Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The topic came up in another post on reproduced globes. I know there are guys that collect these so lets post pictures of them and tell where they came from... like Vintage logos, Mike Slama, Pogo and ect. I know we do globes of the month so i guess this would be close to that in it's own way.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, i really like to have original globes on my pumps and have some ...my Bennett 76 done to Metro has an orig Metro 16.5 globe (thanks Cheese) and orig pump plates (thanks Rex). I have a skychief pump w/orig globe and signs. Some of my pumps have repop globes..the 15" repop globes that are available are great but live in boxes until they are ready to live ontop of the pump. They are more affordable than originals and can give you different choices when restoring a pump. I would love all my globes to be original ...but some of the more graphic globes arent within my wallets reach. I am working on a 30's Victor clockface pump which will be a H.Earl Clack pump..that will have one of Lances globes atop it...but until then...the globe is in storage...hopefully that pump will be done in a couple months...I will post pics...believe me..I cant wait till its done. its all about time and money...never seems to be enough...LOL

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see how you are Hubba......no thanks to me for the original Mobilgas Special and Mobil Premium globes or the Skychief globe.
Good thing I have thick skin. LOL

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hubba, I wasn't talking about repop globes guys have on there pumps. I can understand pump guys putting repop globes on pumps. I am talking about guys that are buying repop globes and displaying them on shelves.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL...I have more to thank you for than original globes Pops...LOL. Hows about years of Friendship and guidence
But Yes Buddy..Thanks for the original skychief/mobilgas special/and premium...LOL...oh yes, the originals ...they are on display ..my skins thicker Pops...LMAO

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
I would love to show my Limited edition Globes, but most of them are packed ( I'll be moving soon ) and the other problem that I have is the fact that I don't have a digital camara, But I'm a collector of these globes I don't have a huge amount 20 to 30 maybe , I ,like a lot of people enjoy doing resto's on pumps buying original globes is to costly for me , So I prefer the 15" limited edition globes that Lance ,Slama ,and Pergl have to go on top of my pumps , I like graphic art globes and in the relm of originals thats a lot of bucks, My favorite globe of all is the Kunz Gasoline globe that Lance (pogo) did a while back, this globe has a lot of memories for me as a kid growing up, Lance and Mike slama are making some of the best looking globes money can buy, I do have a couple originals but I prefer limitid edition, the fun in this hobby for me is to find the right pump to go with just the right globe,I will buy a globe and then I start looking at the shows and through Jacks book for just the right one to park the globe on, Its funny when people come over ,I tell them that they are remakes of originals, but they really don't care , they are in total awe standing there staring at them, after I get into this new house ,I'm sure I will be back buying more Limited edition globes, lance has several that I want and my Buddy T-Way is making some awesome art for some globes for mike that I will own,We all look at globes like pieces of art, and coupled with the right pump they become three demensional sculptures, Hopfully mine will all be on there own pump someday , and I will find enjoyment every day that I look at them

Chris Holt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY JARVIS, IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN?
I'M DISPLAYING A REPRO GLOBE HERE ON A BASE AND IT SITS ON MY BEDROOM DRESSER AND LIGHTS UP EVERYNIGHT BETWEEN 4:30 AND 11:00PM. I HAVE BEEN BUYING REPRO GLOBES LATELY JUST TO PUT THEM ON BASES AND DISPLAY THEM IN PLACE OF TABLE LAMPS ETC.

DOC @ TAG/WEST

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 02-01-2005).]

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Doc, You got it! I am not sitting here bad mouthing people that do it. I know it's not cheap to buy original globes but here is my thought. How can you buy one and say it's a piece of history when it was made last year. That reminds me of car guys... some couldn't care less if it's real or not as long as it look good next to the car and is cheap. But a collector of gas and oil stuff... I couldn't have that globe sitting around my house. It doesn't bother me that you guys have them i just don't understand why... excluding the pump restorers.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELL, I DON'T COLLECT THE REAL DEALS....SO IT'S JUST AN EXCUSE TO GET A FEW CHEAP AND REPLACE THE NORMAL EVERYDAY TABLE LAMPS WITH A NICE APPEALING PIECE OF ADVERTISING HISTORY AND STILL BE ABLE TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE!
AND BELIEVE ME JJ, I'M NERVOUS EVEN HANDLING THESE REPRO'S! LOL!

DOC @ TAG/WEST

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I completely understand what Jarvis is saying but everyone has their own wallet limitations.I collect gas pumps but mostly collect the original globes.Usually the rarer gas pumps get the original globes because the more common pumps get sold off and pump buyers arent going to pay top dollar for our expensive globes when all they want is the pump!

------------------

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hi Sslick68!! Welcome to old gas!!! Be sure and post some pictures of the pumps and globes you have. Don

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HERE'S WHERE MY MOST RECENT REPRO GLOBES ENDED UP FOR THE MOMENT ( I MOUNT THEM ON WOODEN PLAQUES WITH RUBBER FEETS )

MOBILOIL/GARGOYLE ON A NEW BOOKCASE FROM IKEA IN MY DINING ROOM!

TYDOL WITH THE PAINTED ON BLACK BORDER ON MY NIGHT STAND!

BOTH LIT BY 40W G25 GLOBE BULBS.

AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING REPRO GLOBES NOT ON PUMPS? IF SO, I NEED THERAPY!

WHERE IS EVERYBODY ELSE?

DOC @ TAG/WEST

+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Doc I think they look great , maybe everybody thinks the repro cops will get them if they show there stuff, LOL The reproduction Police are tough

Chris Holt
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Doc, I'm afraid that you're the only one that would ever consider displaying one of those "reproduction" globes all by iteslf and then admit it on this site.

Actually, I kind of like your table lamp idea. With the cost of table lamps being what they are these days, why not.

Let me ask my wife what she thinks of that idea.

"Are you out of your flippin' mind?!?!"

Maybe not!

That's one of the benefits of being single Doc, you get to pick out the table lamps.

C Cragg
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looks good Doc... Everyone has the right to collect what they want and display what they want. I would rather buy a repop globe than a couple of them "collectible" die-cast nascars. How can they make them today and call them collectible. Hope know one here collects them because i don't want to start an arguement. LOL

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
now... would you call this look repro.. or retro... how about... no-no.... lol...

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
This post has been continued to Dave Kois Barrett-Jackson Photos post. How it got there I'll never know???

You original globe guys better get over there and support JJ.

C Cragg
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Displaying repro globes?...why not...No one but the VERY slim protion of the population that collects gas stuff will know the difference. Most of the "car" guys I know have an appreciation for the old gas stuff, and many of these "car" guys don't know or don't care to know the difference.
To the true gas collector, I guess I can see the point of not displaying repro. But then again it depends on the circumstance. On that nice Base/Clear pump, why put a yellowed, worn looking globe on it when a clean repro can be had.

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
THE 'SAD' PART OF THE WHOLE DEAL IS:
IF YOU HAD 3,000,000.00 WORTH OF ORIGINAL GLOBES DISPLAYED WITH ONE 70 DOLLAR REPOP GLASS CROWN GLOBE SITTING AMONGST THEM & YOU LET THE 'GENERAL PUBLIC' IN TO TAKE A SNEAK PEEK THEY'D ALL RUN TO THAT CROWN & SAY "WOW" LOOKIT THIS ONE!!!

be a good time to start playing catch with it with your wife at 30 feet apart! L.O.L.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved