. A Velvet 98 porc. pump plate, two tin painted tire display inserts.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Here are two different plaques, one with the orange/blue logo, and one with red/green logo. The paper towels were 2-plys, the printed ply was impregnated with soap, so the attendant could spray the w/s, use the printed side to wash the w/s and the plain side to dry it. Cool huh?
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-11-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posting these for DoDo........

This one was mine at one time...........

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Right on! Thanks for the pictures guys, those are a good example of the early logos. I remember seeing that bottle rack of yours Lance.
Just got back from a show and shine in Didsbury, about 9 miles from here, I wish I had brought my camera, again! Awsome vehicles, all local, Calgary, Red Deer, even a few from Edmonton. Probably around 300 vehicles.
I will post a picture for Dodo soon, and see if he recognizes it.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-12-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

DoDoGas, you probably recognize the farm filter doncha? I got that from DoDo off e-bay a few years ago. The second pic is an original Minnitoys B/A tanker that I restored, and last pic is an original tanker with a restored tractor.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Here we have some B/A floor paint, a fan belt, filter cartridge, a seal and thermostat, and a B/A spark plug.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening everyone.
I hope everyone had a good Mother's Day, especially the Moms.
I guess I will continue a little bit into the '60's tonight.
In 1960 E.D. Brockett returned to Gulf as President and E.D. Loughney became President of B/A.
In 1961, B/A Sentinel Tires replaced Fisk Tires.
In 1962, B/A bought the Anglo-American Exploration Company Ltd. from Sam and Carl Nickle of Calgary. This gave B/A around 700 Purity 99 stations in western Canada and Ontario.
Also in the same year, B/A purchased Royalite Oil Company and Superior Propane.
1963- B/A now had over 9,300 stations and various other outlets in Canada with the buyouts of Royalite, Purity 99 and Red Head, these companies continued business under their names without the general public knowing that B/A owned them. All this accounted for 25% of all the sevice stations in Canada and was reported to be the second largest oil company in Canada, behind Imperial Oil.
That's all for tonight folks, everyone have a good night.
Ken.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couple BA cans 5 qt to me- really Imperial gallons- thanks Don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Ken for showing us B/A! You are doing a great job and have spent a lot of time and effort putting it together to share with us.
After looking through my pictures I don't have a single B/A item to add but am enjoying the posts.

Tok likes COTM

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Wow, thanks Don and Tok. Yes, now I realize how much time and effort it takes to do these things on here, downloading pictures and posting, getting the information and typing it out on the computer,etc, but it really has been a blast, and I'm glad everyone is enjoying it.
I came across a pic of another pump I restored a few years ago for my friends the Krpans, they wanted the bow-tie logos on it. Now, some of the people in the "know" of the globes better than me can correct me, but I think this is the original type of globe style that B/A used until they phased out the bow-tie. This one came from Kim at Service Station Nostalgia in Edmonton, Alberta. On a side note, if anyone is going through Edmonton, get ahold of Kim and drop by his place, it is really cool, and Kim is a great guy too.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Oops, I didn't mean to repost the pump pic. The second pic down is a number game for the kids on a trip to keep them quiet, I guess, the next one is a give-away to stick on your rear bumper of you vehicle, and the last, I just took a pic of the whole shadow box. It contains a cardboard or heavy paper mega-phone advertising velvet 98 and 88 gasoline, that is the only one I have ever seen, a pocket protector for "gas geeks", some patches, oil change stickers, pipe tag, credit card stubs,and station reminders.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-14-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-14-2007).]

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Good work Ken , yes I remember the farm filter that you got from me, got some great stuff from that person.

The 2 tins of mine posted I think are from the 20,s, grease pail maybe earlier. I also have a nicer Autolene under seat can than the one picture pictured.

I just realized I may have something else for you. It is a pump topper about 22 inches long or so and a foot high with an arrow pointing down. Says This is FINAL FILTERING and is die cut metal with suction cup feet(2 of the 4 are there) It goes on a pump with no globe, had it on a 59 Bennet that was Dark Green ..BA.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Just a quick post tonight. Kim Pyett sent me a coupla pics for you globe and can guys. The globe is a one piece baked-on lettering, and a very old, and rare Ford under-the-seat can. Very cool, thanks a million Kim.
I'm just about at the end of the history lesson, so I'm just spacing it out a bit with some pictures, I appreciate the ones that have been sent to me, they are great, keep them coming. Andre, please try to repost the pic you tried before, we would all like to see. Dodo, I think I know excactly the one your talkin' about, I think I have some old pics of one, I will try and find them and post them. Let me know what yer askin' for it.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-15-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-15-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Hey Dodo, I'm thinking your sign looks like the ones in the pictures. I scanned these out of one of my B/A dealer magazines. Cool tow truck too huh?

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-16-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Alright everyone, howze about a few maps and map cases. The top 2 pics are 2 different map cases from B/A. The maps range from the bow-tie era, to the transition from the bow-tie to the red/green logo, from the red/green logo to the blue/orange logo and from the blue/orange logo to the Gulf logo.
B/A also had birds on the front covers of their maps for many years, these illistrations were drawn by F. Lansdowne. Many people collect the maps just for the many different versions of birds on them. There also is a small write up on the back cover of the map of the particular fowl on the front cover.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Here is a pic of three different types of thermometers.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

And a pic of some different size and styles of patches.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Why not a cardboard visor for all you poker players out there?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
That is the sign I got!!!, it has some paint loss on the edge in spots, not real bad though.

Man would I like to see a close up of the paper towel rack decal, I think I would like one!!

I got the two older maps you show, and a postcard of a station in Prince George with the globe minuteman sent a pic of. I also have an unused creditcard book and a bowtie hatbadge. (keeper)

Ever sen the plastic BA teepee the gave out in the 60,s??

Keep the BA stuff coming, really enjoy seeing it.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Hello Folks.
Last night Dodo mentioned how he like the towel dispenser decal on the pump island in one of my old pics, so I went through mt B/A Dealer magazines and found a little bit better one, it's a bit grainy from the scan, but it is neat.
The next 2 pics are from the magazines again. The second one shows the rest room key tags and holder which had eluded me over the years, and the last one is of a rare, or at least very hard to get map holder, hopefully these also will turn up someday and have a spot in my collection.
Check out some of the cool stock on the shelves of the second pic.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-17-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Here's a coupla pics of some lighters and some match books. The bottom two matchbooks that have Herb and Rollie Davis on them, I recieved from Herb. He invited me over to his place one night and told me his story of his life with B/A, very interesting man. Gave me a full case of these matches and an old B/A Heavy Duty Oil can.
The second pic is of two different types of oil change stickers.
Oh yeah, Dodo, I did see one of those tee-pee's on e-bay a while back never saw it before that or since.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

These set of pictures start off with a hat badge, a driver safety badge and a heater fuel filler pipe tag.
The next pic is of a hockey puck, of all things, yes it is real, I confirmed it with Alex.
Next set is a barrel bung cover, just grab the tab and pull, a coupla key chains and a bottle cap.
Next pic is a billfold with a neet little saying on it with a penny under a clear plastic sheild.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening folks.
I think I will continue on with a little more history. I'm almost to the end so I will break this last few segments up and then finish off the month with pictures and posts from other people(hopefully).
In 1963, B/A was drilling a well north of Swift Current Saskatchewan and hit a huge volume of Helium, and formed an equal partnership with the British Oxygen Company of England and L'air Liquide of France to form Canadian Helium Ltd.
On a side note to this, I grew up about 30 miles north of this Helium plant and we would drive by it everytime we went into Swift Current. The plant shut down somewhere around 1971,1972,or 1973, I can't remember the exact date, and became a scrap metal salvage yard, the last time I went past there, about 6 to 8 years ago it still was a salvage yard and the original building was still in use. Another interesting note, is that a picture and short write up was in the Canadian schools high school Social Studies text books, in the mid to late '70's, not sure if it is still in them. Any of you Northern people around my age remember that?? I think grade 9 or 10 text books.
In 1964, B/A bought 96% of the Royalite Oil Company shares with over 700 stations and bulk outlets.
B/A also opened a Research and Development facility near Toronto.
E.D. Loughney stepped down to Sr. Vice-President of Gulf Oil and Charles Hay, former President of Royalite became the last B/A President.
Gulf Oil Corp. had now aquired 64.8% of the outstanding shares of B/A.
In 1966, the Anglo-Canadian name was phased out. B/A sold it's U.S. subsidiaries to the Chared Corp. of Dallas, Texas which Gulf Oil gained these assets for $86.1 million.
Next time, I will finish off the history lesson, in the mean time I will post a few pictures.
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

In these set of pics, the first one is a set of different invoice reciepts that B/A used.
The next 4 pics may be of some interest to Lastgas Bob as I know he collects gas station blueprints. This one is a site blueprint of a station proposed on highway 2 at Innisfail Alberta, about half way between Calgary and Edmonton. I'm not sure, and haven't been able to confirm anything, but this station maybe still in existense under FasGas or RaceTrac Gas. The station does look old enough to be around the vintage of the blueprints, I'm still trying to find out.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-20-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening everyone. Things are starting to winde down for cotm, I have one last installment of the history I will do in a coupla days, in the mean time I will fill in with as many pictures as I can. Tonite I will post a few pics of some paper items, a few magazine adds, and a coupla t.s.b.'s and a restaurant place mat.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good Evening everyone.
I will finish up the history tonight and then finish off the month with pictures, hopefully there will be some others that can share some pictures and stories.
In 1967, B/A changed it's colors and a slightly different style from green/red to blue/orange. They did this to ease the Canadian public into the Gulf color scheme without the abrupt change to the Gulf logo.
In 1968, B/A acquired Gulf Oil's intrest in Shawinigan Chemicals Ltd, increasing Gulf's holding in B/A to 69%.
In 1969, January 1, B/A, Royalite, and Shawinigan Chemicals amalgamated under the name of Gulf Oil Canada Ltd, marking the end of the British American Oil Company.

Well folks, that is the history of British American Oil Co., I hope it wasn't too boring and hopefully it shed a little light on this company for those of you south of the border.
I will finish off the month posting pictures, so if anyone else has any stories, comments or pictures, please feel free to do so. If anyone has some pictures and can't post, also feel free to send them to me and I will post.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-26-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
How about a few pics of some lube charts and a tractor maintenance guide and a trucking log book.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
And two samples of calenders.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Good evening all. Just a few more pictures for viewing. Some writin' tools, and a coin holder, a mechanics beanie, and hat.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-28-2007).]

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

This pack of pics features a window scraper,a cool milk glass ash tray, it has the same writing on all three sides, and two different styles of drinking glasses and a coffee mug.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

In this cluster of pictures there are two styles of credit books, the second pic is the insides of each book and the last pic is a mileage chart.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K

Good evening everyone. Well, being cotm is almost over, I thought I would let you folks know who was behind the scenes this month. Some of you will remember this post a few years ago under "my 15 minutes of fame" thread. This was an article the Saskatoon Star Phoenix did of me about two and a half years ago. Click on the thumbnail, then click on the picture again and it will enlarge to read it better. Enjoy.
Ken.

[This message has been edited by Ken Bird (edited 05-29-2007).]

P
P
Good job Ken..........I enjoyed learning more about British American Oil. Was wondering if you ran across any connection between B/A and Socony. I have this small celluloid-backed hand mirror........

the only thing missing here is the word "British"........as you indicated, Peerless was a brand name B/A used for their motor oil. I got this from Europe and have always wondered about it. Any info you have would be appreciated.

Richard

[This message has been edited by pegasus (edited 05-30-2007).]

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hey Richard,
Well, the only connection that I have found between B/A and SCONY is that Albert Ellsworth who founded B/A, worked for Standard Oil Co. out of Buffalo N.Y. for a few years before he started out on his own. Just a coincidense? I can't find anything else to connect the two, maybe someone else may know?
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Good evening everyone.
I guess this is the last day for cotm, and I just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments and for the pictures, stories and information that was directed my way. I had a blast doing it, I hope it wasn't too boring with the history or the pictures of my collection, other than a few pictures that members sent, I didn't have any thing else to show.
I do believe that Wes is up next,starting tomorrow ,good luck Wes and have fun!
Ken.

K
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hi all.
I was talking to Alex Colwell about the cotm, and he had mentioned a gentleman by the name of Doug Hand who had helped him with his web site and the history of British American Oil, a big "Thank You" goes out to these two people from me, because if it were not for these two men, I wouldn't have been able to do this.
Ken.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ken,

Your knowledge of BA and associated companies in CDN was great.
Can you give me some idea of history, value, rarity of these signs.
They are from a few BC gas stations.

Thanks,

Royalite-sml.jpg Home Gas BC sml.jpg BA Bulk & Home sml.jpg
R
R
awesome stuff

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved