Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#103359 Mon Nov 27 2006 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
When we started Buys Of The Week the intent was to have a feature where collectors could showcase their recent buys. Every week I get complaints about:
1. Dealers posting their inventory here instead of in the For Sale or Trade forum. 2. Non-petro items being posted in BOTW.
3. The size of some images.

At this time dealers are allowed to post their RECENT purchases but not existing inventory. Its a fine line, but as long as the items aren't being advertised for sale we are allowing them to be posted. Do to the volume of complaints that policy may change.

Images of non-petro items will be deleted from all Showcase features. We will continue to allow automotive related advertising images.

Many Shop Talk users have dial up connections. The size of many of the images being posted are a real problem for them. Keep your image size at 640 X 480 or smaller! Image Shack has a thumbnail option that you should consider using.

Bob Drake
Lastgas15, Oldgas.com admin.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#103360 Mon Nov 27 2006 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Bob- whats a dealer?? just about everyone who posts on old gas collects and sells some of their extras-- I posted 2 items I found last week that are already in my site as for sale- 2 items that Im not keeping were already posted in For Sale on old gas- Guess I could wait to post for sale till after I post in buys of the week- we all know that numerous times buys of the week produce email from other collectors that are interested in the posted item- hopefully this is not a conflict of personalities that created this post

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#103361 Mon Nov 27 2006 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Don,
People difine "dealer" differently. That is why we have allowed dealers to post their new aquistions as long as they don't advertise them as being for sale.
I get a lot of email about this. I don't think it has anything to do with personalities.
You brought up a good point about people emailing those that have posted their BOTW wanting to buy them. I get a fair amount of complaints about that too. In fact some have gone so far as to stop posting in any of the features in this forum because of collectors and dealers hounding them.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#103362 Mon Nov 27 2006 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to share my opinion of the differances. Everyone that collects sells from time to time or upgrades or even buying something that was a good deal to sell for a litle profit. This does not make him a dealer. Buying many things and selling almost everything you own is a dealer.
I know everyone can't be happy all the time and oldgas is going to get complaints. I haven't complained about anything but since Bob brought it up i am on dial-up and yes it takes for ever to load images so i can relate.

I always thought buys of the week was to show items you have bought for your collection. That doesn't mean you got a good deal or paid way more for it than you should have (which i just recently did... LOL) But just showing what you added to the collection.

Buying something for resale only and never intended for your collection should be placed in the for sale section.
I am guilty of asking if something is for sale once or twice... sorry i couldn't help myself.
Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#103363 Tue Nov 28 2006 09:03 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How about just limiting the picture posting to maybe three pictures per person per week? If you want to show off a bunch of stuff you would just have to do a group photo to post.
I cannot recall another web site were people post a huge amount of pictures that everyone has to waite through to view a topic.
I would say in the for sale section same policy. For dial up users a huge string of pictures ruins this site. The big dealers should have the courtesy to not do the damage they are obviously doing. I KNOW I am not alone with this view.
Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
#103364 Tue Nov 28 2006 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...everyone's being pretty coy about this - isn't this really about a specific non-collector posting large photos of their burgeoning 'family investment' portfolio, one at a time, in BOTW every week?...

...it seems to me that allowing "dealers to post their new aquistions as long as they don't advertise them as being for sale" is basically a waste of bandwidth given the fact that dealers can post under 'For Sale or Trade' for FREE...and, seriously, does anyone browsing Oldgas, looking for stuff to buy, scroll through BOTW without looking at the 'For Sale or Trade' forum?...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
#103365 Tue Nov 28 2006 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No, this is not about any one person. We receive complaints about this weekly, and the complaints are about more than one person.
We're looking at a few possible sollutions.

#103366 Tue Nov 28 2006 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF the items aren't For Sale thru BOTW, why show Both sides of a sign or globe ?
Why post a Phone # & Email w/ every post ?
Isn't that what the icons are for ?
db

#103367 Tue Nov 28 2006 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I for one have high speed internet and enjoy seeing a lot of signs, for sale, private collecton or whatever. If the issue is slow downloads for dial up users, why not start a new heading under shop talk specifically for the big groups of pictures. That way, if you want to see all the stuff people have to show, you can look. If not, don't click on the link. I like seeing what Ron, Butch and others with deeper pockets than I have pick up.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
#103368 Tue Nov 28 2006 04:45 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I like seeing it all. I use that option on Imageshack called "Thumbnail for forums". when I post a picture. Isn't that what we are supossed to be using? I don't know what size they are, but I think that what the designers of this site want us to use. Please advise if different.

MB
#103369 Tue Nov 28 2006 04:45 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Just goes to show ya, SOMEbody's gonna complain about SOMEthing, no matter what...

What I fail to understand is why these complainers wanna complain and waste the moderators' time---last time I looked, this was a site free for all of us to use. If ya wanna gripe, start yer OWN site(and yes, I have contributed a few $$$ to Jim to help with the site, so I figure I got a right to say this)
Dealers? What exactly constitutes a dealer?? Has anybody here NOT EVER sold anything and made a profit???

I LIKE seeing pics---especially some of that high-dollar-molded-from-un-obtanium stuff that there's no DOUBT it's for sale.
but..but...but....somebody's "offended" cause a pic might connect the owner with a guy who's been looking for THAT EXACT ITEM and some money might change hands(and somebody might make a profit--boo hoo)

Man, what a waste of bandwidth this thread is....Sorry Jim.
Hi Bob.

Rant over.

#103370 Tue Nov 28 2006 05:24 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
this is the reason why alot people dont post on here . i like to see as much as posible . i think its great . ive got dail up. i look at the wait. like waiting for check the oil every bi month . most the of the time you see it here first anyway . but i still enjoy the wait and wish i got here fast. old gas is great . drama not so great.

#103371 Tue Nov 28 2006 05:31 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Personal vendettas & cliques are nearly impossible to avoid. Sad. I've been posting on here since '99 and I got worked over for trying to sell parts to people asking for them when there were less than 200 users. Only stands to reason that as the sight grows, so will the issues.

#103372 Tue Nov 28 2006 06:29 PM
We do get complaints by email regularly over these issues, so it's good to let you guys have a say about it. Thanks for the opinions.

To me it's more of a courtesy thing. We need to respect the other guy.

* Post items that are really intended for resale in the For Sale forum rather than the Showcase Buy of the Week topic. This issue upsets many people, so why not follow that guideline?

* Using the "thumbnail code" from ImageShack shows consideration for the many dial-up users we have. This makes a real difference when a lot of images are on one page.

Most of us love to see pictures of cool petro and auto service stuff. We don't want to nit-pick image contributors, but if we take no action, we show disrespect to the concerns of other members.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#103373 Tue Nov 28 2006 07:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The only complaint that I have is seeing all those high end signs that some people seem to have coming out of there ears and me not able to get my hands on them! Its tough to see them and then....imagine the PRICE! yikes! Maybe I should get serious and only buy a really nice sign every now and then instead of many common ones?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved