Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#104150 Tue Mar 16 2004 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Scott Benjamin sent in this picture and story about his first globe:

This is Scott Benjamin. This is my first globe I acquired in 1973 or 1974! It's a bit worn but I never had the heart to sell it! It came on top of an old Wayne 615 visible pump here in Ohio on a farm. I really just wanted the pump! Once a saw a second globe I was hooked! The guy told me don't break the globe because I would never find another!

Scott, thanks for sharing.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 03-16-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 03-16-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#104151 Tue Mar 16 2004 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK..My story isnt real interesting but I want to support Globe of the Month in anyway I can. Since I focused on quart cans and used repop globes for the pumps I did I never had an original globe until a few years ago. I thought about it and I belive this is my first globe. I got it off Ebay because I wanted to do a pump with original signs and globe.

This Texaco sky Chief globe sits atop the Bennett 966 I did.

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 03-16-2004).]

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#104152 Tue Mar 16 2004 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is Rex Benson's first globe and the story behind it.

I found 4 Richfield east globes b-hind my bulk plant in 1976 two were smashed with rocks I kept one & gave the other to a Mobil oil rep.
My son reminded me this week that he wants this globe & 2 others we had in our office he says he has memories of these globes the other globes are just globes.
Also there was a stack of blue porcelain letters that spelled RICHFIELD + other letters that I regret I left there.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#104153 Tue Mar 16 2004 05:52 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I wanted to pass on a little story regarding my post of a Sinclair globe with my wife holding it. When I went to take the picture last night I couldn't find an good place in my house to sit it with a contrasting background. My wife saw me struggling and she said "I'll hold it for you, just don't let me be in the picture". Me being the troublemaker I am she was included in the picture as you can see. Tonight when she saw me perusing oldgas and saw her picture on there she was ticked!! She said "you could've at least told me to smile, all of your gas friends are gonna think I'm a prick".
My story for the day.

Neal Dunn gpf

#104154 Tue Mar 16 2004 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is my first globe... not much about it. I got started like most with pumps and some signs and looked at globes maybe a year before i got the guts to buy one. All it took was the one and it was over, i bought about 3 more in the few months following. This one come from ebay and i can say the feeling of buying a globe is like no other. Keep'em coming!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#104155 Tue Mar 16 2004 08:10 PM
This is a great idea Bob. Here is my first and only original globe. Kind of matches me a Dorco. Ted

#104156 Fri Mar 19 2004 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jeff Johnson sent me this picture. He's going to tell the story about it later.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 03-19-2004).]

#104157 Fri Mar 19 2004 05:44 AM
Well, this is a pretty cool story, if I do say do myself. My father and I purchased our first globe at the first "big show" we decided to go to in Early 1999. For both of us, I think we thought a original globe was untouchable. We were early buyers at Peotone, Illinois (the weather was unbelievable for that this time of year- 70 degrees and sunny), walked through the doors and there it sat. We bought it pretty much on the spot as we got into a great conversation about Johnson Oil with the seller. This was our first meeting and the beginning of a great friendship with Ray and Jan May. They are wonderful people and really took us in under there wing. Turns out, this globe was a duplicate and that his favorite companies to collect was Johnson Oil. He educated us a great deal about the company we collected and the shows and people that participate in the hobby in general. Wayne Swearingin, organizer of the then once a year show, arranged to have Horton Johnson, one of five brothers that were Johnson Oil, to be at the show. He brought his son and grandson to check things out. From Left to Right in the pic, it is Woody Johnson, me, Matthew Johnson, my father and Horton. We were blown away by everything. To top the show off, after the crowd slowed in the afternoon, Ray got Jan to watch over his goodies, and Ray, my dad and I snuck off the his house the check out his collection. WE WERE SPEECHLESS. It didn't get any better than this. We flew into Chicago and had to get the globe back to Atlanta on the plane. It was a nightmare. We had it packed up in a box but didn't want it to be checked on. The box was JUST A LITTLE too big the go under the seat. After explaining ourselves and our package, we had gracious people in first class wanting to put the globe up with them, as they had room. We couldn't do that either according to the airline. Eventually, we had to put the globe in a Midway airport official trashbag with packing peanuts, and shove it in the overhead console. We were nervous wrecks the entire flight home. It made it! Probably the busiest day in that globe's life, and one of the best for my father and I. We met great true friends, got introduced to a hobby that we share a love for, and got to experience it all together, bonding like a father and son should. All because of that one globe. It is definitely worth more than we paid for it and remains a proud trophy in our collection. We'll never get rid of it.

Thanks for listening and thank you, Bob, for posting our picture and coming up with this great idea for "Globe of the Month". It is fun thinking about this stuff.

Jeff and Neil Johnson

#104158 Fri Mar 19 2004 06:36 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I guess I'm one of the guilty that can't remember their first globe. Due to my work schedule, today was the first chance I had to go down to the shop. Maybe by looking around, my memory would be "jogged". Nothing happened! What about my first sign...first can...first map??? Nothing!!! Now I do remember my first pump (with repo globe) so I guess I don't have TOTAL alzheimers. LOL I was asked for help on this topic and I can't deliver. For this let down, I apologize to everyone.

#104159 Fri Mar 19 2004 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY GARY, I THINK THEY CALL IT "OLD-TIMERS" DISEASE...OR "C.R.S."
I TOO HAVE NOTHING TO SUBMIT! I KNOW WHERE MY FIRST GLOBE IS....I JUST HAVE TO GET IT! SO WHILE THIS THREAD IS ACTIVE I WILL SHARE THIS
PRE-PURCHASE WITH YOU. PRAY FOR ME....I WANT THIS TO BE MY FIRST GLOBE!

CRAIG (flyingAman) DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THIS ONE IN HIS ALL TOO AWESOME COLLECTION....MUST BE RARE! LOL!!!

WISH ME LUCK!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#104160 Fri Mar 19 2004 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What an excellent story Jeff & Neal...........

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#104161 Fri Mar 19 2004 09:27 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
great globes and super stories, love it all great job on this topic bob, really enjoying it, cheese

#104162 Fri Mar 19 2004 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I do not remember my first globe. But, I wanted to share a story or two about globes that I do actually remember.
The first one is related to the "Colonial" globe (third from left) I was walking around Brimfield, Ma. (big week long antique show) about 12 years ago. The very last day, most everyone was packed up and gone, when I found five weird shaped glass pieces that I thought must have been some ad glass from a pump I didn't know about. I got a great price on all five pieces. Took them home, where they sat for a few years. One day, I called Scott Benjamin and asked if he had a clue what they fit. That's when I found out they were lens' for a globe. He told me about a guy who had reproduced the unusual shaped bodies, and suggested I call him. I did, and was able to get two bodies, in exchange for some $ and the fifth single lens, which was a "Colonial Winter". Up to that point, I hadn't a clue as to what I had. I have sense sold all but a few of my globes, so I can't get a better photo for you. Another story about a globe that I remember, was one day I was walking around the big Pomona auto swap meet, and found a texaco on glass body, with the brass base. I think I paid $75. for it and wondered if I had made a good deal. (This was quite a few years ago) I ran into Dick Bennett a few hours later at the show. He saw the globe, offered me $150. for it, and I sold it, making a killing off the old guy. Good ol' Dick, he seems to always get the last laugh. Those are my stories, and I'm sticking too it.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#104163 Fri Mar 19 2004 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
AquaElvis sent me this picture of his first globe.

Thanks to those that have posted so far.
Lets see some more!

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 03-19-2004).]

#104164 Fri Mar 19 2004 09:19 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
That was my first globe, I bought it right after I found this site. I got it on ebay, not much of a cool story. I just liked it and bought it.
I later found out about the the oil companies and where they were from. Now I am into the west coast stuff... maybe I'll find an original someday.
Don't think I'll ever do an Imperial pump but who knows?

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved